I want to replace the stock pots in my rg with 500k EVH,s. Are the tone and volume pots the same. Thanks
No, the tone pots are probably linear taper whilst the volume pots are ideally log (audio) taper. This is because the ear hears volumes in a logarithmic scale (dB). Just a little maths for you to bear in mind.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Mar 25, 2012,
thanks. Im looking at musicians friend and they are not listing as seperate tone and volume pots they are just identified as pots?
the volume pots are log (B) pots, marked B500KΩ & the tone are linear pots (A) they are marked A500KΩ

You can go to any electronics store & buy these there is nothing special about them. It is the quality of the resistance material inside the pot that makes a difference (either linear or logarithmic) poor quality pots will crackle or hiss as you move them.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Mar 24, 2012,
Volume and Tone Pots are exactly the same at their basics. It's when you add a capacitor to one of them that it acts as a tone. There are some differences in pots you should look for when buying new ones.

Check out this video on pots,
http://youtu.be/RdfIZEB2rdM
and if you want, check this one on tone pots.
http://youtu.be/7ANG3OrL5HI

Hopefully that'll help you decide what pots are best for you.
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
Quote by michaelbot9000
Im almost positive audio taper is a log taper... just fyi!
My bad, I made a typo there.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Dix_Fix
the volume pots are log (B) pots, marked B500KΩ & the tone are linear pots (A) they are marked A500KΩ

You can go to any electronics store & buy these there is nothing special about them. It is the quality of the resistance material inside the pot that makes a difference (either linear or logarithmic) poor quality pots will crackle or hiss as you move them.

It isn't actually standardised. Most log pots these days are labelled A. But there isn't a standard, you have to look up the manufacturers specs to be sure.

http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm#taper

If you want really good quality pots look for ALPS made in Japan, They are a bit bulky but the quality is excellent. You can feel they are better quality just by turning them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 26, 2012,
Yes ^^ Cathbard^^ is right r.e. being able to feel the difference in good quality pots. That is about the wiper arm inside the pot, how smooth it runs along the resistance material, but the overall quality is in the resistance material that the wiper runs on , after all it's job is to give an accurate increasing or decreasing resistance (log or linear) as the wiper moves along its length.
edit hey cathbard didnt you mean logs are marked B
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Mar 28, 2012,
No, you are talking about the old code. The modern way to label a pot is A for log and B for linear. It does make more sense - A for audio.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've seen tone pots on guitars done both with linear and with log taper pots. I personally prefer log for tone , in my experience with linear you turn the thing down to about 3 and suddenly all your treble disappears
Quote by kenmx10
thanks. Im looking at musicians friend and they are not listing as seperate tone and volume pots they are just identified as pots?

All pots are the same. What defines them as a tone or volume pot is how you wire them up. Hope this helps!
^^^bull-shit^^^
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by conor1423
All pots are the same. What defines them as a tone or volume pot is how you wire them up. Hope this helps!

Troll or stoopid?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100