So I may sound absolutely ridiculous, but suppose I wanted to run a chain of pedals through the effects loop of two amps, could i just run the pedals into the return of one amp, run the send of that amp into the return of the next amp, and then run that amps send back to my pedals without breaking anything? I feel like there is something that will make this impossible, but if it is, then I will be a very happy fella. thanks guys.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
That wouldn't work. The send of your amp is your preamp only, and everything after the return is your power amp. So doing what you're saying would be running the preamp of amp "A" into the power section of amp "B" with no FX in the chain, then you'd be running the preamp of amp "B" through your pedals, into the power section of amp "A"

What you're trying to do is kinda complicated... but maybe someone with more experience using a stereo rig can give you some ideas. I mean, I don't see any means of sending the preamp signal of 2 amps through the same pedal chain without blending the 2 signals together, which will make both sound basically the same by the time they get to the power amp.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
nope.

what he said.

you could use a splitter after the guitar into two amps and use them at the same time and have different effects on each. but obviously the pedals would be limited to the amp you put them with.

/inb4cathscreamsmidi

or you could bypass one of the amp's power amps and only use it's preamp but then you couldn't really be stereo because all your sound will come from the amp you use the power amp of. i'm fairly certain.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 24, 2012,
If you use an aby in front of both amps, and then have pedals with stereo ins at the front and stereo outs at the end of your pedal chain you could have the same pedals through both amps.
Alright, thanks guys, I kinda figured that that would be the case. I suppose its time to build splitters and start tomfoolery.
Quote by rokket2005
If you use an aby in front of both amps, and then have pedals with stereo ins at the front and stereo outs at the end of your pedal chain you could have the same pedals through both amps.

Yeah, I have a couple ibanez pedals with stereo outs, the ins is what is gonna make this silly. It was really just a "can I do it?" type thing, I have no need to actually do this, but I was curious.
Sounds like a damned good reason to buy more pedals, to me
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."