Hey guys, Ive recently done away with my modelling amp and got a decent valve amp, but this has left me with the issue that I now have no effects...
I have enough money to begin building up a pedal board, and am basically asking what do people regard as a must, what people you can live without and what makes/pedals etc.

I know that I want a wah, a delay and probably a chorus.

I play mainly rock/blues but also a lot of acouticy based stuff eg Dave Matthews Band and dabble every now and then with metal and jazz

Cheers
Budget?

Have you an overdrive?

Reverb is always good to have, as is a tremolo is you play lower gain stuff.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Amp has decent overdrive, but not that heavy. Its also got reverb.

Budget probably around £300-400 at the minute
What effects did you use on your modeller most?
You'll need some boost/overdrives of some type.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Mostly I used delay/echo and chorus and occasionally flange, but not so fussed about that.
Is it worth getting an EQ pedal?
EQ pedals can be handy. They can make a fine boost pedal too.
Check out Joyo pedals. Excellent value for money. I have their flanger and it's damn good and cost peanuts. I was going to build one but the Joyo cost about half what parts were going to cost me. One of their overdrives is an OCD clone. Worth getting.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Personally I like to spend more on my modulation, at your budget, you're better off getting a few good pedals instead of spending getting spending a bit on everything.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Cathbard
Check out Joyo pedals. Excellent value for money. I have their flanger and it's damn good and cost peanuts. I was going to build one but the Joyo cost about half what parts were going to cost me. One of their overdrives is an OCD clone. Worth getting.

Cheers, Ill look into that

Thanks for the replies :P
I might be wierd, but I like/use my reverb pedal more than my delay pedal. Many amps have reverb, but it's a knob, not a switchable on/off, and they usually only sound okay at best.

But a good reverb pedal can give you some really stellar sounds. I tend to not use much, if any reverb for my overdriven sounds, but quite heavy reverb on my cleans, and it's nice to be able to switch that on and off with my foot. And many of the new reverb boxes (like my TCE Hall of Fame) have settings that add some chorus/modulation so I don't really need a separate chorus pedal. When I use/want a light chorus/modulation sound, those are the times that I also want an atmospheric reverb as well.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 24, 2012,
A vox V-845, MXR Zakk wylde chorus, Boss Delay(mod it with true bypass), Boss sd-1 or a tube screamer, etc.
+1 on joyo. I was a little disappointed in the chorus (which is still good for the money, just it's not as good as some other choruses I've tried), but all of their other pedals I've tried (which is most of them, lol) have been great.

if you're buying more than one, consider getting them on thomann. Firstly, they're a little cheaper. Secondly, you get a 3-year warranty. thirdly, if my experience (and others') with thomann is anything to go by, they're so cheap that if anything goes wrong they won't even ask you to return them (and parcelling things up to send back is a pia).

they're sold under the harley benton brand- same product names as the joyo ones, and they look identical to the joyos, aside from the harley benton brand name.

they do a ts808 clone, the vintage od. that'd be one of the essential ones. the delay's pretty good, too, assuming you like a warmer, analogue-alike delay.

i like the tonerider analogue chorus, it's very nice, and nicer than the joyo one (though i prefer some of the other joyo pedals to their tonerider counterparts, it's not quite as simple as "tonerider is dearer, therefore better").

Quote by ragingkitty
Personally I like to spend more on my modulation, at your budget, you're better off getting a few good pedals instead of spending getting spending a bit on everything.

up until fairly recently i'd have agreed with you, but with the likes of tonerider and joyo I'm not sure it's true any more. that's not to say a boutique one might not be better, but TR and joyo certainly aren't cheap crap, and most of them sound "good". It's one thing paying £150 (or more) for a single pedal when the £25-£50 pedals sound like crap. It's quite another when the £150 is only slightly better (and many of them might not be any better, look at e.g. the whole freekish debacle, not to mention how many of those boutique circuits are based on, er, classic designs, just like the toneriders and joyos are).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No worries about loosing all the FX. Stripping everything down to guitar and amp will make you a better player. It keeps you honest since you don't have stuff to hide behind. I was the same way when I got rid of my digi FX.

A nice OD is a must. TS9 TS808ri or any clones of these sound like what you need to be looking at. TRex, Fulltone, Visual Sound, Lovepedal, Dunlop/MXR all make some nice OD's. This is just a start, there is a myriad of them to test out. The only Boss pedals I would suggest are the Blues Driver and SD-1, both of which can be modded by Keeley to make them more than outstanding! Just google the companies and look for Overdrive or Boost. Thank God for Google!

As for Boosts, any of the OD pedals can double as a boost. Turn gain almost all the way down and vol way up. If you need a boost pedal, TC Electronics just released the Spark Boost. It looks sweet! All I can say though. The Keeley Katana has been something I've had my eye on for a long time. Mainstay on lots of pro boards. It costs... but often you get what you pay for.

You're right about delays. The MXR Carbon Copy, TC Electronics Flashback (I have both of these), and Way Huge Aqua Puss are all really good affordable pedals. The MXR CC is an all around good analog delay, very warm. The TCE Flashback is digital but sounds awesome and has some wicked features. I've heard that people who didn't like the CC because it was too dark sounding like the Aqua Puss better. It lacks a modulation switch if that's something you want. None of these have tap tempo though...

Boss makes a really affordable Tremolo pedal. Not sure what people say about it though. The Fulltone Supa Trem makes appearances on lots of pro pedal boards and is on my list of stuff to get. Other trem pedals I've seen look cool as all get out but they would burn your entire budget.

Other modulation stuff... MXR Phase 90 is super cool. I love mine. It can get real Hendrixy depending on how you use it. Dunlop stopped making the Univibe so you'd have to pick it up used, but its sweet as hell. The Rotovibe would probably fit a budget used if you can find it. Not sure how people like them. I don't know much beyond that in the realm of chorus and vibrato type pedals. I think Lovepedal, TC Electronics, TRex and Digitech Hardwire have viby chorus type stuff.

Also www.proguitarshop.com and www.premierguitar.com are invaluable resources for reviews, company and product info. Good luck!
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
Quote by Cathbard

So you would recommend Joyo pedals then? And could you give me a link to that OCD clone?
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
i think some companies rebadge and sell them on in the US (valco maybe?)

they should be on ebay, though. some sellers on there (hong kong), i think there are some US-based ones, too. Joyo ultimate drive is what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
up until fairly recently i'd have agreed with you, but with the likes of tonerider and joyo I'm not sure it's true any more. that's not to say a boutique one might not be better, but TR and joyo certainly aren't cheap crap, and most of them sound "good". It's one thing paying £150 (or more) for a single pedal when the £25-£50 pedals sound like crap. It's quite another when the £150 is only slightly better (and many of them might not be any better, look at e.g. the whole freekish debacle, not to mention how many of those boutique circuits are based on, er, classic designs, just like the toneriders and joyos are).

I don't disagree, but there are some pedal effects you just can't get anywhere else, like the Eventide Space, Earthquaker Devices Rainbow Machine, Red Witch Medusa or Empress, Midfi Electronics Pitch Pirate. I'd pay to get the effects.

Of course if you're gonna pay good money for a MIJ Boss Chorus, one can definitely argue there's a cheaper alternative that isn't too shabby for the price.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
ah ok, that's what you mean.

yep that's true

like most guitar-related stuff- if you just want a good tone and are fairly easy regarding how you achieve that, it can normally be done without breaking the bank. but if you have a very specific tonal need, you might have to pay for it if there are no other ways to achieve it.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?