Uh... Hi.

Basically I'm getting some cash for a few old guitars and an amp. I needed some input on what way I should really go with this.

This is a setup for my bedroom so I can jam out whenever. I play metal and I usually go for an Avenged Sevenfold like tone, high gain with a fat tone. I'm running an ESP H-1000 with Blackouts. Budget is about 500-700 USD.

Here's some things I came up with, mainly because the first option amp was really nice for the price and I don't need to blowout my eardrums at 5 feet.

Option 1. Get an Epiphone valve junior and some pedals (around 3-5 price depending) ALSO the valve has just a volume knob so I would need a distortion pedal to go with it.

Option 2. Get a head solely (cabinet optional)

Option 3. Suggest me something? I can make a great live setup any day but this is my first bedroom rig to just record and shit.

Personally I like the first idea, but even then I have no idea what pedals to get. :\

Try to keep it to stuff on the guitar center website, shipping and other stuff I can't do.
Last edited by Greatdude49 at Mar 24, 2012,
Valve junior + Boss Rc-2+ Boss DD-3+Metal Muff + TS-9 Tubescreamer...
I would totally use this setup for some kick-ass bedroom tones.
Quote by thesexiestofall

Hah, I was actually planning on getting the metal muff and the TS9 if I got the valve. I ****in' love the TS808 too.
Quote by thesexiestofall

For $700 grab yourself a Carvin V3mc. You won't regret it.
If you can afford it, and Orange Dark Terror and a 1x12 or 2x12 cab. It's pretty heavy.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Or this.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

If it isn't on the GC website I can't buy it. I do love Carvin gear but I would have to make a trek to find a shop that has some.

Quote by stonyman65
If you can afford it, and Orange Dark Terror and a 1x12 or 2x12 cab. It's pretty heavy.

Too expensive, but also a great suggestion.
Last edited by Greatdude49 at Mar 24, 2012,
Quote by Greatdude49
If it isn't on the GC website I can't buy it. I do love Carvin gear but I would have to make a trek to find a shop that has some.
Why must it be GC's website only? Also Carvin can only be ordered factory-direct, they don't distribute to music shops. You can't try the stuff in person but it keeps costs down (tip: if you like the way an amp sounds through Internet recordings, chances are you will like the way it sounds in person 10x better).

Though if it must be GC's website only, check out Jet City JCA5012c, Peavey 6505+ 112, Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, or if you go used, Marshall DSL401.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Why must it be GC's website only? Also Carvin can only be ordered factory-direct, they don't distribute to music shops. You can't try the stuff in person but it keeps costs down (tip: if you like the way an amp sounds through Internet recordings, chances are you will like the way it sounds in person 10x better).

Though if it must be GC's website only, check out Jet City JCA5012c, Peavey 6505+ 112, Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, or if you go used, Marshall DSL401.

I only live near a guitar center. And there are some local shops out there that buy Carvins, not like an entire line like GC or anything, but just to have a few different pieces like an amp or two with one of those nice v220s. And I can't do anything over the internet because I never built up any credit once I got out of highschool, I was a cash only guy. Now The companies are telling me I can only get like tiny 50-100$ credit cards (mainly because my parents went so heavily in debt) and that's like the only way to put some money online because I'm never trusting a bank in America with my cash.

On that last note, **** Capitalism.
A7X? Lately Syn's been using a Marshall JVM 410H. And 90%+ of the time on stage he's using Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invaders or just 1 in the bridge and a Sustainiac in the neck (either way with a mahogany Schecter).

The JVM is perfect for recording; you don't even need a cab; you can just go straight through the XLR speaker emulated line out to a recorder or computer interface. But if you don't hook up a load, then leave it in standby--if you turn the power amp section on with without a load then you'll blow a transformer, melt power tubes, or something.

While direct out for recording limits your tonal pallet compared to all the nuances you can get with micing, it is still good enough for live play or for basic professional quality recordings. At least IMHO and that of at least a few pros. Your mileage may vary, of course.

You might be able to find a 410H for around $700 used if you're lucky. More likely to find a 405H for that price, though.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 24, 2012,
Quote by jetwash69
A7X? Lately Syn's been using a Marshall JVM 410H.

Quote by Greatdude49
Budget is about 500-700 USD.

To get the point across.
Quote by Greatdude49
...**** Capitalism.

Last time I checked, North Korea and Cuba weren't epicenters for modern high gain tone.
Quote by Greatdude49
To get the point across.

See the edit. BTW, I got my JVM for $1K from a store a couple of years ago and it was mint.
Quote by jetwash69
See the edit. BTW, I got my JVM for $1K from a store a couple of years ago and it was mint.

Mhm, don't take offense to it, I just like being a doosh.

Quote by jetwash69
Last time I checked, North Korea and Cuba weren't epicenters for modern high gain tone.

Whaaat...? I was talking about America and credit cards.
Your first idea is terrible, IMO, especially for what you want to play.

For just practicing at home and recording, I'd just get a Vypyr Tube and save the rest of the money for your (assumedly?) "live" rig.

That's under the assuption that volume is an issue, which you didn't state.

If there is no issue with volume, get a 50W or 100W Jet City amp. You'll also need some pedals, mainly an EQ and an OD (tubescreamer).

I like the Boss GE-7, for ease of use. If power supply/outlets are no issue, get an MXR 10 band. For EQ, I swear by my trusty TS-7, but there's a lot of other great stuff out there like the MXR GT-OD and the Way Huge Green Rhino.

I haven't really spent any time with JC amps, but you'll probably also need a noise gate, especially with a tubescreamer in front. I recommend a Boss NS-2. I think MXR has a new one out too that's supposed to rival and be better than the NS-2, but I don't know a whole lot about that.

EDIT: Can you elaborate on why you can't have stuff shipped? In any case, use Craigs List.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 24, 2012,
the cabinet's not really optional if you want to actually hear the thing (and not kill the amp in the process)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the cabinet's not really optional if you want to actually hear the thing (and not kill the amp in the process)

I came in here to say this. The jet city stuff isn't bad, the other guitarist use a jca100, Id imagine a smaller jet city would get somewhere in the ballpark. The vypyr tube and 6505+ 112 combos are good ideas, and come in under budget.

BTW, if you want to avoid people coming in here and starting flame wars, I would avoid any derogatory comments about ANY economic system, capitalism or otherwise.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Most of the time. But not all the time. Line outs have come a long way over the years.

It's completely optional with the JVM, assuming you have headphones or monitors. You get all the tone shaping you need from the pre-amp. If you do have a cab, and a place where you can play it at over 120db, then you can get some extra tone shaping out of the power section (it's based on a JCM800 2203) but that isn't necessary for the A7X tone mentioned in the OP. OK, you'd also lose the resonance and the presence control, but if you're going into a recording rig or a PA you can control that there.

Other than live or band practice w/accoustic drums, it's much more usuable going through the line out than the cab. Min volume w/out a volume pedal is around 85db through a typical 1960a 4x12 cab if you're pushing the channel volume and gain to 10. And that's if you have the effects loop unplugged but activated with the mix set almost all the way wet (all the way wet would be silent). Without the FX loop trick the min volume is around 95db.

But going through the line out, you get the tone you want at whatever volume you want.
Quote by Greatdude49
Mhm, don't take offense to it, I just like being a doosh.

No offense taken, just trying to be helpful.

BTW, once you build some credit you can use credit cards to your advantage. Discover card will give you cash back. Upromise can help save for college. Learn how the system works and use it to your advantage. Music is a lot more complicated than finance.
You sure I could just stick my headphones in the line out of my jvm?
I was wondering about this lately
Quote by Dunkelheit-164
You sure I could just stick my headphones in the line out of my jvm?
I was wondering about this lately

Didn't say you could do that.

First off, if you're using the line out instead of a cab, then keep the amp in Standby (i.e., do not flip standby to the on position).

Then you have to plug the line out into a device with a balanced input (TRS). It takes an XLR plug on the amp side. Most mixers have at least 1 balanced input, as do many audio interfaces. And most of those also have headphone outputs, too. So you can plug headphones into that device, but not into the JVM itself.

TL/DR: No, you can't just stick headphones in the line out. Unless you have mono headphones designed for line-level use with an XLR plug and a volume control
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 24, 2012,