I'm getting more serious with my trip hop/nujazz/psychedelic band and I'm going to be buying a new amp in a month or two. I'll be using it to jam with, play house parties, and maybe eventually we'll get around to playing proper gigs (all bars around here have PAs). I currently have a Randall rb30xm (garbage) for home and use a Rumble 25 for jams. I like a really deep thumpy tone, not a fan of brightness on bass. I usually run it as clean as possible, but sometimes I use a little bit of overdrive (kinda like digital by joy division).

So, I think what I want is:
80-100W
1x15
$300 max, maybe $400 if that would get me something next level
No horn, unless switchable
No preference for combo or head/cab
Footswitchable gain circuit would be nice, but I can just get a pedal (was thinking EHX bass blogger)
Able to handle low b

I might be wrong about what I want, I'm a bit of a bass amp n00b

So far, the Acoustic B100 has really caught my eye, but since I live in Canada, I would have to order it online and would not be able to try it out (havn't seen it in stores up here). I'm open to just about any suggestions and am willing to go used, but the used market here is 90% peavey TNTs.

So, what should I get?
My Laney BC-120 has special "hi" and "lo" circuits for 5 strings basses and up. They're not really the same anymore, but if you can find a secondhand one from the 90s...mine kicks bum-bot.
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Last edited by EMarkM at Mar 24, 2012,
The reason you see so many Peavey TNT's is they never die and everyone's used one at some point. Find one with minimal wear, good watts (100 works 200+ is splendid). Get casters and nice handles to save your spine.

Now I would look to not pay over $200 on one so haggle and play them.

Gain circuits (dirt) aren't very common on bass amps which tend to focus on clean and have one channel (most of the time). A pedal is a good idea, I'd look into a Sansamp pedal with the money saved from buying used. They allow for a myriad of tones, drive, and DI input or recording.

Don't have to go this route, but more watts is better than less. Peavey's generally have great speakers especially 15's and are known for tank like qualities and invulnerability.
Quote by EMarkM
My Laney BC-120 has special "hi" and "lo" circuits for 5 strings basses and up. They're not really the same anymore, but if you can find a secondhand one from the 90s...mine kicks bum-bot.

Seems neat but I've never seen any used ones around here. I'll keep an eye out for them, thanks.

Quote by askrere
The reason you see so many Peavey TNT's is they never die and everyone's used one at some point. Find one with minimal wear, good watts (100 works 200+ is splendid). Get casters and nice handles to save your spine.

Gain circuits (dirt) aren't very common on bass amps which tend to focus on clean and have one channel (most of the time). A pedal is a good idea, I'd look into a Sansamp pedal with the money saved from buying used. They allow for a myriad of tones, drive, and DI input or recording.

Thanks for your advice! I guess I'll see what's on the used market when I actually have the money and report back. Sansamps seem pretty slick, I'm starting to get GAS for the 3 channel programmable bass driver. The xlr out means I could do gigs without toting around an amp, and the 3 presets would mean I would never have to fiddle with knobs.

I'm still open to any other suggestions, new or used.
well, see if there's any fender M80 bass amp out there. It's got 100 watts (160 if you add another 8 ohm cab.) it handles the low b well, and got's everything you listed there except a gain knob.

I used it at 4-5 volume with a guitar and drums, and it worked pretty good. however, you might need more volume, but i think you'll be covered.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
well, see if there's any fender M80 bass amp out there. It's got 100 watts (160 if you add another 8 ohm cab.) it handles the low b well, and got's everything you listed there except a gain knob.

I used it at 4-5 volume with a guitar and drums, and it worked pretty good. however, you might need more volume, but i think you'll be covered.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for one, but I've never seen any around here.
Quote by &baconstrips
Seems neat but I've never seen any used ones around here. I'll keep an eye out for them, thanks.

Thanks for your advice! I guess I'll see what's on the used market when I actually have the money and report back. Sansamps seem pretty slick, I'm starting to get GAS for the 3 channel programmable bass driver. The xlr out means I could do gigs without toting around an amp, and the 3 presets would mean I would never have to fiddle with knobs.

I'm still open to any other suggestions, new or used.

Still bring the amp for a monitor/stage volume/back up. That programmable sansamp is cool as hell, but I got the standard VT bass for $60 and it so far seems great, but I am always fiddling at home.