hey ug im just wondering what are some differnt powerchord shapes i can use to make my playing sound more evil i play thrash metal death metal and black metal
Well considering a power chord is only ever the First and Fifth you can really change the tonality... I'd recommend looking intro Tri-Tone chords for evil sounds though.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Seriously?

A power chord by itself can't sound evil. It can't sound happy, sad, crazy, or any other emotions. You need more than 2 degrees of a scale for that. Your best bet at getting a bit of a darker tone while still keeping the general power chord shape is to add the 5th in the base:

e|---
B|---
G|-5-
D|-5-
A|-3-
E|-3-

And didn't Mark already tell you to stop making threads? It's good advice. Spend some time actually playing the instrument instead of just studying it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Look into different types of chords, but there are only really 3 powerchord shapes.

Normal Powerchord

Raised 5th powerchord

Lowered 5th powerchord (tritone interval)

You can mess around with these but I'd look into more complex chords if you want to add abit of emotion, different scales etc.
Diminished chords are ****ing evil
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
Look into different types of chords, but there are only really 3 powerchord shapes.

Normal Powerchord

Raised 5th powerchord

Lowered 5th powerchord (tritone interval)

You can mess around with these but I'd look into more complex chords if you want to add abit of emotion, different scales etc.
Diminished chords are ****ing evil

You don't actuall understand what a power chord is, do you?

TS: Look at what's come before: analyse how all those classic metal bands have got the sounds they did. If you know how other people did it you can apply it to your own playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Jesus I do play the instrument I come her for help and advice. I may hav worded it wrong I ment small variations of power chords to give it a differnt sound that makes my playing stand out a little more
And I'm not really trying to get a sound like the older metal bands I want to get something completely differnt I'm just stuck on how to do it
Quote by buud9
And I'm not really trying to get a sound like the older metal bands I want to get something completely differnt I'm just stuck on how to do it

with a trained ear, instrumental technique, and knowledge of theory. emphasis on the first, though.

can you hear this "completely different" sound in your head? if not, how do you expect to play it on your instrument?
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I have a sound in my head I just don't know how to get it. So I'm asking for differnt shapes or techniques I could use to see if any of them work.
Quote by buud9
I have a sound in my head I just don't know how to get it. So I'm asking for differnt shapes or techniques I could use to see if any of them work.

Well, a power chord is a root and a 5th, or perhaps 2 roots and 2 5ths. Quite frankly, you can find them all over the neck. That is, if you know the names of the notes on the fret board.

If you want really low power chords, drop tune or buy a 7 or 8 string.
for more evil power chords simply mess around with your minor 2nd and tritone intervals.

Also check out some thrash / death metal bands and see what chords they do, sometimes it not just power chords.

EDIT: if you don't know your intervals, your root note is usually the name of the chord so

A--7--
E--5-- the A (fret 5) is the root note. anyway a minor second is 1 note away from your root note (fret 6), and a tritone is 6 notes away (fret 11). Hope that helps.
Last edited by Livingtime at Mar 25, 2012,
Dude, scoot this one around:

-E <-----That's your thickest string.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Dude, scoot this one around:

-E <-----That's your thickest string.

That's D minor?

Well, I think TS doesn't need "different kinds of power chords", he needs chord progressions (all power chords sound the same, of course it sounds a bit more heavy when you have the fifth note as the lowest note). This chord progression sounds pretty evil if you ask me: E, Bb7. Try that. And with pretty slow tempo. And so does Em, Cm. Maybe use lots of diminished chords? That's something I call "witch music" , it needs church organs and that kind of witch laughter.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I guess, but with the distortion cranked up to like 12 it sounds so freakin' evil, and just move it around to get some wickedly evil progressions with chugs in between.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

If you are playing a riff in D, try dropping the 6th string to D and let it ring with a 5th string D power chord.
Sounding "evil" and dark has a lot more to do with your chord progressions and your techniques rather than the chords themselves. But here are some shapes that lend themselves to that sound (and these can be moved up and down the fretboard):

I call this a "reverse" power chord. Don't know what it's really called. But I tend to tremelo pick over this shape quite a bit.

This is just an E-minor shape using the index finger barred across the 5th fret. You can also use an A-minor shape. Basically any minor chord can be moved all over the neck if you barre it, and they can sound dark and "evil." But you'll need to break it up by tremelo picking, strumming, and arpeggiating. Just chugging with downstrokes on a 6-string chord is going to sound like mud most of the time.

But I'm just showing you the tip of the iceberg here....
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
If you want two string chord shapes then you just move your finger that is fretting the fifth to another fret, but its than no longer a power chord, move it up a fret its a minor 6th, move it down a fret its a tri tone, move it down again its a fourth, again, its a major 3rd, again a minor 3rd, again a major 2nd....see a pattern?

3-Minor Third

3-Major Third

3-Perfect Fourth

4-Tritone(diminished fifth, augmented fourth)

3-Perfect Fifth(Power Chord)

3-Minor Sixth

7-Major Sixth

8-Minor 7th

9-Major 7th

These aren't necessarily chords per say, but intervals, if you wanted to make a triad out of them you would need to add another third to determine whether its major, minor, augmented, diminished, or half diminished.