Well, after much deliberating, waiting, purchasing, more waiting, spending of money, I decided on a Jet City JCA20h all-tube head. It came in a few days ago, but I've been unable to do a full review because today was the first day I actually managed to take it to my bands rehearsal place and plug it in. I ordered it from Musician's Friend, paid ~$217 (used, like new condition) because they apparently will not ship to Canada new. It's kinda nice knowing you have an amp not many people in the area do though :P

Anyways, here she is:

6 controls, standby, and on off switches. Simple. This amp is really quite amazing - an upgrade from what I was playing before, to say the least. The cleans are quite rich, though I didnt do a whole lot playing around with those - they arent the sparkling pristine Fender kind, but I like my clean tone to have just a LITTLE dirt, so it works. It is single channel, so even when I have it dimed, it cleans up fairly nicely with the guitar volume knob.

When you roll up the pre-amp knob, the amp really starts to shine. Vintage Marshall tones are possible fairly easily, with the amp moving into a more modern voiced hard rock/metal gain territory when its fully cranked. It's running 2 12AX7's, and 2EL84s, so that kind of voicing isnt unsurprising. It ISNT a $2000 Soldano, but its 1/10 the price is certainly justified and a lot of bang for the buck if you dont mind the fact that its a single channel - I certainly dont. No effects loop might be a turnoff for some, but I was running my EHX #1 Echo straight in and it sounded just fine... its about the only pedal I use though, which may have had something to do with it. I do love it though, I was on a budget - it blows away my old (as seen in the picture below) Marshall Valvestate 8040 - just clean out of the water. The sound is so much richer, and warmer, and fuller and just all around better. I'd DEFINITELY get another one of these - I'd ideally like to run two actually, because of the single channel - and adding an effects loop might be a down the road mod but I dont think its needed right now.

Teh rig:

(I apologize for the less than stellar quality of this picture)

In the picture, you can see the Jet City on top, the old marshall (now just a way heavier than necessary 1x12 cab) with a Celestion Vintage 30 thats been rewired for the Jet City. Sitting on top of the amp is a Korg Pitchblack tuner pedal - very very useful, and I've had no issues with it. Cost me about $65, one of the better investments I've made. Accurate tuning, sturdily built, and a very brightly lit display - tuning on stage will never be a problem! I also like that it can power other pedals (a feature I've yet to try) because I'm waiting on a daisy chain to come in, but it's a nice feature to have and should save me a couple dollars down the road.

We also ordered some no name brand Shure SM57 look-a-like mics, I think theyre called Gear One Digital Reference DRI100's. Surprisingly good (they were 3 for 50 bucks on Musician's Friend, hard to go wrong when theyre that cheap) - you can see it in the picture, its the mic on the mic stand there. It actually picks up the sound of the amp very, very well (and I mean the sound coming out of the PA is almost the same as the sound coming out of the amp speaker) when being run into our Yorkville PA. I'd recommend them - especially if theyre still on at that price, im no recording guru, but for that price, on a budget, thats hard to beat.

the mic! (1 of 3)

Now I hope thats an in-depth review, justifiable of this thread. I'll try and get some sound clips next time my band jams, but that may or may not be possible depending on the practice :/
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Last edited by ma_tt11 at Mar 25, 2012,
I'm going to need a few mics myself before long. I've lost quite a few and don't have enough once I start gigging again. I'll keep those in mind.

And HNAD. Nice choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'm going to need a few mics myself before long. I've lost quite a few and don't have enough once I start gigging again. I'll keep those in mind.

And HNAD. Nice choice.

Now, this isnt me, and it isnt my amp - but this is an idea of what you'd be looking at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4SmM61km44

It's a shootout between the mics we ordered in and the SM57. With the right placement at the speaker, there isnt a huge difference in what you get out of it -and I got 3 of them for half the price of one SM57. Very happily satisfied with what I heard at practice today.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
I'm going to need vocals mikes more tbh, but thanks. That will still give me a decent idea about their mikes in general. The only real difference between a 57 and a 58 is the headshell anyway. It's not unusual in a group of 57's and 58's to find a 57 that sounds best with vocals and vice versa. The singer I worked with for many many years' favourite vocals mike was an old SM57 - and we had several 58's for him to choose from. And he was right, that particular 57 did sound the best.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification