No poll for you, I need opinions.

I've recently gotten a vintagey precision bass with the intention of fitting a set of flatwounds (LaBellas to be precise) to go for a James Jamerson and Geezer Butler vibe. However, on Friday I was playing a show (specifically a live performance workshop) and I loved the sound of the nickel rounds I was using so now I'm in a bit of a pickle.

Do I:

1. Go ahead with getting a set of LaBella flats.

2. Stick with the nickel roundwounds.

3. Get a set of half round and get something that is either close to both or nothing like either.
Two bass's, two different types of strings. Go on you know you want to.

But in reality one bass would mean i would stick with nickel rounds and use some foam or my palm when i wanted more old school tones.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I've played half-rounds (or Groundwounds, as they are often called) twice. Two different brands, and for some reason both of them felt very sticky. They were nickel-plated, rather than coated, so I don't know why they felt like that. But it made sliding across the strings difficult, and I vowed never to use them again. Your best bet would be to go with something like GHS Brite Flats, which have more high-end than the usual flatwounds.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I adore Roto SH77s. Incredibly bright for flats.

I have no experience with half wounds but I am very interested in trying some.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by FatalGear41
I've played half-rounds (or Groundwounds, as they are often called) twice. Two different brands, and for some reason both of them felt very sticky. They were nickel-plated, rather than coated, so I don't know why they felt like that. But it made sliding across the strings difficult, and I vowed never to use them again. Your best bet would be to go with something like GHS Brite Flats, which have more high-end than the usual flatwounds.

I always use halfwounds on my Jack Casady bass. When the strings are new they are very sticky. But after about a week of playing they break in and feel more like a pair of rounds. Either that or I got used to them. Either way the strange feel doesn't last.

As far as sound I use them because they have more presence than a set of flats but do really well at vintage stuff. I can't really beat into them with a pick too well and I don't use them for funk, but that may be my bass itself as opposed to the strings. I really like them for plucked lines and for slap that doesn't need a slap tone (hard to describe sorry). I can't see myself using anything besides halfwounds on that bass but that may be because I have a fretless roundwound P-bass and a roundwound warwick so I have my other bass needs covered.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Quote by fatgoogle
Two bass's, two different types of strings. Go on you know you want to.

But in reality one bass would mean i would stick with nickel rounds and use some foam or my palm when i wanted more old school tones.

I would love another bass just for different strings. Sadly not even my generous student loan is enough for that, living in London.

A foam mute with roundwound just makes a bad sound to my ears, its just not right.
Quote by FatalGear41

I've heard the tone of bright flats like GHS flats and Steve Harris Rotos and I can't say I like them one bit. :/ The frequencies they amplify are just horrible.
Quote by will42
I always use halfwounds on my Jack Casady bass. When the strings are new they are very sticky. But after about a week of playing they break in and feel more like a pair of rounds. Either that or I got used to them. Either way the strange feel doesn't last.

As far as sound I use them because they have more presence than a set of flats but do really well at vintage stuff. I can't really beat into them with a pick too well and I don't use them for funk, but that may be my bass itself as opposed to the strings. I really like them for plucked lines and for slap that doesn't need a slap tone (hard to describe sorry). I can't see myself using anything besides halfwounds on that bass but that may be because I have a fretless roundwound P-bass and a roundwound warwick so I have my other bass needs covered.

The strings I'm using are some slightly dead Slinkies and they cut really well but have no nasty clickiness though they don't go deep like flatwounds. Do your halfrounds do both?