Hello, fellows! A couple of months ago, I changed the bridge pickup in my Gibson Les Paul Standard 08 from a Burstbucker Pro to a Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom. My conclusion is that the SH-5 has waayy too much bass, because both the guitar and the pickup are kind of
"bassy".. My amp is called Marshall JVM410H..
I am looking for a tone like 0:24here and 1:37 here. Since the guitarist on these tracks uses a Gibson Les Paul Custom with a JB in bridge into a Marshall JVM, it should not be a big problem to get that sound with a JB, but I have heard some reviews of the JB where they say it is undefined and muddy.. What do you guys think?
I am considering the JB, the SH-6 Distortion and the Suhr Aldrich... The thing is, Doug Aldrich has a really bad sound, even though he's a great guitarist
Last edited by Alfi27 at Mar 24, 2012,
Have you been using the same EQ settings you were before you changed your pickups? If you are, there's your problem.
I have of course tweaked the amp... I have bass at 3-4, mids at 7-8 and treble at 8, which is a setting I never could have used with the BB Pro, it would have sounded very thin and ice picky, but the SH-5 still has too much bass..
Last edited by Alfi27 at Mar 24, 2012,
have you tried using a boost in front of your jvm?

that very saturated type of tone can be achieved pretty easily using a tubescreamer-style overdrive boost. gain at zero, level up pretty high. they also cut bass.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
try a SH-6 distortion or better yet one of the new Seymour Duncan Slash models the Alnico II Pro. You get some crushing treble and midrange bite out of it.
The thing is, it is not only the hi gain channels that is bassy as ****, it is all of the channels... And no, I have not tried a boost in front of the amp. Did you listen to the links, btw?
From what I remember, the JB is a pretty bright pickup? SOmething mahogany would liek for sure.

Duncan makes me sad. Get something cool from a small builder, theres literally hundreds of different manufacturers out there that I'm sure you would adore. Get something wound a lot like the JB.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Mar 24, 2012,
Quote by Alfi27
The thing is, it is not only the hi gain channels that is bassy as ****, it is all of the channels... And no, I have not tried a boost in front of the amp. Did you listen to the links, btw?

yep
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Have you tried adjusting the pickup height?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Maybe get an EQ pedal?

AFAIK the Volbeat-tone is SGs/Les Pauls tuned one step down with Duncan JBs (which doesn't mean that the Custom wouldn't work) through JCM800s and JVMs with some additional EQs, Tube Screamers and some noise gates.

Actually I would first look into Tube Screamers and EQs before changing pickups again.
I'm personally everything else than a fan of the JB, it sounds rather flubby as well actually, maybe not exactly what you want. The Custom should be tighter sounding, but I'm not 100% sure, since I've never played a guitar with a Custom.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Well, Thomas, who uses the Les Paul Custom through the JVM, does not use any pedals, only a noise gate (which I use too). The Custom is tight enough, that is not the problem.. Actually, a little bit more defined Custom with less bass would have given me a very satisfying tone
Quote by Alfi27
Well, Thomas, who uses the Les Paul Custom through the JVM, does not use any pedals, only a noise gate (which I use too). The Custom is tight enough, that is not the problem.. Actually, a little bit more defined Custom with less bass would have given me a very satisfying tone

How loud are you playing and which speakers are you using?
Also, how much gain are you using?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Alfi27

What you need is an EQ pedal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JesusCrisp
How loud are you playing and which speakers are you using?
Also, how much gain are you using?

How loud? Well, not very loud, and I am using Celestion V30's.. I usually have a hi-gain tone, not very different from the amount of gain Volbeat are using. In the band, where I am playing really loud, I use an other amp, a Peavey Supreme... I have to boost the mids and highs, and really scoop the lows on that amp, much more than on the JVM.
Quote by steven seagull

Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

this.

always try this first people... always.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
yeah checking the pickup height is worth doing. failing that, though, i'm sticking with my boost recommendation. if you're playing at low volumes (I'm guessing that volbeat dude isn't) that's the surefire, foolproof way to get that type of saturation and chunk.

Quote by JesusCrisp

Actually I would first look into Tube Screamers and EQs before changing pickups again.

+1. probably a tube screamer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't own a single guitar that has level pickups, they're all slanted in some way to get the tone balanced jsut the way I want it to be
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

i used to do that but then i got lazy

i should really do it i remember it helped a lot with getting an even volume tone on the higher strings
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It can't possibly get worse if you lower the pickup on the bass side.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Well, I am just about to order the Suhr Aldrich, but I am not sure if it will sound good in my Les Paul...
screw that, get some skatterbranes.
They are not available in my country (Norway)... I think the Aldrich looks nice, but I am very unsure.... It is ****ing expensive to buy new expensive pickups and sell them cheap as well, and I think the JB might be nice too....
Last edited by Alfi27 at Apr 5, 2012,
rod won't send them to Norway? no way. you can't be serious.
I have not checked, but I have read hundreds of reviews of the Aldrich, and only one was negative. I never heard of Skatterbranes before you mentioned it...