Page 1 of 2
kryptonite22
2,832 IQ
I saw somebody from the UK in the hardcore forum use the phrase "pop punk is a tiny deal in this country". I was sad. So I made this thread. Some of my favourites, from all over the musical spectrum:

Apologies, I Have None
The Arteries
Bangers
Calvinball
Caves
The Computers
Crazy Arm
The Cut Ups
Great Cynics (formerly Cynics)
ONSIND (One Night Stand In North Dakota)
Our Time Down Here
Sharks
Some Sort of Threat
The Steal

There are others. I'll try and update this if people post enough.

Discuss.
Last edited by kryptonite22 at Mar 26, 2012,
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar
1,910 IQ
Its getting better but bands like youmeatsix and all of that crap are getting called pop punk now. It will never be as strong as the US pop punk scene
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
EndTheRapture51
pretentious wank
8,710 IQ
It's average in general.

There's Sharks, Save Your Breath, Me Vs Hero and Decade, for me at least.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Where are you finding this... the pop punk scene in my home county is abysmal...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
kryptonite22
2,832 IQ
What? It's not average at all! Maybe those bands you listed are?

There are some really hardworking, funloving dudes playing club shows up and down the country, writing records full of anthemic, singalong tunes. What more could you possibly want? Just check out some of those bands I listed if you aren't already familiar. They are all different and all great (in my opinion).

I'm from near Exeter, we have the Cavern which is great for bands like The Computers, The Cut Ups, OK Pilot, Bangers, etc. And there are some good bands coming out of Plymouth too, like Crazy Arm. Elsewhere Kingston is pretty good for pop-punk, a lot of touring bands stop there and get put on by Banquet Records. My experience of the North is limited in general.

EDIT: And pretty much all the bands I listed are quite distinctly British. I hate it when UK bands try and sound overly American.
Last edited by kryptonite22 at Mar 24, 2012,
asator
whatever
525 IQ
Quote by EndTheRapture51
It's average in general.

There's Sharks, Save Your Breath, Me Vs Hero and Decade, for me at least.

This is all at the poppier end of the spectrum. Look deeper, there's loads of good stuff.

Apologies, I Have None and Bangers are both brilliant. New OTDH record rules too. I've seen Bangers a bunch of times and played a few shows with them, nice guys and they always impress me. Apologies blew me away when they played here a year or so ago.

Other good new-ish bands: Gnarwolves, Big Success, As We Sink (not that poppy), Hounds.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Last edited by asator at Mar 24, 2012,
EndTheRapture51
pretentious wank
8,710 IQ
Quote by asator
This is all at the poppier end of the spectrum. Look deeper, there's loads of good stuff.

Apologies, I Have None and Bangers are both brilliant. New OTDH record rules too. I've seen Bangers a bunch of times and played a few shows with them, nice guys and they always impress me. Apologies blew me away when they played here a year or so ago.

Other good new-ish bands: Gnarwolves, Big Success, As We Sink (not that poppy), Hounds.

It is indeed the poppier stuff, but they're the bands who actually seem to tour near me. I can't be going to see bands who never tour near me

Apologies, I Have None are great, but honestly Decade are my favourite UK pop punk band right now, it's more in the style of american stuff but I think the vocals retain quite a British flavour.

A lot of the stuff in the OP sounded almost indie.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Mar 24, 2012,
goldmember1217
No Cure For Fools
411 IQ
I'm listening to the first link, this shit rules. I need to check all of these out, I've always been a sucker for English hardcore and post-rock but I'm pretty ignorant to the pop punk scene there.

Basement rules too, their LP they put out last year has been on repeat all winter.
Last edited by goldmember1217 at Mar 24, 2012,
asator
whatever
525 IQ
I wasn't aware that you guys actually listened to the bands I annoy you with. Glad to see appreciating Hounds. Good friends.
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
Cynics are super rad.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
kryptonite22
2,832 IQ
Quote by asator

I got the new OTDH in the post yesterday. I did a pretty interesting interview with Will which I will upload soon. Describing how the whole thing is actually based on Bowie's 'Ziggy Stardust' record.

And the London LP should be arriving soon but as usual Banquet are taking their time
asator
whatever
525 IQ
I haven't heard it on vinyl yet, but either way it hasn't sunk in yet the same way Live, Love, Let Go and Last Lights did. "Black Ice and Bad Advice" is great though. I love their new direction.
SuperBlob
DIRECT HIT!
1,589 IQ
This is a good thread. Needs more Calvinball and ONSIND though.

And Leagues Apart.

*tries to think of more bands*

Quote by element4433
Cynics are super rad.

Giles called me a legend. It made me happy.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
kryptonite22
2,832 IQ
Quote by asator
I haven't heard it on vinyl yet, but either way it hasn't sunk in yet the same way Live, Love, Let Go and Last Lights did. "Black Ice and Bad Advice" is great though. I love their new direction.
I loved Last Lights, every track on that is gold.

I don't know of Hounds, some link me?
kryptonite22
2,832 IQ
I saw Apologies, I Have None at the Thekla in Bristol last night, supporting Touche Amore/Pianos Become The Teeth. Seemed a little bit out of place with those two bands on after but went down okay. I enjoyed it anyway, as did the frizzy haired man down the front who seems to appear at every gig in Bristol and go mental for 3 hours straight.
InstantAXonHero
713 IQ
****, I'm going to miss PBTT and TA tomorrow night, why was I not informed of their proximity
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
kryptonite22
2,832 IQ
Quote by InstantAXonHero
Hang on, TA and PBTT are touring the UK!?
That was you on 3rd of Feb... ergo, you were informed
SuperBlob
DIRECT HIT!
1,589 IQ
Oh man I completely forgot Fashanu, they're great. Happy Latterman-esque-ish (what isn't these days though?) pop-punx.

Also Deus Rex. They're gonna be huge. Totally not my band. Also I realise those recordings are pretty shit but shut up.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Last edited by SuperBlob at Mar 28, 2012,
lookpizza
Party Hard
1,566 IQ
Danny won't hook me up with any Hounds.. and you guys know how I feel about paying for mp3s.
I'm an asshole.
InstantAXonHero
713 IQ
Quote by kryptonite22
That was you on 3rd of Feb... ergo, you were informed

The third of last month might as well be three hundred years ago, no way would I remember unless I had a calendar to put stuff like this in.
ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ
Gerard_xD
-
684 IQ
Quote by InstantAXonHero
****, I'm going to miss PBTT and TA tomorrow night, why was I not informed of their proximity

I missed them too, but PBTT are back in August with Balance and Composure!

kryptonite22
2,832 IQ
Quote by Gerard_xD
I missed them too, but PBTT are back in August with Balance and Composure!

..and Seahaven I think. They are in Bristol anyway. Considering the drive.
toaddy
Mr super specil
45 IQ
I could do a lot more if pushed, this is just off the top of my head, like one on facebook and all of a sudden your spammed by the rest of the countrys bands. I havent listened to a few of these.
We're Not Worthy (Leicester)
Whose Driving? Bears Driving
Starters (Ireland)
Shortcuts (Ireland?)
Hot Damn (wales)
EndTheRapture51
pretentious wank
8,710 IQ
Quote by toaddy
I could do a lot more if pushed, this is just off the top of my head, like one on facebook and all of a sudden your spammed by the rest of the countrys bands. I havent listened to a few of these.
We're Not Worthy (Leicester)
Whose Driving? Bears Driving
Starters (Ireland)
Shortcuts (Ireland?)
Hot Damn (wales)

Whose Driving? Bears Driving are hilarious oh my god. Some girl I know is in their music video and the dude's lisp is so funny.

kryptonite22
2,832 IQ
Gonna check all these links tomorrow night. Hopefully some corkers in there.
SuperBlob
DIRECT HIT!
1,589 IQ
Quote by kryptonite22
I'll post this here as it's semi relevant: My new webzine has gone live, featuring interviews with

Apologies, I Have None
Our Time Down Here
and
Great Cynics

Hopefully people enjoy those, I think they're worth a read. Feel free to check out the rest of the site for more stuff, there's links to FB/Twitter pages on the site too.

*like'd on Facebook*

I saw OTDH last night and got Midnight Mass and a tshirt. They were pretty awesome, seemed like super nice guys as well. Speaking of super nice guys, Will mentioned The Lion And The Wolf in that interview, you should all check him out, he does rly good acoustic punx stuff.

EDIT: Just remembered, Gnarwolves are ****ing fantastic. Gruff pop-punx like Bangers and shizzle.
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!
Last edited by SuperBlob at Apr 26, 2012,
asator
whatever
525 IQ
I will back the charming fellows in the Gnarwolves camp all dicking day long. Best dudes, best music.
kryptonite22
2,832 IQ
Cheers for the like.

I saw OTDH on the MxPx All Stars tour last night, they were good but they played a LOT of MM, which I think is a good record but not as good as Last Light. Understandable they want to play new songs though, I just prefer the older ones. Went and had a brief chat with Will to thank him for doing the interview, he seems a really chatty, approachable person.