I can play a decent medium paced solo but when required to go up a notch and start burning shit up I turn into a spaz, my picking hand tightens up doesn't correlate with what I'm fretting.

Is there a well respected book/ DVD or series that teaches you how to do this effectively?
Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar.

While the book will help, it sounds like your problem is that you're going too fast for your hands to stay synchronized. Play only as fast as you can play perfectly, and only increase the speed after you can play it perfectly without problem.

Playing at high speeds is all about muscle memory, which can only be developed properly if you play slow. The solos you're trying to learn may very well make great exercises if you slow them down to the point where you can play them evenly and without problem.

Trying to play faster than we are able to is a trap I'm sure every guitarist has fallen into at one point in time, so don't worry too much about it; just take the time to build up your speed and you'll get there eventually.
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 2

His mp3s are at slow and shred speed, and it covers basically everything you'd want.

EDIT: just a practice tip when using the play slow for speed method. Joe Satriani said in a practice tip I read somewhere (forgot where) that you should never practice one thing for more than an hour as your brain needs to learn what you're doing.

An example of this is when you play something then the next day or two you notice an improvement in what you were doing, because your brain has learnt it.
Last edited by Livingtime at Mar 24, 2012,
i have both of those, highly highly suggest them, as well as Mike Campese Creative Speed Building Techniques dvd.
All you have to do is practice with a metronome. You don't need a book or a DVD to teach you that.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Haunt
Troy Stetina's Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar.

While the book will help, it sounds like your problem is that you're going too fast for your hands to stay synchronized. Play only as fast as you can play perfectly, and only increase the speed after you can play it perfectly without problem.

Playing at high speeds is all about muscle memory, which can only be developed properly if you play slow. The solos you're trying to learn may very well make great exercises if you slow them down to the point where you can play them evenly and without problem.

Trying to play faster than we are able to is a trap I'm sure every guitarist has fallen into at one point in time, so don't worry too much about it; just take the time to build up your speed and you'll get there eventually.

I'll second this.

And add, Paul Gilberts Intense Rock (which is on you tube).
Quote by Junior#1
All you have to do is practice with a metronome. You don't need a book or a DVD to teach you that.

This more than anything else
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by jkielq91
A book/ DVD will help show how to do it creatively though. A metronome just helps with rhythm and tempo.

And you can build speed with it, which is what TS needs. He can't play at a certain speed without tensing up so he needs to work at it with a metronome and gradually build speed. He's not asking for creative concepts or how to write a solo. He just needs to take an excerpt from a song that he can't play, and work at that with a metronome to build speed. That's it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
And you can build speed with it, which is what TS needs. He can't play at a certain speed without tensing up so he needs to work at it with a metronome and gradually build speed. He's not asking for creative concepts or how to write a solo. He just needs to take an excerpt from a song that he can't play, and work at that with a metronome to build speed. That's it.

Seconded. The solution for TS's issue is clearly not DVD's but doing the work
To be honest you're all right here - a metronome looks like a definite requirement but it never hurts to learn new stuff on the creative side of things either. I'm gonna get a book and a metronome!!
Speed comes from familiarity of the fretboard, muscle memory, and finger dexterity, which you get with loads of practice. Speed is completely worthless without control - confidently fretting each note, solid legato, excellent timing, fluency and pitch control with bends and good vibrato.

The biggest mistake that alot of newer players are making is putting a emphasis on speed without learning the basics. If you want to be eventually fast, then slow down, start with solos that have a slow pace, cut your teeth with blues or slow rock solos.

There are no shortcuts but there are lots of ways to impede your progress.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
I've got a metronome and that's already helping me increase my speed even after a week - I'm not sure if I'll be needing the book
I agree with the suggestions of Troy Stetina and Guthrie Govan's books.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15