Hey guys,
I've been playing for about a year, the first 6 months I used typical standard tuning learning about chords and whatnot. Since I stopped having lesson, I played the music I wanted to, nearly all of it requires tuning my guitar down. My most comfortable tuning being drop c, or #. When I tune up to standard, I can't play, it just feels unnatural now. I looked for some songs to play, metal ones, but every forum is just the same stuff, learn some metallica, iron maiden, megadeth etc etc. I only listen to newer stuff really, no classic rock or old school stuff. So has anyone got any tips, or songs to help me get used to standard tuning again?
If you don't like playing in standard tuning, then don't play in standard tuning.

Whatever floats your boat.
learn some metallica, iron maiden, megadeath, etc etc
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
I think a lot of Opeth is in either standard or just dropped D.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Avenged Sevenfold play in drop D...thats close enough, unless you dont mean that kind of modern...
Why do you need to start playing in standard? A lot of guitarist play purely in drop tunings and its not wrong, its them.
The truth is most modern metal bands will retune or use 7string from what I see unless they play classic rock styled stuff, so either learn older stuff, less metally/rocky stuff or just be yourself and stay downtuned
there are some good Trivium songs from their Crusade album and a couple of 6 string songs off of Shogun that are good to come back to standard E 440 tuning again. Couple of Pantera songs as well. Not a lot of new heavy stuff is in standard tuning but there are some gems to find. You can also just grab some metal backing tracks off youtube and make your own material.
Trivium has some good stuff for standard and drop-D if you're into that kinda stuff. Anthem (We Are The Fire) is a SICK tune. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I know that The Crusade and Shogun were in standard (although most of Shogun was on a standard tuned 7 string, and there were a couple songs on Crusade that were on 7 as well like And Sadness Will Sear and the title track)
Quote by barden1069
I think a lot of Opeth is in either standard or just dropped D.

I think Opeth tend to be in D Standard, so not really changing much for him... :S
Quote by Trivium7
there are some good Trivium songs from their Crusade album and a couple of 6 string songs off of Shogun that are good to come back to standard E 440 tuning again. Couple of Pantera songs as well. Not a lot of new heavy stuff is in standard tuning but there are some gems to find. You can also just grab some metal backing tracks off youtube and make your own material.

A440 is standard
Well, since you're into the newer stuff, Lamb of God would be good.
Most of their songs are in Drop D.
Dream Theater
Symphony X is in D standard (take advantage of those thicker gauges)
Paul Gilbert?

wait, does OP want songs in standard or drop tunings?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Mar 25, 2012,
I don't want to be confined to only drop tunings, or knowing songs with those lower tunings. This is just to make me a more versatile guitarist really. Which I suppose is quite contradictory considering I don't wanna play Maiden stuff
just play in standard tuning if you want to get used to it...

I don't think that tuning can limit a guitarist in the way you're talking about. unless you can only do a particular open tuning, I dont think that you're really limiting yourself in any way.
Quote by Powersurge213
I think Opeth tend to be in D Standard, so not really changing much for him... :S

Nope. Primarily standard tuning; they occasionally foray into Drop D and some open tunings, but they're primarily in standard.
While Dream Theater has a lot of tuned down/7 string stuff, most of their songs are in E standard. You can spend a lifetime learning their catalogue...lol
There's some great alterbridge songs in standard, or just drop D.
Shihad have good songs in standars too.

But if you prefer drop C#, just stick with it. Check out submersed too.
Quote by griffin888
While Dream Theater has a lot of tuned down/7 string stuff, most of their songs are in E standard. You can spend a lifetime learning their catalogue...lol

They often play in C.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
They often play in C.

JP uses a few tunings, but E is the most common.
Quote by HKSR33
There's some great alterbridge songs in standard, or just drop D.

They only have like 2 songs in standard lol. Rise Today is the only one in drop D I can think of too. Tremonti uses drop tunings a ton. But if he wants to play standard, I figure learning One Day Remains could keep him busy for a while.
Really, must be me learning them in standard tuning, lol. This is what I get for learning by ear. Haha. Will look at tabs

Mechanically the only difference between playing in any drop tuning and any variation of standard tuning is the bottom string which is 2 semitones lower. That's it, that's the only thing that's potentially going to throw you. Obviously the notes will transpose but relatively speaking everything is exactly the same, the same chord shapes still work, scale patterns stay the same etc

As far as the top 5 strings are concerned playing in standard is no different to playing in drop anything - I really don't see how it's a big deal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TremontiAddict
They only have like 2 songs in standard lol. Rise Today is the only one in drop D I can think of too. Tremonti uses drop tunings a ton. But if he wants to play standard, I figure learning One Day Remains could keep him busy for a while.

Blackbird or Brand New Start are both in Eb tuning, so you can play those in standard (or half step down obviously). But yeah a lot of AB stuff is in drop tunings, or Open D/Open G
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Dillinger Escape Plan plays in Standard, if you're a technical wizard, haha. Although, some of their stuff isn't fantastically hard, it's just super fast and chaotic.
Quote by Azunaii
Blackbird or Brand New Start are both in Eb tuning, so you can play those in standard (or half step down obviously). But yeah a lot of AB stuff is in drop tunings, or Open D/Open G

Yeah, I play around with a lot of their songs in standard because I'm too lazy to tune down a half step haha. But off the top of my head, Burn It Down and One Day Remains have been the only two Alter Bridge songs recorded in standard so far. That open D5 tuning used in Open Your Eyes, Ghost Of Days Gone By, and Life Must Go On is pretty cool too, but I usually break a string trying to tune up to that lol.
Check out prog and power metal bands,
Dragonforce are in standard, Orphaned Land are in standard (have a couple of songs with 7 strings on their latest album) and whatevr u find in your music libary

Quote by steven seagull

Mechanically the only difference between playing in any drop tuning and any variation of standard tuning is the bottom string which is 2 semitones lower. That's it, that's the only thing that's potentially going to throw you. Obviously the notes will transpose but relatively speaking everything is exactly the same, the same chord shapes still work, scale patterns stay the same etc

As far as the top 5 strings are concerned playing in standard is no different to playing in drop anything - I really don't see how it's a big deal.

THANKYOU!!

I keep trying to tell people that shiz on these forums lol.
METAL!
Quote by fatedspadez
Hey guys,
I've been playing for about a year, the first 6 months I used typical standard tuning learning about chords and whatnot. Since I stopped having lesson, I played the music I wanted to, nearly all of it requires tuning my guitar down. My most comfortable tuning being drop c, or #. When I tune up to standard, I can't play, it just feels unnatural now. I looked for some songs to play, metal ones, but every forum is just the same stuff, learn some metallica, iron maiden, megadeth etc etc. I only listen to newer stuff really, no classic rock or old school stuff. So has anyone got any tips, or songs to help me get used to standard tuning again?

I hate the smiley face. It looks sooo stupid.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
do what is comfortable. sometimes even the band changes tuning live vs in studio. i have noticed that at a few different shows.

also i believe Lamb of God plays E Std/ Drop D on quite a few songs, don't remember how many, but they used to.

also keep in mind the last album i have of theirs is Sacrament.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What you play doesn't matter. It sounds like you're using the same gauge of string for both tunings. That's where your problem is. Getting lighter strings will give you the same average amount of tension as the strings you're using now in drop tuning.

Can't believe it took two pages for someone to say this.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You said you took lessons for 6 months.Just tune it standard and start playing.How bad could you suck?If it's that bad go get your money back.Got any books left?
^ Be nice!.........and that didn't make much sense to me

Quote by Dr Sixstring
I hate the smiley face. It looks sooo stupid.

Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I meant it nice!I t seems like he,s limiting himself alot.I play slide in drop d almost exclusively,but it limits me to that particular song.I meant it seriously,he said he took lessons for 6 mo,s in standard,gotta be like riding a bike.panhead201
Quote by trashedlostfdup
do what is comfortable. sometimes even the band changes tuning live vs in studio. i have noticed that at a few different shows.

also i believe Lamb of God plays E Std/ Drop D on quite a few songs, don't remember how many, but they used to.

also keep in mind the last album i have of theirs is Sacrament.

I'm pretty sure Lamb of God plays pretty much all in Drop D, although a couple of their new songs are in Drop C#
I was in one of those, "I can't play anything moods". Bit of a dumb question really, now that I look back lol. Thanks for the help though guys.
i guess you guy,s idea of a D modal tuning is different than mine,when all you are doing is dropping your low E to a D.
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Black LP Custom,lefty
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[06 Schecter C-! Classic,,lefty
[28 National resonator
[Mesa triple rec Marshall "A"cab
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[Mesa Nomad 45,4-10,s,combo
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC