hello everyone i was just wondering if you could help me make my next step. iv been playing for just over a year i play six hours a day and 90% of that is attempting to learn solos. i know i posted about this before but i tried what you recommended and i haven't made any progress. no matter what i do i cant learn any solos the only ones i have been able to learn are smells like teen spirit and nothing else matters.but i want to play thrash metal solos and rock solos but i am having lots of trouble any advice at all would be welcome
Thrash metal and rock solos tend to be pretty challenging to say the least. At one year in, they're gonna be really, really tough to nail. One thing that a lot of soloists lack is confidence; they'll play the right notes, but they don't seem to believe they can do it, so the feel is all wrong.

The way I like to do to practice getting into that badass soloist mindset is to learn solos that are well within my skill range and just let myself get really 'into it', if that makes any sense. Then I'll try to take that kind of confidence from the easier solos and transpose it over to more technically challenging bits.

For thrash metal solos, that balls out confidence is absolutely key, so if you can really build that early on even on patronizingly easy solos, you'll have a much easier time getting into that mindset on hard solos down the road. Plus, when you've got a lot of confidence in your playing, even the easiest solo sounds really good to other people and you get that warm-fuzzy feeling on the inside when they tell you that you're awesome.
are you trying to transcribe it or just physically play it? both very different, but very important.
I know that thrash metal and rock solos are harder then other genres but I pick the solos that everyone recommends to beginners and I still can't learn them. Iv also never had the lead guitar player attitude I'm shy and am hard on my self. And right now I just want to learn how to play solos but I eventually want to write them
My dream as a guitar player was to play like my heroes but I'm no where near their iv tried learning acdc solos and i couldnt. let alone megadeath solos or even slash solos
In B4 the inevitable lock for buud9 threads...

If you're using HTML tabs, then you're gonna get frustrated. Sound like you're not using Guitar Pro tabs.

Best $50-60 you can spend toward your guitar skills.

Even if you can't find decent tabs in GP6, you can buy tab books and load the solos in manually.

The best advantage w/GP6 is you can hear what it should sound like as you see the notes going by. You can slow it down and even set it up to loop, with the tempo increasing at the rate you set.

You can also build a metronome track for it with the percussion instruments, or just use the built-in metronome.

Have you worked this into your warmup/practice routine? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/how_to_play_fast.html

If you get to where you can play these solos at 75% tempo, then hit a wall, then you might want to go to a teacher to see if you have some bad habits that are slowing you down.

That whole business about having the "lead guitar player attitude" vs. being "shy and am hard on my self" is a crock. Lots of virtuosos are extremely introverted. If you play fine by yourself, but freeze up in front of an audience, then that's a seperate issue, but that's more common than most folks realize and there's lots of ways to overcome that.

Anyway, I first picked up a guitar in my 30s, have been playing 5-6 years, and just recently came back to Smells Like Teen Spirit. I've been playing it a couple of weeks and am pretty close to ready to play it in front of an audience.

Funny thing about tabs is you see that tabbed so many differet ways (they're almost all wrong one way or another), but even the tab books have it played on a different part of the neck than Kurt played it on (at least live). Makes it easier to bend the notes higher up the neck, but that's not how he did it. Also the stings resonate and harmonize differently due to the inherent imperfection of guitar intonation and the different string gauges involved.

If you haven't gotten rid of your Spider IV yet, then that can be a factor, too. I've played those live before, but I'll hook up my GNX4 directly to the house PA before playing through a Spider. My lead playing got so much better when I stepped up from a Marshall MG amp to an all tube Marshall. You can hear so much with a decent tube amp that the solid state amps had been masking.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 24, 2012,
Okay, so there's plenty of good advice in this thread already, I'll just add some solos you could actually work on.
Try The Trooper by Iron Maiden, especially the first solo. Sounds great and it's very doable.
Crazy Train by Ozzy. Has some 'tough' parts, but it should be a good introduction to modern soloing.

Basically, read up on some theory and figure out how the major and the pentatonic scale are created, and how they work. Trust me on this one, if you know your major and your pentatonic, you pretty much got your soloing basics covered (ideally you'll learn how to use arpeggios or chord tones later).
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Get a teacher.

It's painfully apparent that you don't have the right mindset for teaching yourself, without somebody sat there pointing out your mistakes and how to correct them you're going to be floundering for a long time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
+1 for teacher.

Also -- everyone is saying that thrash metal solos are challenging -- yes, they are challenging in terms of finger movement -- but I would contend that a good blues solo is just as challenging musically.

THe notion that this genre or that genre is "harder to play" is really about technique -- flamenco techniques are bitchin' hard on the right and left hand and require tremendous dexterity. But playing a really good solo in any genre is difficult -- it has to do with a much more subtle ability to express a musical idea in a concise and interesting way.

So, my advice is this: start slow. Learn to play with the rhythm and changes -- learn to phrase. Anyone can put on a load of distortion and wiggle their fingers fast, that's not musical. Find the target notes you want to emphasize as chord tones/scale tones and then start to fill in with tricky embellishments.
yo jetwash 69 stop being an asshole iv tried everything people have told me to try before and i couldnt get it so why dont you shut up.
Quote by buud9
yo jetwash 69 stop being an asshole iv tried everything people have told me to try before and i couldnt get it so why dont you shut up.

Ok no more help for you.

Stop making threads.
Get a teacher.
The end.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com