Hey guys, I have been applying all the advice I have gotten in my last few threads and its going well

Decided to take things a little further though and learn the diminshed scale and I have a bunch of questions just to make sure I am on the right path.

1) I have gotten diminshed 7th arpeggios down all over the neck...and now want to play more than these 4 notes in the scale...so for example, when I play on the 6th string starting at B, I can play B, D, F, Ab anywhere. I am confused about how to go about expanding this 'scale' to get other notes...could someone explain this to me?

2) When can I play this diminshed scale? Obviously I can play it over a B, D, F, Abb Diminshed 7th chord...but what about other applications?

3) Is the diminshed scale another name of the locrian mode or am I way off? (I dont want to learn about modes yet...but just curious)

Thankyou so much for any help.
Last edited by dvm25 at Mar 24, 2012,
Quote by dvm25

1) I have gotten diminished 7th arpeggios down all over the neck...and now want to play more than these 4 notes in the scale...so for example, when I play on the 6th string starting at B, I can play B, D, F, Ab (G#) anywhere. I am confused about how to go about expanding this 'scale' to get other notes...could someone explain this to me?

Arpeggios =/= Scales, Arpeggios = Chords
Find out which scales the chord is present in (B diminished 7) and you can use that scale to get other notes. For example, a B diminished 7th occurs on the 7th degree of C harmonic minor, therefore you can use all the notes of a C harmonic scale (C D Eb F G Ab B natural (raised 7th degree) and C as the octave)

Quote by dvm25

2) When can I play this diminshed scale? Obviously I can play it over a B, D, F, Abb Diminshed 7th chord...but what about other applications?

At this point, I dont think you're ready to be dabbling with the diminished scale. I think you should have a more solid grasp on the chord/key relationships and then progress on to modes from there, but you are able to play the half-whole diminished scale over dominant chords.

Quote by dvm25

3) Is the diminshed scale another name of the locrian mode or am I way off? (I dont want to learn about modes yet...but just curious)

Locrian =/= Diminished

I dont want to give you a total explanation since you don't have a backround in modes and I dont want to confuse you, but trust me! ^.^

I learned modes and the diminished scale from 2 different teachers and they both started with modes first. I think they're a bit easier to understand than the diminished scale so I would suggest learning them first. A good way to learn the modes is through memorizing the alterations of the mode to a related scale (ex: dorian is natural minor with a raised 6) and the standard 1st degree Ionian 2nd degree Dorian and so forth.

Quote by dvm25

Thankyou so much for any help.

np.
Last edited by mrwiggles35 at Mar 24, 2012,
You're talking about diminished 7th arpeggios.

Octatonic scales (AKA diminished scales) are 8 note scales with alternating whole and half steps (or half and whole).

You'll find them used in works by Liszt, Russian composers (Korsakov, Mussorgsky and Stravinsky), Ravel, Debussy, Bartok, Messiaen, film music (Alan Silvestri for sure), metal (dream theaters the only band I can think of off the top of my head) and Jazz over dominant harmony.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Mar 24, 2012,
Quote by griffRG7321
You're talking about diminished 7th arpeggios.

Octatonic scales (AKA diminished scales) are 8 note scales with alternating whole and half steps (or half and whole).

Yeah, I understand that there are diminished scales such as the half-whole/whole-half, but I've heard people refer to the actual arpeggio when its on a strict 2 note per string pattern as "The Diminished Scale".

B, D, F, Abb

That doesn't give you a diminished anything. Note wise, assuming we could call the Abb G instead, you would have a G7 chord.

So with that, you would just be playing a first inversion G7.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Mar 24, 2012,