I know you guys have more experience singing and playing than the gear forum does, so I need some ideas on strings. I have an old Harmony and my voice is low and raspy. I'll be doing more harmonizing than lead singing, but I was wondering what would be a good set to throw on my old bird for jammalammas.

Ty in advance
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Strings are very personal so you will get as many responses as there are opinions.

However, a good set of phosphor-bronze strings will give you the sound you want. All the major companies produce them. I like D'Addrio medium (though they'll tear you up a bit at first), Martin SP medium-light (good for bending), and Elixir polywebs (kind to your fingers and long-lasting).

Good luck.
I will try the Martins first. Hopefully they can stand up to my buddies Ovation

I've always preferred having really broken in strings on my acoustics, but maybe that's because I play a lot of electric. Thanks anyways
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Last edited by bastards at Mar 25, 2012,
I just put a new pair of DR Sunbeams on my guitar for the first time and am happy with them so far. I had used DR Rares once and liked them so I figured I'd try the sunbeams. I'm a relatively new player though, and am going through the process of buying different strings each time I restring to get a feel for what's out there. Sunbeams are my favs thus far though.
I think I have tried every brand under the sun and I find little or no difference between the brands, provided they are of the same guage and metallurgical makeup. I also can hear a difference between coated and uncoated strings. To my ears the coated strings lack brightness and tiny bit of sustain.

Some people like them because they feel a little smoother when sliding your fingers along them, they also work well for people that have corrosion issues with plain strings. Some string companies make claims that they hold their new tone longer and less prone to breakage, but I'm highly skeptical. The biggest factor for strings going dull in tone is due to the eventual stretch they undergo from tension. String breakage is usually caused by metal fatigue and wear inclusions caused by the frets. Unless the coating were made with something harder than the metal they were coating, then it would do little to alleviate those two factors.

You will probaly end up like most of us, trying various kinds until you find what best suits your tone needs.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Last edited by BlackbirdPie at Mar 26, 2012,
Quote by bastards
I know you guys have more experience singing and playing than the gear forum does, so I need some ideas on strings. I have an old Harmony and my voice is low and raspy. I'll be doing more harmonizing than lead singing, but I was wondering what would be a good set to throw on my old bird for jammalammas.

Ty in advance
Well, if and when you're going to be singing and playing by yourself, the best improvement you could make, (if you haven't already done so), is to tune down your guitar to D to D in standard tuning, in lieu the E to E. You could maintain the tuning for playing with others, by slapping a capo on the 2nd fret.

Phosphor Bronze strings are generally rich and mellow as compared to "bell brass" sets, (80/20), which have a "sting" to them, judging by your OP, you probably wouldn't like.

As the gauge of string sets goes up, (as in heavier), they generally present more bass.

So, as food for thought, I'm going to suggest; 1. drop tuning D to D, 2. phosphor bronze strings, minimum gauge, "acoustic light", (.012 to .053), and possibly an "acoustic medium" set, (.013 to .056).

As for brand, many of us here use D'Addario "EXP", (extended play, coated strings).

Although, if you want that "past their prime sound", you'll have to wait a fair amount longer than a standard non-coated string set, to get it.

Another brand, (I've not used them though), I've seen recommended here is, "DR Rares". These are supposed to be even a bit more forward in the bottom than normal PB sets, and they're the kind of thing you have try once, to see if they suit you.

If you go with the D'Addarios, "EXP-16" would be "acoustic light", and "EXP-17" would be acoustic medium. Not sure about the DR part numbers.