I've been playing for about 6 months now and I'm fed up with my crappy stagg amp that I got with my guitar. It makes annoying buzzing sounds if I turn the volume any higher than 5

Can anybody suggest a good amp for me that will last for many years to come? Willing to spend a few hundred pounds.
Last edited by Michaelob at Mar 24, 2012,
Sorry to kinda hijack the thread a bit but quick question. How good are Laney Amps? I'm looking to sell my Peavey Envoy 110 and I want something better for gigging for under 500$. Suggestions?
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by stealstrings
Sorry to kinda hijack the thread a bit but quick question. How good are Laney Amps? I'm looking to sell my Peavey Envoy 110 and I want something better for gigging for under 500$. Suggestions?

the laney VC and GH series are pertty good. So is the Ironheart. i dunno id thats in your budget though. their cub series is good for the price to but for $500 you could get more.
Yeah I'm not just looking into Laney. I wish I had more money and a bigger bedroom. Basically I just want a 30 watt amp (or more) that is good for rock and metal and has decent cleans as well for around 300 - 500$. I need a better guitar as well, but I'm hoping that will change soon.
these are the top three bang for your buck man
Roland Cube
Peavey Vypyr
Line 6 Spider
Agile Septor Elite 727
Peavey 6505+
Quote by stealstrings
Yeah I'm not just looking into Laney. I wish I had more money and a bigger bedroom. Basically I just want a 30 watt amp (or more) that is good for rock and metal and has decent cleans as well for around 300 - 500$. I need a better guitar as well, but I'm hoping that will change soon.

Vox Nighttrain and a boost or a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 maybe.
Start a thread about it so that others can help you out.

oh, or maybe a jet city jca20h
I wouldnt go for line6, they're as gay as twilight. You might want to check out Blackheart. Its a kinda new brand wich makes sweet amps. But it al depends on what kind of music you play/want to play.
Quote by BURNTHEPRIEST94
these are the top three bang for your buck man
Roland Cube
Peavey Vypyr
Line 6 Spider

you put in the spider but not the vox vt20+ or the fender mustang?
I'm liking the look of the Vox Vt20. Anyone know the price for a brand new one? I can't see to find it.

EDIT: Also looking at the VT30.
Last edited by stealstrings at Mar 24, 2012,
what exactly is a few hundred pounds? £200? If so, cath is probably worth listening to regarding the cub (though i haven't tried one, but i hear the preamp of the 12 watter is based on a jcm800?).

Quote by stealstrings

they're pretty good, but (a) some are better than others, and (b) in the US there might be better value options (though the prices in the UK for them have been skyrocketting, too, they're nowhere near the great value they once were )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll second the suggestion of the Vox VT 20+. Been using the VT40+ recently and it's pretty good.

Presume if you're talking pounds, you're in the UK? The VT40+ goes for between £180 & £220, so the VT20+ should be well within your budget.

I don't believe they make the VT30 any more, so you'd have to go used for that one. As you can afford the current range, I wouldn't recommend getting the older one - it only has 22 models as opposed to the 33 you get on the newer amps.

The best thing though, is to go to as many shops as possible and try as many amps as possible to find the one you like best.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Mar 24, 2012,
I know a guy with that Laney amp.

It's pretty sick nasty.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by GaryBillington
I'll second the suggestion of the Vox VT 20+. Been using the VT40+ recently and it's pretty good.

Presume if you're talking pounds, you're in the UK? The VT40+ goes for between £180 & £220, so the VT20+ should be well within your budget.

I don't believe they make the VT30 any more, so you'd have to go used for that one. As you can afford the current range, I wouldn't recommend getting the older one - it only has 22 models as opposed to the 33 you get on the newer amps.

The best thing though, is to go to as many shops as possible and try as many amps as possible to find the one you like best.

Umm....I wasn't talking pounds, I'm talking Australian money. I'm in WA, my closest city is Perth. Sorry, should have said. And It looks like I have enough for the VT40+. Thanks guys.
You really should have said. Amps are a lot more expensive here. Exchange rate means nothing, the AUD is crazy strong but the cost of amps here is a lot higher. If people were just looking at exchange rate they'd think you could buy a lot more than you actually can. On the world stage we are filthy rich but within our own country not so much.

With that in mind, let me have a look on Ebay and see what's out there.

Here ya go:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Egnater-Tweaker-15-Guitar-Amp-Head-/120880873293?pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item1c250fbf4d#ht_500wt_1204

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Laney-CUB12R-15W-Electric-Guitar-Amplifier-/260959312531?pt=AU_Amplifiers&hash=item3cc2631a93#ht_1462wt_956
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by TheDuckMajor
Vox Nighttrain and a boost or a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 maybe.
Start a thread about it so that others can help you out.

oh, or maybe a jet city jca20h

Just got the JCA20h, its great for rock - it's single channel though, so if you need to switch between cleans and dirt often - it could be an issue. Although, I havent tried to boost it with anything, but because it's so cheap, you could afford the head and a tubescreamer or other overdrive pedal fairly easily within your budget.

This being said, I LOVE my Jet City - it kicks the absolute piss out of the Marshall Valvestate I have. I play rock, and alt rock, and have had no problem drawing any tones im looking for out of it.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by ma_tt11
Just got the JCA20h, its great for rock - it's single channel though, so if you need to switch between cleans and dirt often - it could be an issue. Although, I havent tried to boost it with anything, but because it's so cheap, you could afford the head and a tubescreamer or other overdrive pedal fairly easily within your budget.

This being said, I LOVE my Jet City - it kicks the absolute piss out of the Marshall Valvestate I have. I play rock, and alt rock, and have had no problem drawing any tones im looking for out of it.

A combination of a boost and a pad (like this. is the trick. Dial in your mid gain on the amp, use the pad for your cleans and the boost for your lead. Bada bing bada boom - three channels.

Does it have an FX loop? If so you can go the whole hog and use MIDI linked units, one in the loop, one out front. Then you can dial in every level of gain and volumes that you want. You just have matching patches with different output levels. Lots of decent used MIDI units out there that will do the job ok now for cheap too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A combination of a boost and a pad (like this. is the trick. Dial in your mid gain on the amp, use the pad for your cleans and the boost for your lead. Bada bing bada boom - three channels.

Does it have an FX loop? If so you can go the whole hog and use MIDI linked units, one in the loop, one out front. Then you can dial in every level of gain and volumes that you want. You just have matching patches with different output levels. Lots of decent used MIDI units out there that will do the job ok now for cheap too.

no FX loop, but it's a mod im strongly considering for the future, just for that kind of functionality. I've never had a midi-setup, but a lot of my favourite artists use them and it's a future thing I'd like to aim for. This was just an upgrade for my current situation with the money I had on hand. Long-term serious investments will come after I've earned some real money this summer :P
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
You can do it pretty cheap. Here's mine. Now the GP-8 and the Quadraverb I've had since new so they weren't actually cheap but Quaddy's can be scored really cheap these days. The GP-8 is out front (I have a block diagram showing all the connections if you want to see it) and the Quaddy in the loop. Now the GP-8 has a foot controller so it is actually my MIDI controller - plus it switches the amp.

That's just a normal valve amp I shoehorned into a rack cabinet I made.
The GP-8 has become a bit of a classic so they can be hard to score and even harder to score cheap. But the GP-8 is just 8 Boss pedals in one box. You could use anything out front.
Say a TC Nova system out front, and a $50 Quadraverb (yes, they do often go that cheaply on Ebay). The Nova system becomes your MIDI controller and programmable boost. The effects on those are pretty good too. The Quadraverb becomes your programmable master volume, plus they just sound awesome.

So all you need is an FX loop and two cheap devices and you have infinitely variable gain structures and/or volumes all at your feet - and top notch effects. No tap dancing, just hit the patch and everything changes with one push. Do that and why would you need more than one channel?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
You can do it pretty cheap. Here's mine. Now the GP-8 and the Quadraverb I've had since new so they weren't actually cheap but Quaddy's can be scored really cheap these days. The GP-8 is out front (I have a block diagram showing all the connections if you want to see it) and the Quaddy in the loop. Now the GP-8 has a foot controller so it is actually my MIDI controller - plus it switches the amp.

That's just a normal valve amp I shoehorned into a rack cabinet I made.
The GP-8 has become a bit of a classic so they can be hard to score and even harder to score cheap. But the GP-8 is just 8 Boss pedals in one box. You could use anything out front.
Say a TC Nova system out front, and a $50 Quadraverb (yes, they do often go that cheaply on Ebay). The Nova system becomes your MIDI controller and programmable boost. The effects on those are pretty good too. The Quadraverb becomes your programmable master volume, plus they just sound awesome.

So all you need is an FX loop and two cheap devices and you have infinitely variable gain structures and/or volumes all at your feet - and top notch effects. No tap dancing, just hit the patch and everything changes with one push. Do that and why would you need more than one channel?

So in essence, because the Jet City has a decent (might I even say wonderful) tone, straight out of the box, that takes pedals well - If I mod for an FX loop, look into this ~$200 or so setup, I could have a full MIDI controller setup going on if I can score a Quadraverb that cheap? Not bad. Maybe that'll be something to look into this summer after I buy a legitimate cab for my amp!

Also, I know this thread got hijacked pretty quickly - but from my experience playing with a RATHER loud drummer - my 20W Jet City is enough to keep up with him fairly easily. It's budget friendly, and having it mic'd through the PA (which is a likely situation if you gig live) you'll be able to get clean tones and dirty tones at useable volumes. I was using a 40W Marshall Valvestate, and I was never ever to push it past about volume 4 without all of us covering our ears and running for cover. It was loud, but the Jet City is full tube and sounds amazing cranked, something I never got to do with the other amp.

Buy a 30W or something - you'll get alright tones at bedroom volume and plenty of useable volume if and/or when you decide to play with a band or jam. Jet City is a good choice if you're looking Marshall-esque Brit tones. The Egnaters sound great - my only beef was that I dislike the esthetic appearance. Similar price range though, and not too far out of reach if you save - mine only set me back a couple hundred dollars for the head.
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Last edited by ma_tt11 at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by ma_tt11
So in essence, because the Jet City has a decent (might I even say wonderful) tone, straight out of the box, that takes pedals well - If I mod for an FX loop, look into this ~$200 or so setup, I could have a full MIDI controller setup going on if I can score a Quadraverb that cheap? Not bad. Maybe that'll be something to look into this summer after I buy a legitimate cab for my amp!

Exactly. And seeing how a new Nova System is only $300 you could probably score a used one for under $200. So for less than $300 you can have precise control over your gain structure - AND have some of the best effects in the business. All you have at your feet on stage is a the Nova System. Too simple.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well you know, that may have just saved me a ton of money if I can find the right deals this summer. Shouldnt be more than a few hundred to get an effects loop mod done either, so its much cheaper than the number of individual pedals I'd need to achieve the same thing, nevermind that they'd be running through the front of the amp - having the effects loop should clean things up a little!
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Btw you'll need a series FX loop to do this, a parallel one won't work.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Btw you'll need a series FX loop to do this, a parallel one won't work.

Good to know, thanks!
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212