First off, I have some questions

What is the difference between an overdrive and a boost pedal?
What does true bypass mean? And does being true bypass make a difference?

This is what I understand what certain types of pedals do that I think I should be interested in.

Buffer - Makes it so you can have a bunch of pedals running and the signal won't be interrupted
Noise Gates - Cut off sound when you try to mute it, can cut it off when it is just ringing out
Compressor - Improves and increases sustain of notes
Overdrive - Add's drive
Distortion - Add's distortion

Please tell me if I'm off or wrong with any of these, or if there is more I should know.

I am trying to hopefully get some pedals at a cheap price, so if you know of specific pedals or brands that you would recommend, that'd be very helpful.

Thankyou
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
boost is a clean boost in volume dB (voltage in the pedal)

overdrive adds an amount of just that...overdrive

true bypass means that when the pedal is not on the signal passes through it. it can be bad thing b/c it enlongates your cable run which could lead to interference and hf loss
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
"What is the difference between an overdrive and a boost pedal?"

a boost is an increase in the signal level- it makes you louder.

an od adds its own overdrive.

in practice, however (and especially if you're using a tube amp), a boost pedal will make your amp distort more, and if you set the gain on an OD pedal to zero you can use it as a pseudo-boost.

"What does true bypass mean? And does being true bypass make a difference?"

true bypass means when the pedal is off, it's disconnected completely from your signal path.

generally it's good, but the longer leads you have and/or more pedals, the more you might hear top-end rolling off. in which case you'd probably want a buffer to rectify the situation.

i think you have the pedal definitions more or less ok.

joyos are pretty good for cheap. so are toneriders.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So then, a buffer is used to limit what is lost or something? Right?
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
compressors level the signal meaning they squeeze the high volume and low volume notes closer together so they sound even and gives you a little volume boost if you need it. everything else is pretty much good. A boost pedal will give you better frequencies to cut through a mix if you are playing with a band. An OD pedal can do the same but will give you much more gain. True bypass means that there is a solid connection between the input and output so if they pedal is bypassed you wont lose signal and it wont alter your tone.
yeah. it corrects the impedance or something like that. this is getting beyond my pay grade, lol, but that's the gist of it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe buy a cheap multifx, the Zoom G3 is pretty sweet. That'll give you a good idea for what pedals do and which one you'd use
Oh, I have another question. How many pedals would you need to really get any use out of a buffer? Like would it have an effect if you only have 2 or 3 pedals?
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Quote by NortonDevon
Oh, I have another question. How many pedals would you need to really get any use out of a buffer? Like would it have an effect if you only have 2 or 3 pedals?

depends on how bad the cables are

but i have reasonably good cables, and i can notice a difference with a buffered pedal in line. granted i'm using more than 2-3. but i mean unless you're using massive patch cables or about 50 pedals, the lion's share of the cable is between the last pedal and the amp, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My board setup has the Dunlop 95Q wah running to the amp input. That pedal is buffered, and is good for running the long cable to the amp. I also have the ISP Decimator G-String running the long cable to my loop return, and that pedal is buffered as well. Really, a buffer is just for making a long cable run, or changing the impedance for certain types of pedals that really require it.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Boost is to generally use along with a tube distortion, or either just a simple overdrive can be used to boost your tone on solos. True bypass is for pedal to not interrupt the signal. It just gives you less noise cleaner signals. You don't really need a buffer. Yoold at u may not use noise gate treshold at high degrees. Also using too much of sustain from compressor can interrupt signal. Overdrive is more for softer drive tones and distortion is for heavier stuff as you see. MXR makes nice pedals that have true bypass, they are nice generally. Boss pedals are good but they make noise without true bypass. I could recommend you to buy cheap tube pedals for overdrive and distortion, a boss noisegate would be nice, and mxr compressor would do it fine i you have budget.
Compressors generally don't work very well with much gain. It accentuates the quiets, so when you have lots of gain you generally just get noise. High-gain amps generally have a fair bit of compression anyways.

Boosts are generally, pretty flat. They don't add a mid hump, or cut lows, like most overdrives.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."