Hey guys. I'm in the market for a new amp soon, and I'm currently debating between two.

A Peavey Valveking 212

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-valveking-212-combo-amp/481443000000000

or a Peavey Vypyr Tube 120W

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-vypyr-tube-120-120w-2x12-guitar-tube-amp/482913000001000

Or if you guys have a better amp I could get in the 400-700 price range I'll take that advice too.

I play a lot of prog, metal, and a dash of rock. I can't really buy anything used locally, there aren't any major cities nearby and no one around here sells used gear anyway. Let me know if you need to know anything else. Thanks guys
Though im a big supporter of Vypyrs I think the Valveking and some decent pedals would be more suitable for you.
valveking and a decent OD pedal (tubescreamer is the obvious choice). it has a very nice core sound, especially with a tube upgrade, and easily has enough gain for most types of metal if you boost the front end.

the vypyr can do lot of different sounds, but it doesn't really do anything particularly well.
Guess I should have mentioned that I'm currently using a fender mustang, and I'm using it for all my effects. So I don't have any pedals to speak of (except a cheap piece of crap a buddy have me for 20 bucks). I don't have a lot of extra money for pedals either. So would it be better for me to get the vypyr, or is the valveking still superior even if I can't get a new pedal for awhile?
Quote by Darkdevil725
Though im a big supporter of Vypyrs I think the Valveking and some decent pedals would be more suitable for you.

I think I'm gonna agree with this. The Vypyr is great if you actually use a ton of tones (not sure if you do or not). The VK is great if you just need some decent mid gain tones and good cleans. It's a very straight forward amp that takes pedals great.

If money is an issue, and you need good cleans, crunch and modern high gain (or anything in between) as well as an array of FX, then the Vypyr hands down.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ibacred
Guess I should have mentioned that I'm currently using a fender mustang, and I'm using it for all my effects. So I don't have any pedals to speak of (except a cheap piece of crap a buddy have me for 20 bucks). I don't have a lot of extra money for pedals either. So would it be better for me to get the vypyr, or is the valveking still superior even if I can't get a new pedal for awhile?

its easier to live with a good basic tone and no effects than it is to deal with constantly average tone. get the better amp and add as needed.
you will love it.

my brother got one to replace his spider, and he just absolutely fell in love with it. I suspect you'll really like it too