I've been playing for about 5 years now and I'm looking for an upgrade from my beginner stratocaster and my old $40 amp, I was considering an Ibanez RG920QMZ
and a Line 6 Spider IV 75 75W. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. (I play mostly classic rock, lead guitar and some metal.)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG920QMZ-Premium-Electric-Guitar-H69986-i1697587.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-IV-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105482855-i1470460.gc
My main advice to you would be to not get the solid state line 6. If you want an amp like that with all the effects built in, get a line 6 spider valve, more pricey but a way better tone.
Looks like a good choice. Although, I always tell people to at least play a Godin guitar, just to see if it can change their mind... they work beautifully for most genres and feel great to play. One that is comparable to the look of that Ibanez is the Godin Freeway.
lolwut, what's with all the spider love?

what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ibanezboy
My main advice to you would be to not get the solid state line 6. If you want an amp like that with all the effects built in, get a line 6 spider valve, more pricey but a way better tone.

I would but im on a $300 budget for the amp. What's the price of the one you suggested?
what's your total budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The guitar is a good choice. But avoid SS spyder amps. You might want to increase your budget for your amp, this would be a good choice for $450 http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-VYPYR-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc
The amp also needs to be small enough to sit in a bedroom,im in an apartment, so i cant get anything too big or my neighbors would complain
Then spend a lot more on the amp and a lot less on the guitar.

The Line 6 Spider is garbage, I guess there must be a full moon tonight or something o_O
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I would highly recommend spending a little less on your guitar and more on an amp. I have a Spider and I must say with the exception of the Spider valves they are absolutely shit amps. The RG you mentioned runs around 700 used, and with a 300 amp budget you presumably have 1000 bucks. You could get a very nice all tube 50w combo for 400-500 used and spend the rest on the guitar. If you really want the RG you mentioned, get it and buy a 60W Peavey Vypyr instead. It is a much better modelling amp than the Spider for an extremely similar price.

Happy hunting, and if you have questions about anything I've said please let me know.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Last edited by GeetarHeero at Mar 24, 2012,
Quote by steven seagull
Then spend a lot more on the amp and a lot less on the guitar.

The Line 6 Spider is garbage, I guess there must be a full moon tonight or something o_O

What would you suggest for a cheaper guitar?
I would get a vox vt80 instead of the line6. maybe a tad less versatile, but a much nicer tone and still very usable. sounds good at lower volumes too. I wouldn't suggest getting too fancy an amp yet, given that this is your first serious amp. take some time to learn what you like and dont like, as well as developing your style.

for a guitar, I would go for a fender blacktop strat. it offers excellent value, solid tones and good playability at a really good price. the amp and the guitar could easily be found for under a grand, and should last you quite a while
Im liking the peavey, ill look into it. One thing I liked about the line 6 was the feature they had with the tone matching for specific songs.
Blacktop strat looks nice, and with the price i could spend a bit more on the amp. I'll consider that one.
Blacktops are awesome. If your in a apartment I suggest a recording interface for your computer. All I use is a $20 Rocksmith cable with reaper and a few free VST and I get some pretty awesome tones, I actually am just now finishing up a good A7X setup, did a good Pantera tone the other nite, and last night I got a nice System of a Down tone. I was using a M-Audio Fast Track but I decided I didnt need it.
I really suggest going used. You get so much more bang for buck buying used.

You like rg's and strats? Look at 80's Kramer pacers or focus 2000 or 3000 (the mid to late 80's ones were all made by ESP anyway, even the pacer Americans) they go for anywhere from 250-500 dollars and are top shelf instruments IMO

The blacktops are nice guitars too.

I think a blackstar ht40 would get you those sounds you are looking for, and then you could have money left over for effects.

A spider is just an amp you will outgrow within a year anyway, they're more for beginners looking for what kind of sound they like IMO , and do not sound very good.

A good rule to remember is that a great guitar through a bad amp will always sound bad. An OK guitar through an excellent amp will still sound great.
Quote by Darkdevil725
Blacktops are awesome. If your in a apartment I suggest a recording interface for your computer. All I use is a $20 Rocksmith cable with reaper and a few free VST and I get some pretty awesome tones, I actually am just now finishing up a good A7X setup, did a good Pantera tone the other nite, and last night I got a nice System of a Down tone. I was using a M-Audio Fast Track but I decided I didnt need it.

Really? can you post a link to the software you use?
Built in effects suck after you have tried some real stompboxes. So do built in amp models after you have played through a tube amp. My advice is: Buy a used tube amp. I got my Laney VC30 for € 280 (as new it's € 630). Of course a guitar is as important as an amp, maybe more important if you are going to use your amp only at home and have another amp at your band practice place. Go try some guitars and buy the one you like the most. I think somebody here will suggest a Blackstar HT5/20 or Jet City JCA as an amp (haven't tried them). They are pretty cheap. I would rather have 2 good tones that you get with a 2 channel amp than uber versatility and only some decent sounds. I can still do with my Laney VC30 everything I want. Even some metal. It doesn't have that scooped sound (and it sucks if you scoop mids with that amp) but whatever, I play with my own sound. I don't even tweak my EQ settings any more because I have found my sound (lots of mids, that's where my amp is at its best). So if you want to copy other artists' sounds then get the Spider (though there are better sounding options available like Roland Cube) but if you want your own sound then get a real tube amp. And remember: you can always buy the stompboxes you need later. You are never going to use all the features that modeling amps have.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by GM-MONEY
Allright, now between the blacktop and the RG?

apple or an orange. though they can cover fairly similar territory, they are very different guitars. if you can, go play both because they are so totally different in terms of feel that you really must choose based on preference
Quote by krehzeekid
apple or an orange. though they can cover fairly similar territory, they are very different guitars. if you can, go play both because they are so totally different in terms of feel that you really must choose based on preference

Allright, ill check them out when i go to guitar center. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Quote by steven seagull

i'm not sure about the amp... it depends on what you mean by "small" and "not annoying your neighbours"
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What i need is something that could fit in a small bedroom,and sounds good at lower volumes. Also, im now considering a fender telecaster, any thoughts?
Quote by krehzeekid
I would get a vox vt80 instead of the line6. maybe a tad less versatile, but a much nicer tone and still very usable. sounds good at lower volumes too. I wouldn't suggest getting too fancy an amp yet, given that this is your first serious amp. take some time to learn what you like and dont like, as well as developing your style.

for a guitar, I would go for a fender blacktop strat. it offers excellent value, solid tones and good playability at a really good price. the amp and the guitar could easily be found for under a grand, and should last you quite a while

Everything this man said was good.
listen to him.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.