i am currently playing an epiphone thunderbird V pro. it is doing ok for the moment, but i am looking to upgrade. i have noticed that any bass with more than four strings is harder to slap and pop on, but am also looking for six strings for extended range when playing meshuggah, nociceptor ECT. i think that i will buy two new basses to replace the one i have. one four string for jazz, funk and slapping and a six string for metal, mathcore and Djent. can anyone recommend any basses for these two categories. i have looked at the ibanes BTB406QM but i am not keen on the headstock. any help would be much appreciated.
I played one of these today and I absolutely loved it for playing slap bass. It has a style knob on it so that you can quickly EQ the bass to get a good tone for fingers or slaps. Don't let the price put you off (about £250) as they're pretty cheep. Also, I loved the neck, it was very thin, but it depends if your are used to thinker necks
http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR300
I do not think you really need a 6 string for metal try a 5 string that is what I use. I bought a Epi Thunderbird and hated it so much. I went out and spend around the same on a Schetcher Diamond 5 string and this thing plays like a $2,000 bass. There is always Bc Rich they make a few 5 strings if your looking for something really metal.
What's your budget and where do you live (for availability/pricing purposes)? And do you have any personal preferences in basses we should take into account when making suggestions?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
sorry, i though i put in my budget. £1000 is an absolute maximum for both guitars. I'm also in Derbyshire england. the bass that i play at the moment has a huge neck in all dimensions, but i'm all up for changing about a bit. am definitely looking for six strings though because of my djent needs and playing meshuggah. - also, i'm new to actually using these forums, how do i change my username or password (from the numbers)?
Last edited by jonathan.keeler at Mar 24, 2012,
username cannot be changed by any means. the password can be changed at the control panel (above to the left).

As far as a 4 string, you could try some mexican fender jazz, or some stingray copies. see what you can find. if you're willing to spend more on the 6 string, then a Vintage Modified Squier will be a safe bet, and i particularly love it...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Would you be opposed to just getting a nicer 6 string instead of two basses? Because if string spacing is your big issue you could try and find a 6-er with wider string spacing that might make slapping a bit more comfortable. That way you can upgrade to one nice bass instead of splitting your budget and settling for less on each bass.

And what the hell is mathcore?
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
Would you be opposed to just getting a nicer 6 string instead of two basses? Because if string spacing is your big issue you could try and find a 6-er with wider string spacing that might make slapping a bit more comfortable. That way you can upgrade to one nice bass instead of splitting your budget and settling for less on each bass.

And what the hell is mathcore?

to be quite honest i dont know too much about string spacing or action (strange because i have been playing a few years now). mathcore band to look at would be meshuggah. note the one two two three. i does not fit in four/four so the polyrhythms and time singatures play a big thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P68fmKQJ-6g
What's your budget and where do you live (for availability/pricing purposes)? And do you have any personal preferences in basses we should take into account when making suggestions?
Quote by jonathan.keeler
sorry, i though i put in my budget. £1000 is an absolute maximum for both guitars. I'm also in Derbyshire england. the bass that i play at the moment has a huge neck in all dimensions, but i'm all up for changing about a bit. am definitely looking for six strings though because of my djent needs and playing meshuggah. - also, i'm new to actually using these forums, how do i change my username or password (from the numbers)?

cant go above £1000. play a thinderbird at the moment but am not fussed and i don't mind change.
Mathcore just realized that. come on, you can't be serious, can you?
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by jonathan.keeler
to be quite honest i dont know too much about string spacing or action (strange because i have been playing a few years now).

Well you said you were looking into both a four string and a six string because you found slapping more difficult on 6-ers. Sometimes people have more difficulty slapping on some 6 strings because some have tighter string spacing. Your average 4 string has about 19mm string spacing. Most 6 strings will probably have around 17mm spacing, some (like an Ibanez SR) will be even tighter, around 16.5mm.

You could try looking for a nicer six string with wider string spacing that might be closer to what you'd find on a 4 string. If 17mm is too tight for you to comfortably slap you can try and find a bass with a bridge that has adjustable spacing, you may be able to widen it a bit to give yourself more room.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
For playing really fast passages id go for a tighter string spacing and just work on your technique so you can slap on it. It wont take to long as long as you practice properly.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul