so i just got back from seeing the movie and although it wasn't bad and i kinda liked it,I just dont see what the big hype is about the movie.there was so many people at the theater when i saw it,it was crazy.so can someone here enlighten me as to why this movie is so popular?I know there are the books to the movies but to be honest,before the movie started advertizing I had never heard of it before.So what is the deal?
... people like the books ... ?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
It's supposed to be the new 'epic' saga. I thought the camera work was fairly annoying at times but overall it was all right, I guess.

EDIT: Actually the love story was completely cringeworthy and a fair amount of the acting was quite shoddy.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Mar 24, 2012,
I thought the guy in the beginning in her district, who I assume she loved, was a horrible actor.
I loled when he said something about trading a squirrel for bread in a fake way.

Meh movie overall but Safe & Sound by Taylor Swift is a good song. Just learned it a few minutes ago.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
... Maybe it has a huge following because the book (Which I enjoyed, actually. And I read at a lot higher level than what Suzanne Collins writes, so don't say it's because I'm a young adult and I'm the intended audience) is HUGELY successful, and has been the #1 selling book at most places for about 2 1/2 years now.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
I hear the movie is a Battle Royal ripoff with a tacky love story thrown in. Can anyone confirm?

Just wiki'd Battle Royale. Confirmed.
West Ham United
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
I hear the movie is a Battle Royal ripoff with a tacky love story thrown in. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah, my parents got me the book the year it came out and it was pretty good.
It's a western version of Battle Royal with a sort of Twilight sub plot.
I'd actually never heard of the books, but I guess if they're popular that'd be what's driving the movie's hype. Much like how Game of Thrones has become really big, or any book to movie sage really. There's always a lot of hype at the start, but it'll be interesting to see if it lasts the whole series.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Quote by Dory77
I'd actually never heard of the books, but I guess if they're popular that'd be what's driving the movie's hype. Much like how Game of Thrones has become really big, or any book to movie sage really. There's always a lot of hype at the start, but it'll be interesting to see if it lasts the whole series.

Game of thrones has an amazing show that is worthy of major hype though.This movie was just ok.
Quote by Dory77
whole series.

There's more of that?

Well, we're gonna have a new "shiny one" soon enough.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Wasn't a terrible movie, I gave it 3/4 stars. It is different from the book, but I've heard mostly good things about it from other people. Its certainly killing in box office. Every theater in my town, including mine, has been nearly sold out all day.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by JKHC
There's more of that?

Well, we're gonna have a new "shiny one" soon enough.

You bet there is. They've already started writing the screen play of the second book.
It's a trilogy mind you.
For a movie adaptation to the book, it's pretty damn good. My main complaint was the fuzzy camera work at times too. I thought they casted well, really. And it's huge because the books were easy to read and pretty enjoyable. Even though they're clearly written for a younger audience, they're pretty good once you get past that. The plot revolves more around a rebellion against a totalitarian government than a love story.

If you've read the books, you'll definitely enjoy the movie. If not, the movie probably won't be anything special to you.
Looks like just another generic action scifi movie

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Read the book you cretin. As a movie adaptation it was amazing. I really enjoy the series, personally, but I would understand if it didn't satisfy a lot of peoples taste.

^Fuck you, man.

I'm tired of all these motherfuckin' non-readers talking in this motherfuckin' thread.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by brender
Game of thrones has an amazing show that is worthy of major hype though.This movie was just ok.

Yea, I've only seen bits of GoT, and it looks pretty good. I was just using it as a comparison, since there is heaps of talk about the books/show; not ragging on it
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
I seriously do not get the big hype. Never even heard of such a thing until my gf went all psycho when she heard there's a movie coming out.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Was it as good as....

The Hobbit?

Didn't think so TS.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Saw the movie too. None of the characters were very compelling or memorable at all. They did a very "safe" job with the movie and that's it. I'm sure the books are quite good, but honestly the title of the books makes me cringe, and the story really isn't that unique. My ****ing girlfriend made me go see it with her on opening night and we were the only two 22 year olds in a theater packed full of loud fagotty highschoolers. God I ****in hate that girl and regret that night.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
Saw the movie too. None of the characters were very compelling or memorable at all. They did a very "safe" job with the movie and that's it. I'm sure the books are quite good, but honestly the title of the books makes me cringe, and the story really isn't that unique. My ****ing girlfriend made me go see it with her on opening night and we were the only two 22 year olds in a theater packed full of loud fagotty highschoolers. God I ****in hate that girl and regret that night.

OT: Hunger Games = Battle Royale + shit acting and camerawork and a shit love story thrown in.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
i saw it with my girlfriend, she read the novels and i didnt. she let me in on a lot of stuff that wasnt discussed in the film. personally, i thought the story was fascinating. for people to dematerialize the well beings of other people, to create this separation between wealthy and non wealthy. it was almost like burning jewish people. theyre humans but youve been brainwashed to the point where it doesnt offend you anymore. i just couldnt get over that. what they were doing was sick. the main character, forgot her name, was just so confused about what was going on. she couldnt grasp what was actually happening verses what she was personally going thru. her survival was based on the opposite of what you would expect.
the movie itself was 8/10. it was good, but it lacked some editing. a scene where she pulled back the arrow twice. singing to her sister i think she went downstairs while she was still talking. little things. but i enjoyed the idea more than what was being shown to me.

edit: shit love story? she didnt love that guy. she liked the dude back home. but realized she had to act like it in order to survive. the movie didnt portray him very well, i wasnt convinced the partner dude actually loved her, but hes a guy lol, its not supposed to be dramatic. but it didnt go into their past. it didnt give any background info at all. it didnt connect many ideas.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by BlitzkriegAir

Definitely referred to in this also, but not an actual confirmation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri6wRz_NjiA

Never heard of the books before but when I saw the trailer I thought they were remaking this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEI5ccR6JtA
This is more of a comedy though, albeit a dark one.
I've seen Battle Royale... do I have any reason to see "Hunger Games"?
Last edited by -Mantra- at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Yeah, my parents got me the book the year it came out and it was pretty good.
It's a western version of Battle Royal with a sort of Twilight sub plot.

how can that be! I didn't see any sparkling vampires/pixies?
Quote by BlitzkriegAir

Yeah, and the writer keeps claiming that it's all her idea and she has never heard of Battle Royal.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
After reading this thread I'm definitely going to check out Battle Royal; first the book then the movie.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
*Spoiler warning*

I like the general idea of the plotline, but I thought it could have been made a lot more interesting than it was. The way they didn't depict or explain how the one large alliance formed at the beginning seemed to me to be a bit of a cop out. It didn't seem organic to me because there would be continual mistrust between them, they know that only one of them will ultimately survive, yet they're still being jovial and having a good time and working closely with one another and sleeping together.

I was also hoping they'd explore more psychologically complex themes but it turned out instead they chose to focus on a relatively shallow love story developing between the two protagonists which again seemed forced and not really believable. The medicine for her burnt leg and his stabbed leg were both bad cop outs too.
The people who are criticizing the lovestory need to watch the movie again. The "love" is explicitly identified as Katniss trying to survive by giving the crowds a good show. Actually, that was one of my favourite parts of the plot. It's even more explicit in the book, where we see things from Katniss' perspective.