I have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 and I'm very happy with it, but I can't get a good metal sound out of it. I'm looking to get a pedal but I don't know if i should get a overdrive or a distortion. Any suggestions? I play alot of A7X, BFMV, and Metallica.
Boss SD-1. Set Gain to 0 and level to 10. Tone wherever sounds best to you.

EDIT: I suppose I should also mention that any Tubescreamer type of OD will work, I just personally think the SD-1 sounds best with Marshall amps.

Other notable mentions that are very good but not very popular are the MXR GT-OD and the Way Huge Green Rhino.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 24, 2012,
you really should just need to boost it, i can't imagine that it is lacking all that much gain.

try out just a tubescreamer at first. if that doesn't quite do it maybe try a little bit of an OD.

TC electronics just came out with a new boost pedal that looks pretty interesting http://www.tcelectronic.com/spark-booster.asp
What's not metal about it, too loose for modern styles? In that case, TS-9 (808 if you have cash) with drive at 0 and level max. Tone at zero as well.

DSL's are also very midranged voiced so you could try cutting your mids back a bit. Only problem is that by turning your mids down it'll make you look like a little retard kid who thinks mid-scopping is "SUPERRR BROOTALZ". You can avoid that by taking out some of the mids using a graphic EQ in the loop, that way you can get the perfect sound while keeping the mid knob up halfway, so you don't look like a mid-scooping idiot child.
If you want something cheap and cheery for a quick fix, grab a Bad Monkey. Tighten up your lower end and push the amp a little harder.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Would the MXR 10 band EQ in the effects loop help out to get a tighter more metal sound?
Just get a bad monkey.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by C_O2013
Would the MXR 10 band EQ in the effects loop help out to get a tighter more metal sound?

It will help, but an OD is the most important thing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Let's be clear about this. Are you after more gain or is it the tone that's the problem? If it's tone then an EQ in the loop will help. If it's gain level or gain and tone them stick it out front.
Also, what tubes do you have in it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The amp has enough gain, but i just can't seem to get the sound I'm looking for. And it has ecc83's in the preamp, and el34 power tubes.
I meant what brand of tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well those are about as good as you're going to get for a DSL.

An EQ in the loop may be the ticket afterall.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification