Hello folks,

I have recently started playing guitar (a little over a month). Ive always wanted to play but never seemed to get around to it. I finally took the plunge and bought myself a relatively decent starter guitar (Ibanez Rg120L, yes im a lefty) a Fender frontman 25R for an amp and a BOSS ST-2 pedal.

So far i am loving it has certainly helped that i have many years of musical knowledge through the music theory courses ive taken in the past.

My reason for writing this post is that as i grow out of this instrument im looking into what my possible upgrade can be, keeping in mind that as a lefty my options are not as large but i can live with it.

After a lot of reading and hearing these instruments in person im leaning towards these:

ESP LTD EC 1000
Hagstrom Swede standard
Schecter Damien Elite SOLO

I love all kinds of rock music and i'd like my guitar to be a little flexible (The Offspring to In Flames for example), that being said my style of play would be more reflective of bands like Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle (riff heavy not much shredding if you will). I know the frontman for each tend to use PRS and those are way out of my budget.

Which guitar do you guys think will be the best pick and if its none of those please make a suggestion and ill look into them. If possible id like suggestions for an amp as well.

Guitar budget < 900
Amp Budget < 400
i think you're in good shape with the guitars at least, i'm not a fan of esp or schecters really, but they are popular in metal music. the amp requires some more research, i think if you did some more looking and trying you probably wouldn't have ended up with a frontman, but if it was your first buy then i guess it's fine. you could always get a modeling amp, which i am also not a fan of, to get many different kinds of popular amp tones for a really good price, a lot of people will recommend you to the peavey vypers
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
The original amp suggested to me by the guitar center associate was the mustang I. But i personally disliked the presets, same about the Line 6 starter they had. I picked the frontman because it has a really clear clean sound, but the distortion does suck, but with he pedal its not too bad. But i agree with you on the fact that its far from optimal. Personally id prefer to use the pedals for distortion but i know very little about which amps are worth it.
it depends on what you want, if you want a lot of gain from the amp itself then there are a plethra of amps out there that will all do similar things but will sound a bit different. if you are more into pedals then maybe you could look into getting a great clean amp to run them through, the problem with a lot of high gain amps is that the clean channel is always so...bad. do your research/youtube demo vid surfing and you'll start to get a grasp on things!
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
All 3 guitars a solid and pretty flexible so any of the 3 should work for you, the shecter and ESP will do work a bit better for metal and the Hagstrom is more rock oriented.

You really have to sit down and try each of them out and see what feels better to you, but personally I would settle on the Shecter or Hagstrom. But its probably better to ask yourself is it worth spending the money to upgrade your set-up after only a month of playing?

Focus on technique for now and improve your playing, then worry about gear. Remember a poor player can make even the best gear sound bad.
Well im not upgrading right away, i just happen to know what kind of sound im going for so i did some research to learn a bit more. Realistically speaking i dont plan on upgrading until years end or so but i like to plan ahead so i know that im not spending so much money on something that id be let down by.

Amps seem to be a whole other beast that im not very savy on
The EC-1000 sounds perfect for what you want.

My advice: Go used. Check ebay/craigs list. You'll save a ton of money, and a lot of used guitars are in very good/near mint condition.

Also, raise your amp budget. The guitar is important for feeling good and allowing you to play well, but all of your tone and sound comes from the amp. You could have a $3000 guitar, and through a starter amp, it will still sound like crap.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The EC-1000 sounds perfect for what you want.

My advice: Go used. Check ebay/craigs list. You'll save a ton of money, and a lot of used guitars are in very good/near mint condition.

Also, raise your amp budget. The guitar is important for feeling good and allowing you to play well, but all of your tone and sound comes from the amp. You could have a $3000 guitar, and through a starter amp, it will still sound like crap.

What would you suggest Amp wise?

Personally id like something that can do very clean tones, i dont mind if i have to get the metal sounds form a pedal so long as i can get proper cleans when i need them.
Quote by Remnest

Personally id like something that can do very clean tones, i dont mind if i have to get the metal sounds form a pedal so long as i can get proper cleans when i need them.

From personal experience, the best way of figuring out which amp you want comes down to going down to your local store. Walk in, grab a guitar, and start playing there stock. Your ears are the best judges for YOUR tone. Not somebody else's tone.

Saying that, I have tried some Blackstars and I was pleasantly surprised with it's performance. But like I said, go out and try them out for yourself.
Current Gear

Gibson Les Paul Double Cut (Dimarzio D Sonic Bridge PUP)
PRS SE Custom
Mexi Fender Telecaster

Vox AC-30

Krank Distortus Maximus Distortion
Electro Harmonics Big Muff Pi
Boss Chorus Ensemble
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Remnest

Well, given what you've said, and your general budget, I'm inclined to recommend a Peavey Vypyr Tube. A 6505+ 112 could also work well for what you want, but it will be far less versatile (it won't sound as good for lower gain stuff/clean stuff as the Vypyr).

I can tell you one thing for sure, most pedals out there simply cannot match the distortion tone of an amp designed for distortion.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Remnest
I have recently started playing guitar (a little over a month).

I finally took the plunge and bought myself a relatively decent starter guitar

As i grow out of this instrument im looking into what my possible upgrade can be

Sorry if i missed it somewhere in the thread, but don't you think its a little too soon to be looking for an upgrade...

The gear you want now, and the gear you will want at 6 months, 12 months etc will certainly change, as you grow you will develop the feel and ear to work out what gear suits you best.

If you have a heap of cash you feel like burning then go for it... but honestly, I doubt very much that such an inexperienced player will even notice the difference between an entry level and more serious guitar and amp.

Not trying to have a dig at you, just think you would be better sitting on your money.

Edit: My bad, just seen you said you are not looking at upgrading until the end of the year... but even then that's still a little soon IMO, focus on your playing and your sound will progress much faster than it would with any upgrades - the gear you have now isn't that bad
Last edited by zero at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by zero
Sorry if i missed it somewhere in the thread, but don't you think its a little too soon to be looking for an upgrade...

The gear you want now, and the gear you will want at 6 months, 12 months etc will certainly change, as you grow you will develop the feel and ear to work out what gear suits you best.

If you have a heap of cash you feel like burning then go for it... but honestly, I doubt very much that such an inexperienced player will even notice the difference between an entry level and more serious guitar and amp.

Not trying to have a dig at you, just think you would be better sitting on your money.

Edit: My bad, just seen you said you are not looking at upgrading until the end of the year... but even then that's still a little soon IMO, focus on your playing and your sound will progress much faster than it would with any upgrades - the gear you have now isn't that bad

Well i am new to guitar not music in general, I played Bass for a while many years ago, but mainly stuck with classical instruments (piano, cello being a personal favorite).

I believe i have a pretty good ear for the different tones, my handicap is that as you can see, i am inexperienced with guitars and their amplifiers. Ive only ever used piano amps.

You are correct in that i do need to wait quite a bit before spending tons of money on some gear since the player that matters more than the equipment. However, i want to learn what are my options so once i am ready to take the next step my search is narrowed.
Quote by Remnest

you can pick up something pretty nice if you are patient. a number of silverface fenders and music man amps fit what you are looking for and can be snatched for <400 usd.

what is your location? these amps are harder to find outside of US.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
you can pick up something pretty nice if you are patient. a number of silverface fenders and music man amps fit what you are looking for and can be snatched for <400 usd.

what is your location? these amps are harder to find outside of US.

Im in the States
I have the ltd ec1000. Great guitar. Spectacular guitar. Perfect for what and how I play. I would definitely recommend it, or at least one that comes with seymour duncan pickups instead of EMGs. I think SDs would be better suited for what you want. Schecters are pretty nice guitars too, but more so for metal. I'd keep my options open though if I were you. You never know what you'll come across.

I'd also recommend the Vyper. Great amp, especially for a beginner. I have a mesa boogie half stack, but I always find myself coming back to use my vyper just for the sheer versatility.
Another great thing, since it's a modeling amp that takes after other popular amps, it will help you get an early feel for what kind of tones and gear you'll be into.
I have the ltd ec1000. Great guitar. Spectacular guitar. Perfect for what and how I play. I would definitely recommend it, or at least one that comes with seymour duncan pickups instead of EMGs. I think SDs would be better suited for what you want. Schecters are pretty nice guitars too, but more so for metal. I'd keep my options open though if I were you. You never know what you'll come across.

I'd also recommend the Vyper. Great amp, especially for a beginner. I have a mesa boogie half stack, but I always find myself coming back to use my vyper just for the sheer versatility.
Another great thing, since it's a modeling amp that takes after other popular amps, it will help you get an early feel for what kind of tones and gear you'll be into.
As others have said the Vyper Tube is a great amp very versatile, I own one and love it to death.

You may also want to check out some Traynors, they are similar to marshal in tone without the price tag. Good cleans and great for Rock you will however need a pedal to get a more metal tone out of them.
My advice: Wait until you know better what do you want and how much you have to spent at that time. Believe me, you will change your mind on what kind of sound would you like to start building.

I started playing guitar being a metalhead, then I tried Ska, Reggae, Blues, Hard rock, Latin and I'va developed a new and very different taste, I do play metal with lots of freedom and it influenced me a lot but I prefer different tone and expressions now (I can do some interesting metal fusion too).

Wait, be patient and enjoy your approach to guitar playing and studying .

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by BigHeadClan
As others have said the Vyper Tube is a great amp very versatile, I own one and love it to death.

You may also want to check out some Traynors, they are similar to marshal in tone without the price tag. Good cleans and great for Rock you will however need a pedal to get a more metal tone out of them.

Getting pedals in order to get the metal tones is not an issue for me, for some reason i like pedals quite a bit. Like i said, so long as i get clear cleans ill be happy. Ill look into those vyper and traynors and see if the local stores have them available to test out. Any of you guys recommend Blackheart or Jet City?
I suggest you don't actually play lefty. It doesn't really matter, it's a new skill to both hands either way. What DOES matter, is that you'll be extremely limited in your guitar selection!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I suggest you don't actually play lefty. It doesn't really matter, it's a new skill to both hands either way. What DOES matter, is that you'll be extremely limited in your guitar selection!

I hear you but its absolutely out of the question for me, Im quite happy playing lefty. it simply feels natural to me and training myself to play righty would be a waste of time and effort imo.

Considering ive been in music since i was a child ive heard that suggestion repeatedly (main reason i never played cello in an orchestra is cuz all bows go in one direction and id be the only one with a custom lefty cello.)

That being said i play music for the passion of it and tend to dismiss established norms like that. As a matter of fact the main reason i was attracted by guitars vs continuing w pianos or cellos was the fact that as a guitar player i had MUCH more choices to pick from and required no need for me to adapt to some regiment like in an orchestra.

Obviously i pay a small premium as a lefty and yes we dont have nearly as much selection as as righties but at the price range im looking to upgrade to i have enough to be content. If i ever look beyond that (+2k guitars) ill simply order a custom and be done with it.
Quote by Remnest
Well im not upgrading right away, i just happen to know what kind of sound im going for so i did some research to learn a bit more. Realistically speaking i dont plan on upgrading until years end or so but i like to plan ahead so i know that im not spending so much money on something that id be let down by.

Amps seem to be a whole other beast that im not very savy on

My recommendation to you would be to spend more money on your amp than your guitar. I say this as an owner of the EC-1000 who is very happy with the guitar, but afterwards, I realized that the amp ultimately affects the tone more than the guitar. And I saw someone say to use either craigslist or ebay. I'd definitely recommend this for whatever guitar you do decide to go with. For instance, I got my EC-1000 which is new for $850, practically new at $600.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Just a thought.......IBANEZ RGT42DX ...u can pick one up usually on ebay sometimes for under 400 used & they are Highy underrated. Awesome necks,Neck thru. Good trem stays in tune nicely. Pickups are ok,overall awesome guitar.Not familiar with schectors
Quote by Remnest
Hello folks,

I have recently started playing guitar (a little over a month). Ive always wanted to play but never seemed to get around to it. I finally took the plunge and bought myself a relatively decent starter guitar (Ibanez Rg120L, yes im a lefty) a Fender frontman 25R for an amp and a BOSS ST-2 pedal.

So far i am loving it has certainly helped that i have many years of musical knowledge through the music theory courses ive taken in the past.

My reason for writing this post is that as i grow out of this instrument im looking into what my possible upgrade can be, keeping in mind that as a lefty my options are not as large but i can live with it.

After a lot of reading and hearing these instruments in person im leaning towards these:

ESP LTD EC 1000
Hagstrom Swede standard
Schecter Damien Elite SOLO

I love all kinds of rock music and i'd like my guitar to be a little flexible (The Offspring to In Flames for example), that being said my style of play would be more reflective of bands like Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle (riff heavy not much shredding if you will). I know the frontman for each tend to use PRS and those are way out of my budget.

Which guitar do you guys think will be the best pick and if its none of those please make a suggestion and ill look into them. If possible id like suggestions for an amp as well.

Guitar budget < 900
Amp Budget < 400
I've had my EC-1000 for about 3 years, and it sounds like pretty much everything you're going for. Great guitar. I'd recommend it.