I've seen some cheap deals on a few Big Muffs earlier and tempted to get one. I listen to alot of 90's rock/grunge/emo music and my guitar style/song writing is going in that direction, similar to old foo's/smashing pumpkins/american football. Anyway my questions are:
Are they any good?
Whats the difference between the PI and the Little Muff version? and
Would an Overdrive and a Big Muff work together? or
Should I just use/keep one or the other? I ask this because I use my overdrive to boost my Rocker 30 and I usually leave it on all the time to give it more gain.

Any info is appreciated!
Thanks

Oh and I'm buying used

Another question, What power supply does it use? Would I be able to use a Daisy chain? Thanks

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Last edited by blything09 at Mar 25, 2012,
I honestly hated the muff because it got waaaay too dark with other drives and on it's own it didn't have enough gain to it. It's good for vintage sounds, but it didn't work at all for what I wanted. Try it and see for yourself.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
If you're like me and like a good fuzz, but only on occasion, the big muff is great.
Quote by jjbarnes
I honestly hated the muff because it got waaaay too dark with other drives and on it's own it didn't have enough gain to it. It's good for vintage sounds, but it didn't work at all for what I wanted. Try it and see for yourself.

Right okay, I'll probably watch some videos on youtube and see for myself as my I don't think my city has any guitar stores with them in stock, thanks for the info!

Quote by lucky1978
If you're like me and like a good fuzz, but only on occasion, the big muff is great.

That's cool, in my song writing I'll probably only use it on occasion anyway and to play some covers, thanks!

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Obviously, you should try it out for yourself first and see if you like it, but I think it's a great pedal.

You can use and overdrive with the muff but it might take a while to dial in a good tone for you.

The regular Big Muff is a little louder, a little noisier, and has a little more low end than the Little Big Muff. The Little Big Muff is smaller, sturdier, true bypass, and has a Boss style AC Adapter. other than that they are the same.
I prefer a good Russian Muff to the American version. If that helps you any...
Gretsch 5120
Fender Jazzmaster
MIM Fender Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Misc Pedals
Quote by stratomaster123
I prefer a good Russian Muff to the American version. If that helps you any...

Eh...Depends. The newer small box Russian Muff kinda sucks and they're selling used for more than new NYC Muffs.

The Sovtek and the Big Box Russian Muff are both great though.
I've got the Little Big Muff and I'm probably going to sell it even though it's great - this might sound like a contradiction but I want to get a more versatile fuzz - probably a Fuzz Factory or Musket Fuzz. Its does sound super though and extremely good value indeed.

Checkout this pumpkins demo with the Musket Fuzz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oxQmz-lqWM
Quote by Chargrill3d
I've got the Little Big Muff and I'm probably going to sell it even though it's great - this might sound like a contradiction but I want to get a more versatile fuzz - probably a Fuzz Factory or Musket Fuzz. Its does sound super though and extremely good value indeed.

Checkout this pumpkins demo with the Musket Fuzz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oxQmz-lqWM

Never heard the Musket Fuzz before, but it sounds good.
Although I fid the fuzz factory not that great for its price. It has a lot of controls, but lots of combinations are just shitty. For me its too harsh, too bright. Big muff has this dark, overwhelming at times, sound. But the fuzz facory is just "meh" . Its good for muse, but on the other hand I hate muze's guitar sound.
If you layer a big muff and record a couple of tracks of a riff you can get a wicked dark sound. According to the video review the Musket Fuzz is effectively like having a whole bunch of different versions of the Muff in one box. I really want to be able to create the same sound the Muff does and expand on it
The Musket does sound amazing but I'm from the UK and its out of my budget anyway. The reason I started this thread is that I saw a Big Muff PI and a Little Big Muff both for sale on Gumtree for £35 and wondered whether they're worth picking up, I guess I'll have to try both out to see if I like them or not...Thanks for the help anyway!

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
yeah get one, i got a little big muff a couple of months ago and its great would definetly recomend it
my gear:

italia maranello speedster 1

vox ac4

yamaha delay

electro harmonix little big muff

freshman apollo electro acoustic

dunlop cry baby wah

epiphone acoustic
Bear in mind that the normal Big Muff is an oversized pedal - it's massive. Definately go for the Little Big Muff because it's exactly the same thing housed in a normal sized housing.
Quote by Lespauljames
hit up badgerific, I got a aweseome modded muff off him in trade, or he could make you one up for a awesome price. save a bit of munneh and have somethign unique and tailerd for you?

Cheers for the recommendation

TS:
I'd say you should give the muff a go but don't get rid of your OD pedal because they're different beasts.

The little big muff I have found to be a bit thinner sounding compared to the big box NYC and black russians I've had, and all the clones I've built but it's not a bad pedal by any means. The smaller footprint is definitely a bonus.

If you fancy I can build you up any variant of the muff you fancy in a case smaller than the little big muff with a standard boss style DC adaptor so you can daisy chain it for not a great deal more than a used EHX one Drop me a PM if you're interested.
The hitch with fuzz pedals is its such an original type of distortion that if you're not willing to put some money into them, you might become blindsided by disappointment. I recently picked up The Flickinger Angry Sparrow. I saw it on pro guitar shop, It kills. For a risky $200 plus shipping and tax, it is sooo versatile. I can range this from Can't You Hear Me Knockin' by The Stones, to Sirens by The Pack A.D. I love this pedal, to the question, I'd say no. Save up some cash Pick up this beauty or look into further companies that support fuzz.
there are tons of big muffs...even more now since i got rid of mine. I had a black russian big muff and I never liked it. Not enough mids and not enough low end...at lease through my amp. It just sounded really weak and trebley. That's the only one i've ever played.

I have heard that if you are willing to spend more money on older versions of the big muffs (russian and american) you'll get a really really nice pedal. There are tons of clones and modded versions available too. I would do some research.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by Chargrill3d
Bear in mind that the normal Big Muff is an oversized pedal - it's massive. Definately go for the Little Big Muff because it's exactly the same thing housed in a normal sized housing.

They are very similar, but they're not exactly the same. I sold my Little Big Muff because I didn't like it compared to a real Big Muff.
Go check the Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi, I strongly recommend it, lots of usable tones.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans