I have an Epiphone LP Special II which I am giving a bit of a makeover. Nothing too much as it's not the most expensive of guitars and spending £££ would be a waste. However, one thing I had thought of adding is a tremelo mech. Can I fit a Floyd Rose type mechanism to this guitar without any problems? I am aware that I will have to drill the body to mount the mech but are there any other problems I may have in mounting such a unit. Is the Floyd Rose the best style of mech to use on this guitar?
You would also have to route a spring cavity
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I could rout the cavity ok but is there an alternative that does not require the routing. Would a Bigsby (copy) work ok? Am I correct in saying that a Bigsby style can only bend up? This would not be a problem for me.
Yeah a Bigsby would be fine, and yes they can only pitch bend upwards
Quote by pigeonmafia
Yeah a Bigsby would be fine, and yes they can only pitch bend upwards

I believe you mean downwards!

TS, a Bigsby style vibrato would be the easiest to install. There are versions that can be installed into the existing holes for tune-o-matic bridges. They don't have the range of Floyd or Strat style trems though.
Quote by Sampy
I believe you mean downwards!

TS, a Bigsby style vibrato would be the easiest to install. There are versions that can be installed into the existing holes for tune-o-matic bridges. They don't have the range of Floyd or Strat style trems though.

Ball bags XD my bad
Thanks guys. A Bigsby style trem looks like the way to go. I'll investigate the replacements for the Tune-o-matic bridge first.
There is an adaptor available but it only hs two holes for mounting the front of the mech. I seems like this is designed for the style of trem that extends over the end of the guitar body. If I used the shorter style of Bigsby, I would still have to add another couple of holes as this style has a four hole fixing. One other question, I am a lefty, should I seek out a lefty mech or can I get by with a RH version (which is more readily available and cheaper).
Sorry, there is an adaptor for the shorter B5 type mech. This uses the holes from the original tailpiece. However, this does mean that only one end of the mech is secured to the guitar body. Doesn't this put a strain on the fixing points? Because of what I am modding, I will probably go for screwing into the body anyway.
I would still have to add another couple of holes as this style has a four hole fixing. One other question, I am a lefty, should I seek out a lefty mech or can I get by with a RH version (which is more readily available and cheaper).