my stupid little brother uninstalled windows 8 on an original windows 7 it seems is if windows 7 was deleted and all the programs and files where moves to windows.old folder.
the computer came with windows 7 installed already and i dont have any key/disk/usb drive with the original windows 7 is it possible to restore to windows 7(original, not pirated)?
Ask Jeeves.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
If you have any disk of the same version of windows 7 you have a key for it will work. I did this when I accidentally wiped my copy on my laptop and had no disk because it came pre-installed. I used my dads Win 7 CD because it was the same version as long as you have the key for it (not the one that's with the CD, but the one that's tied to YOUR MOTHERBOARD). Even if you pirate the same version, it's the same thing or borrow a cd from a friend you know, you wouldn't have to use the key crack if you have a key already. If you don't, DON'T PIRATE IT!!
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
I'm assuming it is a pre-built machine, like a Dell or something?

If the machine is still under warranty, call up the manufacturer and ask for support. Tell them what happened and ask for an install disc and driver discs. Thy will mail them to you and you will be up and running in a bit.

If the machine is not covered under warranty, then you will have to by a new version of Windows and install that. Find out the specific model number of your machine, and then download the drivers for that hardware from the manufacturer website.

Once that is all done, image the drive and back it up to an external hard drive. You can do this from Windows System Restore. If you did this already or have a recovery disc, you can just install from that .iso
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Don't most Windows installations create a restore point before they install. I just backed up and formatted my 2 laptop hard drives then reinstalled W7 from a disc, and both times there was a "creating system restore point" screen before anything else.
Quote by Woffelz
There's a Windows 8?!

An open BETA. You can download it from microsoft.

the retail version isn't coming out until Q4 I think.

Windows 8 replaces your current Windows install, so don't use it on a production machine unless you back EVERYTHING up first - basically to opposite of what the TS did
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Get a Mac.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Don't most Windows installations create a restore point before they install. I just backed up and formatted my 2 laptop hard drives then reinstalled W7 from a disc, and both times there was a "creating system restore point" screen before anything else.

They do, but from that the OP said it seems that Windows 8 beta was installed over it and then uninstalled (?) . You can't restore anything once the OS has been nuked like that.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard

It's a sign TS.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
i dont realy care.. its not my computer, he'll deal with it, just trying to solve the problem.
where can i find the cd key of the computer that windows 7 was installed on(on windows 8)
On laptops it's on the bottom, on desktops it's usually on the side. Just look for the manufacturers sticker (will say Microsoft and whatever brand the computer is) and have a few barcodes. On there is the "product key", just a long stream of letters and numbers in groups of 4 seperated by -
Quote by muffinduck01

It's a sign TS.

This. Ubuntu FTW!
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by ErikLensherr
Get a Mac.

Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster

aaand sig'd.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
I stand by it.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
ring Microsoft, they'll give you a free key. just make up some bullshit about how you lost your cd then accidentally installed windows 8 over it.

also say either they give you a key, or you'll use Linux. or even googles OS.
Last edited by Marshmelllow at Mar 26, 2012,