Hey guys, I'm a noob.

Anyway, I bought a ht-5 mini stack (5 watt head and 2 speaker cabs)

I connected the 2 cabs to the head using the supplied speaker cables.

I'm confused because I connected the cabs to the '1x8 Ohm or 2x16 Ohm' jack on the back of the head. At first it didn't work then I just switched the cables around (but kept them in the same tap 2x16) and now it works.

I'm confused because I can't see anything different between the two cabs, why does one have to go left and one have to go right?

tl;dr wtf
Just a guess here, but if both speaker cabs are the same, then you should be plugging one into the 1x8 Ohm input, and one into the 2x16 Ohm input.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
Could you upload a pic of the back of the cabinets? I just want to see what the input/outputs look like.
It works for about 20 seconds perfectly fine, then there is a crackle, at first its quiet, then it gets louder, I can still hear my guitar when its crackling, then the guitar gradually gets quieter until you can't hear it at all anymore and the crackling stops.
They're plugged in fine in that picture, take them back to where you got them and see what they say.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Does the label under the cabinet input say if it's rated for 8 ohms or 16 ohms? I couldn't quite make that out in the pics. I would imagine they're both 8 ohms, but I thought I'd just make sure.
Hmm, try plugging the 1x16 output of your amp into just one of the cabs. Make sure to leave the other cab unhooked. If the cab is rated for 16 ohms, that should work fine...I'm just trying to help narrow down where the issue is occurring.
Removed the cables for the cabs, plugged my headphones into the back of the head, click the little button beside it..

Worked for about 40 seconds then swooshing, guitar gets quieter, crackle, then silence.

Amp problem then?
You can use the emulated output on the HT-5 without it being plugged in, you just should have the volume turned down all the way. It's used for recording/headphones. Sounds like a problem with the amp to me.
Quote by TremontiAddict
Hmm, try plugging the 1x16 output of your amp into just one of the cabs. Make sure to leave the other cab unhooked. If the cab is rated for 16 ohms, that should work fine...I'm just trying to help narrow down where the issue is occurring.

Hey sorry meant to say I've tried this, removed cables put the 1 cab into the 1x16, same problem, works for a while then crackle then silence.

So so confused.

Also when I let the power stay on for a good while (say 2 minutes) before I hit standby, it seems to take a bit longer for the crackling to kick in. But it always kicks in.
Thanks for all the responses guys, I was convinced it was me at first being stupid.

This is actually the first ever experience I've had with a tube amp. so sad it had to be like this

The worst thing is, it sounds so ****ing great for those first 20 seconds. BASTARD!
I've heard people say tube amps sound better a million times on here and I thought that was just audiophiles being well...audiophiles.

Or just gear sluts.

But seriously, after 20 seconds of playing one, I knew there is an absolute world of difference between these and solid states.

(my experience of solid states wasn't particularly good mind, Line 6 Spider II and Marshall MG)

God, I'm such a noob.
Quote by unknown2k11
I've heard people say tube amps sound better a million times on here and I thought that was just audiophiles being well...audiophiles.

Or just gear sluts.

But seriously, after 20 seconds of playing one, I knew there is an absolute world of difference between these and solid states.

(my experience of solid states wasn't particularly good mind, Line 6 Spider II and Marshall MG)

God, I'm such a noob.

You do know that the HT series aren't all tube, right? They're good for the money and what they are but wait until you try something properly high-end.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You do know that the HT series aren't all tube, right? They're good for the money and what they are but wait until you try something properly high-end.

Yeah, I've read about that before, seen the pictures of the circuit board etc. I ideally wanted an orange tiny terror with an orange cab but couldn't afford that. I know that's still not high-end, I can only imagine what the heads worth £1000+ sound like..

This blackstar is high-end compared to what I'm used to anyway...if it would work
The cabs should both be plugged into the "1 8 ohm or 2 16 ohm" jacks. My guess is that both cabs (if they are the ones for the HT-5 head) are both 16 ohm and those two jacks use the 8 ohm tap of the amps OT. The "1 16" ohm jack is for a single 16 ohm speaker and uses a different tap of the OT altogether. Do not use that unless you are connecting only one speaker cabinet.
Quote by unknown2k11
Yeah, I've read about that before, seen the pictures of the circuit board etc. I ideally wanted an orange tiny terror with an orange cab but couldn't afford that. I know that's still not high-end, I can only imagine what the heads worth £1000+ sound like..

This blackstar is high-end compared to what I'm used to anyway...if it would work

Fair enough, just making sure: I remember when Marshall still made the AVT series and everyone kept being all "herp but they're not all tube derp". Silly people. As if that was the only thing that made them crap

Obviously it depends what you're in to but some amps, and trust me here, are worth hunting down and trying just to see how they feel to play. There have been very few amp experiences as exciting to me as trying things like a Cornford MK50II, a Cicognani Brutus Live and a Diezel Herbet. Phenomenal... but priced to match unfortunately.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
You got a bum amp. Either contact Blackstar support or take it back to the store.
Emailed blackstar, probably do the same for the store website tomorrow.

Thanks again guys.