to me his gain is really fuzzy and gritty, i know he used a big muff and a ds1 at different points but i don't know what he used for an amp, not really a fan, i'm assuming a marshall
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
thanks man yeh the think is it sounds clean but has a bit of distortion its hard to get, i'll just mess about some more.
Back when i was really into Nirvana I had good results with:

Guitar with humbuckers
Peavey Classic 30 set so it just barely distorts when you dig in hard
Full mids, Bass about 3/4, Treble at noon
Ds-1 for distortion, Tone between 9-11 o'clock, Dist 3 o'clock-full

Try a chorus pedal too
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Def a ds1 and chorus, I think a lot of the songs are tuned down a step or two. I'm curious if anyone knows what amps he used? Also, does anyone know how he got that amazing feedback growl in the song "radio friendly unit shifter"?
Higher gain channel with a fuzz. Roll off the tone and that's it really. That's what I do if I want a grunge sound.
Quote by gerraguitar
to me his gain is really fuzzy and gritty, i know he used a big muff and a ds1 at different points but i don't know what he used for an amp, not really a fan, i'm assuming a marshall

Nope, he had an old marshall that he used to kick around the stage, but IIRC he used Fender amps.

DS-1, but Kurt's was probably either one of the nicer earlier models, or modded to **** by his tech. Standard DS-1 is rather shitty.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
Nope, he had an old marshall that he used to kick around the stage, but IIRC he used Fender amps.

DS-1, but Kurt's was probably either one of the nicer earlier models, or modded to **** by his tech. Standard DS-1 is rather shitty.

Except, the "nicer earlier models" sound exactly the same as the newer ones. I've played two long dash DS-1s and three or four new DS-1s and the only difference between them is that you have to pay $150 for the long dash and $20-30 for a used DS-1. Even if there is a difference, and I swear there isn't, it's not a difference worth over $100. The new ones are just fine IMO.

His wasn't modded either. It was off the shelf.

He used old Fenders for recordings, but generally for live shows they used 800 watt Crest Power amps and a Mesa Boogie Preamp.

If you don't like the DS-1, he also used a Proco Rat, DS-2, Tech 21 Sansamp Classic, and on rare occasions a Big Muff and an MXR Distortion +. For chorus effects he used a Small Clone or a Polychorus.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Mar 24, 2012,
i think you just need the sweater actually...yeah you know the one...yeahhhhh you know...yeaaaahhhh
New and old DS1's sound equally shitty. As somebody mentioned already, Kurt's DS1 was probably modded. Lots of people mod DS1's because with mods they can be quite a useful pedal. After tubescreamers and crybabies they are probably the most modded pedal there is.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
All this talk about ds-1 is depressing, it not going to help one little bit as unless you are using it with the rest of kurts rig.

Best bet is to get hold of a mesa studio preamp as this is the foundation of Kurt's Nevermind/in Utero sound. Kurt paired the Studio Preamps with many power amps over the years but the preamp was the part that stayed in the rig.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
A DS-1 in front of a Mark 4 would probably get you pretty damn close to those albums I reckon.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
New and old DS1's sound equally shitty. As somebody mentioned already, Kurt's DS1 was probably modded. Lots of people mod DS1's because with mods they can be quite a useful pedal. After tubescreamers and crybabies they are probably the most modded pedal there is.

It was not modded. It was a standard DS-1, which can sound very good with the right settings in front of the right amp.
Quote by iwannabesedated
It was not modded. It was a standard DS-1, which can sound very good with the right settings in front of the right amp.

Yeah they can sound alright if you keep the distortion level down near zero and use it to boost a good tube amp. It's when you start actually using the majority of the range on the distortion knob (ie. actually using it as a distortion pedal) that they turn into total shite.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
MIJ Boss DS-1. I didn't get mine for Nirvana tones, but I can do a perfect Nirvana tone through any amp with any guitar with that pedal.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
MIJ Boss DS-1. I didn't get mine for Nirvana tones, but I can do a perfect Nirvana tone through any amp with any guitar with that pedal.

Amen.
Dude, where's my band?
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah they can sound alright if you keep the distortion level down near zero and use it to boost a good tube amp. It's when you start actually using the majority of the range on the distortion knob (ie. actually using it as a distortion pedal) that they turn into total shite.

I contend that it is a very good sounding pedal for certain things. I would also say it's the best distortion pedal you can get for under $50.
Quote by Natrone

+1
I really don't know how you guys like stock DS-1's. I really don't get it. So they are cheap, but they are cheap and nasty. I don't care how cheap a shit sandwich is, I aint eating it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I really don't know how you guys like stock DS-1's. I really don't get it. So they are cheap, but they are cheap and nasty. I don't care how cheap a shit sandwich is, I aint eating it.

I'm with you pally, I got rid of my DS1 a while back but shortly after I heard the Analogman mod of it and I kinda wish I held onto. Another probably worth mentioning in regards to replicating tone is that you also have to keep in mind the magic of the recording studio. He might have been using a stock DS1, he might have been using a modded one...but it's also safe to say it could've been created and doctored up at the board.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
wear flannel and shoot up heroin
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
wear flannel and shoot up heroin

Too true. Grunge was punk played by people too wasted on heroin to play that fast.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Bad sounds can be good sounds. A DS-1 with the tone almost all the way up and the drive set at about noon gets a nice brittle sounding distortion that is really good for simple lead lines played with some verb and delay. To the other end, drive at about 75% and tone a little past noon gets a really big, heavily saturated rhythm tone that sounds like the epitome of early Foo Fighters and plenty of other bands in the same vein from the 90s.

EDIT: That being said, the DS-1 isn't really very versatile and really should just be used to get nasty tones. You'll need something else on your board for commonly usable tones. Thus the Marshall DriveMaster sitting next to my DS-1.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Mar 26, 2012,
I have DS-1 in my GP-8 - not a simulation of a DS-1 but an actual DS-1. I made a living playing grunge in the 90's and still the DS-1 never got switched on. I can't stand the POS.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification