Hi there.

So I was having discussion with my band mate about his brother. He wants him to pick up a guitar.But he answered that its too late(he`s 18) and theres no point for picking up an instrument, apart from personal pleasure.

So my question is, which famous artists picked up their instruments at that age(18) and became not only succesful but good at their craft!

Thanks.
what really matter is whether the brother wants to the learn the instrument badly... ?
Good question. Not really sure of who fits the criteria though for the answer?

I didn't start playing guitar till I was 26, big mistake! Wish I'd learnt guitar when I was about 8 as I would of been awesome by now!
Burny LG75-GR
Epi SG Pro 1966 Ltd Ed
PRS Angelus SE Custom

Korg Pandora effect unit (for practising)
Slash CryBaby
Blackstar HT-5
Korg RC2 Looooooper
I call complete bullshit. Anyone can learn an instrument 18 is not too old whoever thinks that is really closed-minded.

I know people that started playing at 40.
Yeah, it's never too late really. It's really just an excuse and I'd assume he just doesn't feel very inclined to start playing guitar.
REGGIE
Quote by Elderer
Hi there.

So I was having discussion with my band mate about his brother. He wants him to pick up a guitar.But he answered that its too late(he`s 18) and theres no point for picking up an instrument, apart from personal pleasure.

So my question is, which famous artists picked up their instruments at that age(18) and became not only succesful but good at their craft!

Thanks.

Pretty stupid thing to say, everyone plays for pleasure. In other worlds he wants to play to be famous. It only takes year to be pretty good if you use your time well. I'm better than people the have played twice as long as me. The first year is where most of the growth is (almost all in my case and I started the day after I turned 17).

Jeff Hanneman hadn't been playing very long when he joined Slayer aged 17. I think Kerry King had like 4-5 years on him.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Mar 25, 2012,
Wes Montgomery started at 18.
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Never too late. I started when I was 15 but I've played with people who started a lot later. I've even taught my dad a few chords etc. If you want to play and you know you'll enjoy it then why would a simple thing such as age hinder you
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Kamelots' guitarist started playing at 17 and he's a great player, personally "It's too late for me" is just an excuse, I started doing music when 16, in 3 years I am playing bass/acoustic/electric guitar, drums, sing and learning to play piano, not to mention I can improvise and write material quite well.
Wish I'd learnt guitar when I was about 8 as I would of been awesome by now!
Never late. Tom Morello was over 20 when he started and he's got really tight chops.

If anything, older people can be better at organizing their practice time, and be more capable of getting good gear.
In case I'm mistaken, Noodles and Dexter from the Offspring started playing when they were 18 I think, took them a while to make it but they did.
Your friend is an asshole and probably shouldn't bother starting to play an instrument if that's his motivation.
I'm an asshole.
I didn't start playing until I was 25. That was 7 years ago.

7 years has been more than enough time for me to become a competent guitarist, jam with a bunch of people, and create some original material.

It's fun, plain and simple, no matter what else you might get out of it.

Quote by senfarm
I am 26, I will not guitar, but I like also very much like to learn

Sigged your banned ass.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Mar 30, 2012,
Quote by senfarm
I am 26, I will not guitar, but I like also very much like to learn.

o.O? You don't play guitar? Funny how this is called Ultimate GUITAR forum.