Page 1 of 2
Thought it'd be fun for everyone to share their favourite gear (not guitar/ bass) they have.

So just say what it is, and tell us why it's so good.

For me, it'd be my amp, (Marshall Vintage Modern) or my JMI Tone Bender. I'm a big fan of both Slash (early GnR) and Jimmy Page so the amp gets me Slash's tone dead on and the Tone Bender gets me Page's tone. I don't think I'm gunna ever have to upgrade the amp. It's only a single channel but it has two "dynamic ranges". A low, which is essentially a Plexi and a high, which is closer to a JCM800 but a lot fuller and less harsh. Unfortunately there's quite a volume difference between the two, but I only use the low dynamic range with a clean boost to get a higher gain if I need it. Most I ever use is a crunch tone anyway.

The Tone Bender is awesome. It's an exact copy of what Page used on the first Zeppelin album. Responds really nicely to the volume of your guitar, cleaning up really well if you roll down the volume. My only complaint would be that it can only run on a 9 volt battery...

If this is against the rules, or there is already a thread, then let me know and I'll close this one.
My Gibson les Paul classic custom in cream. That guitar is my heart and soul. All the goodness of a les paul but slightly brighter giving a bit more clarity because of the baked maple fingerboard.
Plus I'm a huge randy rhoads fan, he's probably my second favorite guitarist after John frusciante so it's pretty fitting in terms of colour
My Carvin MTS amp. It's simple, but has a great clean channel and an awesome modded JCM800 type tone. It's also dirt cheap - $600 new, and you can get those used for around $400. The only problem I have with it is that it doesn't have a master volume control, but an attenuator can solve that.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Favorite Amp: Diezel Hagen (new amp on the way that might depose this one though)
Favorite Pedal (tonight at least): Castledine MkOne Bender

Favorite overall is probably the Hagen. Lubz that amp.

EDIT: And if you like the JMI, you need to try a D*A*M/Sola or Castledine MKII. Makes the JMI look like a toy.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by mmolteratx
Favorite Amp: Diezel Hagen (new amp on the way that might depose this one though)
Favorite Pedal (tonight at least): Castledine MkOne Bender

Favorite overall is probably the Hagen. Lubz that amp.

EDIT: And if you like the JMI, you need to try a D*A*M/Sola or Castledine MKII. Makes the JMI look like a toy.

I would love a DAM or Sola but they're pretty rare and expensive. The Tone Bender isn't a cheap copy, it's an identical replica. The Tone Bender suits me really well. But it is a shame it doesn't have a mains power supply.
The Castledine I have was 220 pounds I think? I actually like it a bit better than my D*A*M/Sola which cost me significantly more. Castledine is the man for Tone Bender replicas, IME.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

My white Gibson Les Paul Studio or my CSB Gibson Les Paul Standard. They're both fantastic guitars. I lean toward the Studio because it has an ebony fretboard and I've always been partial to them.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I've never tried one to be honest. Or even heard of them for that matter. With my Telecaster, the Marshall and the Tone Bender, I can get Led Zeppelin 1 nailed and that's why I bought it, so ya know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it and all that.

Here's my Tone Bender, it's a MkII btw

That would have to be my 60W Abbey amp I think. You guys don't know what you are missing out on. Three channels of awesome.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Here are mine. Too lazy to get guts of the MKI. The enclosure is a PITA to open and close. So I'll post Stu's pic. This particular one is #5/5 in the original style enclosures.

I freaking love Tone Benders. Way better than pretty much any other fuzz from that era. The MKI is my favorite. Really cool fuzz.

DSC_0001 by mmolteratx, on Flickr

D*A*M/Sola MKII (OC84)

DSC_0004 by mmolteratx, on Flickr

Castledine MKII (OC81DM)

DSC_0003 by mmolteratx, on Flickr

Castledine MkOne Bender (Mine's on the left, his '65 original on the right) (OC75)

Quote by Cathbard
That would have to be my 60W Abbey amp I think. You guys don't know what you are missing out on. Three channels of awesome.

4 channels iz better than 3, old man.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by greeny23

Dammit I want that thing. Usually hate colored maple tops but that just looks so right.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Dammit I want that thing. Usually hate colored maple tops but that just looks so right.

PRS just know how to do cool things.

this will be buried with me. 19th birthday present.
mojostompboxes.com
Probably my 1973 gibson SG standard.

there's loads of little things that aren't quite right about it, all of which can be easily fixed and i plan to get this done asap.

but even with all the problems it's still a superb guitar with an immeasurable amount of mojo. it has the thickest, ballsiest tone ever, too. I've played a lot of guitars and never found anything that comes close to matching it in that respect.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by mmolteratx

4 channels iz better than 3, old man.

3 is more than enough, especially when they are as good as this.
I could live with two the way I run it. The first two are the same except that 2 has a Master volume but I also have a programmable MV in my loop. The third channel has an extra 12AX7 in series which thickens and compresses it like a Mesa. I can't do that (as well) with the rack effects so it's worth having but I don't even need the second channel really, it's just handy.
With the rack units I really have 128 channels really, truth be told.

Edit. Actually my favourite piece of gear would have to be my rack actually I guess. Everything is locked together and interconnected. I treat it as one unit. Or is that cheating?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 25, 2012,
Probably my crybaby (which I admit I tend to overuse) or my Peavey Classic 30.
My Novax CH8, however I feel the need for a nine-string guitar now.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Fav amp: Egnater Rebel 20. It was made for me

Fav guitar: My old Madeira lp jr. It's as old as me so it was def made for me
I really like my drum kit. So much fun to play!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
My Pick. I can do anything with it, strum, pluck, scrape, wait you said gear LOL sorry

Favorite Gear would be my Carvin V3m amp, versatile, it'll do just about any type music, I also Love the ZZ Top tone it nails, It also can satisfy me when I feel like pounding out some Zakk Wylde Black Label Society stuff.
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

This was purchased new by my Grandfather in 1974 in Redding, CA. He used it to amplify a guitar, and a Fiddle, and used it as a PA. He passed away in 1998. Dad brought it out to me in Georgia on the floor of a Motorhome in 2002, and I've used it ever since. Definately, my favorite piece of equipment...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
hmmm this is a tough one. id have to say its a combo favorite with my blue voodoo and boss gt10. i use the 4cm so i can split the fx to the fx loop and the front of the amp and still use the bv pre and power amp sections. the gt10 also has a parametric eq that tames the fizzyness of the BV. love this setup.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
My Ibanez Apex 2 with the Bareknuckle pickups - I bloody love it, set up to perfection with power slinkys. It's not even a massively expensive guitar - it just does the job very nicely.

right now its my 1960's univox superfuzz. or any of my sunn amps

using the superfuzz on the mid cut setting, awesome smashing pumpkins-esque tone, and i have my doombox or big muff for regular fuzziness/non mid cut (big muff is modded with tone bypass and flat mids when the tone is engaged)

got a concert lead (72'), beta bass, and using my friend's 69' solarus, all thru a huge ampeg v2 cab. what can i say? im a bit obsessed with sunn amps
Last edited by SGRocker400 at Mar 25, 2012,
My Diezel VH4
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Probably my Marshall JMP 2203(or 2204, can't remember those numbers, but it's the one with 50w) or my Gibson Explorer.

The Marshall gives me the almost all the sounds I like to hear, sometimes it may seem a little bright but that could be because of the speakers.

The Explorer is just awesome. Everything I play on that guitar just seem right to me.
Amp: Wizard Modern Classic, cost me a bunch but to me worth every single cent so much awesome.
Pedal: Paul C Timmy, covers so much ground from clean boost to actually a pretty heavy od.
Guitar: Modded Lite Ash Tele,

Overall: Wizard easy
It's a 135 watt job with 2 tubes yanked playing through a 15" JBL G135-8 speaker in a remote cabinet. Since someone turned me on to a little tube preamp, I love the thing. I'd marry it but I think that's still a felony here in TN.

Chargrill3d: That's just one great looking guitar, graceful, clean and simple. Great photo, too.

Last edited by woad_yurt at Mar 25, 2012,
At the moment I'd have to say my favorite is my Line 6 DL4. So versatile and so much fun to mess around with.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
My Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic head (my favorite cleans EVER and gorgeous overdrive) and my Catalinbread Ottava Magus (awesome for both rhythm and lead).

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
My Splawn Quick Rod and my Ibanez Universe!
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
My Flying V standard.

Kirk Hammett's Flying V standard was the first guitar i ever had GAS for when i was 7 years old. It just looked so cool to me; it was like a guitar that Darth Vader would have used or something. But then i forgot about the V for a while.

But then i saved up enough money for a good guitar over a period of a few years to afford one. I had a V in the back of my mind as my next guitar; i wanted somthing like an Ibanez Prestige or even the EVH Wolfgang (which is still a guitar i really, really would like to own), but then i saw a brand new V on the wall and the memories of Kirk Hammett's V came flooding back.

I plugged it into an Orange Rockerverb head and it sounded and played just as good as i imagined it would. Flawlessly built, neck profile could not be more perfect for my hands and its such a fast playing guitar it outblew all the Prestige's i tried. And it was a FAR better sounding guitar.

Bought it, fulfilled a little childhood dream of mine and the guitar is even better than i imagined. Couldn't ask for more.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 25, 2012,
Probably my ASAT. The neck feels great, it has a nice weight, and it sounds just like a regular Tele, but with balls.
My joyo vintage overdrive. Was cheap as chips, and it a blatant copy but it just does something sweet to my tone.
Page 1 of 2