Ok not the best name for the thread but I couldn't think of how to word my question. What I mean is, who are some fingerstyle artists that have pieces where they play with a pick, like Michael Hedges, Tommy Emmanuel, etc. I need to get better at using a pick, and having cool songs to learn usually motivates me really well. Please and thank you
Not quite sure if it really counts, but Marillions guitarist often fingerpicks whilst using a pick...for actual fingerstyle purists, not sure...
Mark Knopfler plays a number of his tunes with a pick. I read recently that he carries one around all the time... He doesn't consider himself to be much of a plectrum player.
To paraphrase Bill Clinton, "that depends on what you call, with a pick"?

Richard Thompson, (formerly of "Fairport Convention), does a monster job with a hybrid picking style. (Pick and fingers all the time).

Jus' sayin', it doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other.
Hey, have you ever heard of this guy Jerry Garcia? He was pretty good for a 9-fingered junkie, and he did lots of unusual picking combo's.

For instance, if you cut off your middle finger on your picking hand, you can stash a pick between your stump and your index finger and bring it out whenever useful - pretty clever.
Quote by spillproof
Hey, have you ever heard of this guy Jerry Garcia? He was pretty good for a 9-fingered junkie, and he did lots of unusual picking combo's.

For instance, if you cut off your middle finger on your picking hand, you can stash a pick between your stump and your index finger and bring it out whenever useful - pretty clever.

Yeah, Garcia was an excellent picker, he also made some of the loudest neckties ever seen, I think alot of his music and ties were inspired by Owsley Stanley.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by emily92
Ok not the best name for the thread but I couldn't think of how to word my question. What I mean is, who are some fingerstyle artists that have pieces where they play with a pick, like Michael Hedges, Tommy Emmanuel, etc. I need to get better at using a pick, and having cool songs to learn usually motivates me really well. Please and thank you

Erik Mongrain is worth checking out! he does fingerstyle, lap tapping and he plays with pick. Look up Muse
Quote by emily92

Sorry, just to clarify... Are you looking for songs, specifically?

Also, are you looking for songs that have a lot of picking using a plectrum? Something with hybrid picking (pick, middle, and ring finger), or songs with full fingerstyle?

OR, are you just looking for fingerstyle artists who also use picks?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.