Piñata
Banned
194 IQ
Been trying to find my voice in singing and suddenly screaming comes up.

I've written a few songs witch involve singing in a tom waits/jack white kind of scream and I think it sounds okay, but I have no idea if I'm using proper technique but I'm guessing no since it starts to hurt after too long practicing my songs... Are there any exercises I should know of to make sure I'm doing it right and not damaging my throat?
Last edited by Piñata at Mar 24, 2012,
RicketyCricket
328 IQ
The number one thing to keep in mind is to not strain. Particularly your throat/neck need to be as relaxed as possible.
Jfour
65 IQ
If it hurts it means you're doing it wrong and it will damage your vocal cords if you continue that way.
Aralingh
Intelligent person
301 IQ
Quote by Jfour
If it hurts it means you're doing it wrong and it will damage your vocal cords if you continue that way.

If you sing for 14 hours straight and feel some pain, is it still wrong?
yb62338
10 IQ
There's different kinds of screaming. There's belting in classic rock style, which usually has a pretty good foundation in solid technique. And then there's flat out screaming like the Used and Slipknot.

If you can specify what you mean by screaming, you'll probably get a better answer.
Piñata
Banned
194 IQ
Sometimes I can relax everything, but can't hit the higher notes with a little straining a little yet...

Quote by Jfour

Well, it's not like I'm coughing blood or anything, there's just a noticeable difference to the way my throat feels after singing which is a little painful , but I guess I do need work on it...

My drummer put a live demo/rehearsal on youtube the other day of a song where I scream quite a bit... I know it's rough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNPkn-tTHGk
Last edited by Piñata at Mar 24, 2012,
MantheDan
78 IQ
You scream from your diaphgram, not your throat, yes?
I tried to change my password to 'penis'...it said it was over the limit
Piñata
Banned
194 IQ
Quote by MantheDan
You scream from your diaphgram, not your throat, yes?

I'm almost certain that I breathe from my diaphragm, but it distorts at my throat.
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
There's a whole sticky thread at the top of this forum on the topic.

If done right, screaming is perfectly safe. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong, and you should stop.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Piñata
Banned
194 IQ
Quote by MatrixClaw
There's a whole sticky thread at the top of this forum on the topic.

If done right, screaming is perfectly safe. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong, and you should stop.

I read a bit of that, but it seemed more directed at metal vocalists than rock... might read the rest now if it's any help. I don't think what I'm doing is nearly as extreme as that though.
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Doing anything incorrectly with your voice can damage it. Quite a daunting list of victims here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22022422#post22022422

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.