Greetings,

I've just begun recording some tracks using a Peavey i100 microphone (dynamic mic) with a TrackLink USB cable, into Audacity. I'm at the stage where I'm just trying to achieve the best possible sound; I'm not really working on the tracks themselves so much quite yet.

Anyway, I'm pretty new to recording, and there are a few questions (and I'm sure there will be more to follow...).

The biggest problem I'm having is that in Audacity, I'm not able to listen to a track while I record a new one over the top of it. In order to listen to a track, I have to unplug the microphone, otherwise, there is no sound going through my headphones. It's my understanding that to get a fuller sound, you want to stack tracks (not by simply copying the same track twice, but with a new, slightly different track). Also, it's pretty tough to record a solo or lead part when I can't play along to the original track. I've figured out how to shift tracks to line them up, but it's very tough to get it exactly where it needs to be.

There must be a way to fix this issue -- I think I'll leave it at that question for now. Thanks for any input!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Right it is possible to listen to your track without copying the track. Are you running Windows Vista/7?

Also, don't use Audacity. Use Reaper, it's free and it's better than Audacity.

If you're using an interface, change the "speaker" drop-down menu to your interface, if not, plug your headphones into your computer and set the "speaker" to your computer.
Quote by AJScott
Right it is possible to listen to your track without copying the track. Are you running Windows Vista/7?

Also, don't use Audacity. Use Reaper, it's free and it's better than Audacity.

I'm running Windows XP. I might just download Reaper if it's free and better. No sense in learning an inferior system. Just out of curiousity, what makes Reaper better?

Also, will I be able to download any drum patches or anything like that? I'd like to be able to eventually add some drums/bass to my tracks, even if they're just electronically generated.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by mjones1992

If you're using an interface, change the "speaker" drop-down menu to your interface, if not, plug your headphones into your computer and set the "speaker" to your computer.

There is nothing to "drop-down." When I click on the speaker icon, nothing happens.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood