Hi everyone, its been a while since I last posted here.
Anyway, I am trying to dial in early QOTSA/Kyuss tone, but I dont seem to make it right.
I have a JCM 900 with 1960A cab and a DS-1 (which I dont use for that purpose, I find it too bright and harsh). Right now my EQ looks like this (from 1 to 10):
Bass : 4
Mids : all up
Treble : 2
Gain, and preamp all up.
But the thing is, while the power chords do sound qotsa alike, higher strings are just too trebly. Is there a cheap pedal, or amp, that could help me out getting that kind of tone ?
The tone that I am looking for, is (for instance) the one on "you cant quit me baby".
I know josh used an Ampeg VT-40, but this is way out my price range ( they ask ridiculous money for this amp ).
Would the big muff help out ? From what I've heard, it is kinda QOTSA alike.
If anyone's interested, I can send him a bit of recording ( done with camera, so sound isnt captured that well, but it is hearable), which kind of represents the tone that I have now.
Thanks in advance.
+1 for neck humbucker, tone all the way down for Kyuss.

I really like my Fulltone Ultimate Octave for getting a good QOTSA tone.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
But still, it is too trebly. I guess I need to get that big muff, fulltone ultimate octave is out of my budget .
@ barden, you've got any samples of that tone ?
Have you tried adjusting pickup height? It could get rid of unwanted treble.

What kind of guitar / pickups do you have anyway?
Quote by -Rodion-
Have you tried adjusting pickup height? It could get rid of unwanted treble.

What kind of guitar / pickups do you have anyway?

Actually, I haven't thought of that. Yeah, I'll give it a try.
Guitars, well:
Jem7 with evos, rg550 with some kind of dimarzio/ibz, fender stratocaster MIJ with some custom shop pickups, Schecter hellraiser with EMG 81/89, and ibanez FGM-200 but really moded, with piezo and emg 89/85 pickups.
Actually, the closest I can get is with the FGM-200 playing at piezo. I guess pickups arent that much of an issue here
btw, rodion, I've sent you a pm .
Last edited by r4ster at Mar 25, 2012,
Run a bass cab under your 4x12 and tune down a little.
Learn to EQ your amp better.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Learn to EQ your amp better.

I can't find enough words, to express how helpful that was.
Perhaps, you should clarify a little bit ?
Well, for starters you have mids all the way up.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Well, for starters you have mids all the way up.

Well, I find QOTSA, has really midrange sound, therefore I did it that way, and I don't find the "mids all up" sound that bad.
Try a little chorus to fatten it up a bit too. Work octaves.
Quote by r4ster
Well, I find QOTSA, has really midrange sound, therefore I did it that way, and I don't find the "mids all up" sound that bad.

There are ways to get a nice midrange tone without cranking it...it's probably why you're getting such a trebley sound.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by r4ster
Marshall tonestacks tend to push the high midrange pretty hard if you push the mids, so that might be where some of the added treble is coming from.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
I've never played with that particular amp, but have you tried boosting the base a bit? I have a distortion pedal with 3 band eq and the bass actually contributes to the midrange honk I can get out of it; dropping the bass entirely yields a tinny sound no matter where the mids are.
Cheap pedal for QOTSA sound would be Joyo Ultimate Octave, a clone of the Fulltone's pedal that Home's uses . I'm also saving money so I get the Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi. Look for both on youtube then try them and see if you like'm .

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by r4ster
But still, it is too trebly. I guess I need to get that big muff, fulltone ultimate octave is out of my budget .
@ barden, you've got any samples of that tone ?

Sadly I haven't really recorded it, but this video does a pretty good job at capturing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGnZGsuCRQ0

I feel like your guitars aren't really suited for this kind of music, either... Josh seems to prefer dark sounding guitars with low-output humbuckers, I believe. Early on he used an SG in Kyuss and an Ovation Ultra GP in QOTSA before starting to use semi-hollowbody and hollowbody guitars on Lullabies to Paralyze.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
He uses hollow bodys, some Maton's actually!

You will never get exactly there but I do believe you can get close.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Sorry for ressurecting my own thread, but I am wondering, which muff to chose for qotsa/kyuss alike tone.
Bass Big Muf Pi
Big Muff Pi
Big Muff Pi with tone wicker
or, the Germanium big muff pi.
Thing is, I do really dig the big muff sound, but which one gives the most "huge in your face sound" ?
By the way, I dont really know where to post it, but It's the tone I've got right now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKBdJXXgeuY
I know its hard to judge since it was done with camera, but it just gives the idea, of what my tone is right now. (nvm the playing, I generally suck). Any advices on how to adjust this tone from where it is right now ?
Thanks in advance
The Joyo Ultimate Octave will nail it better than any Big Muff and it's cheaper... If it has to be the Big Muff then the Germanium 4 is the closer IMO.

On your video... The first thing I have to tell you is to stop strumming that hard. You need a bolder sound, maybe a little bit more fuzz and some more bass too, not sure about the tone control on your guitar, maybe reducing it a little (not all the way). If its already down then IDK, it's hard to tell, at least for me.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
You need a bass cab to get that over-the-top low mid growl. If I recall, Josh used an old Marshall (probably an old JMP from 70's) into an Ampeg bass cab, probably set the EQ in the muddiest way he could, and Super Distortion's in the neck pickup, with the tone knob probably rolled off a bit.
*chugga chugga chuggity chug chug chug*
Really depends what era you're going after, Josh has changed his sound so much over the years. Personally I'd ditch the Marshall and Ibanez if you want that early qotsa tone bad enough. I've used an orange 4x12 for years, theres a much better midrange response in those cabs. Marshall's are always pretty transparent in my experience with them, besides Marshall and Ibanez are two brands im pretty sure Josh despises. Judging by your video you want a first album type of tone. I'd say get a les paul type guitar, tune it down to C standard (very important) use an overdrive pedal with an eq pedal, gain roughly at 3 o clock maybe, tone fairly bright and then use the eq to boost the shit out of the mids, roll the treble off on that. Josh has stated he has to push the treble in some frequencies before he sticks the big amount of mids in so his tone still cuts through and doesn't get too muddy. Low level watt amps would be great to use too, they use less gain then you'd think and push their amps to get their drive sounds. A lot of their sound is in the fingers too though, in my opinion you can never 100% replicate the way someone else plays as everyone plays different, I think you'll get pretty close with these things though. I can go into more detail with pedals and what not but like other people have said it'll only get you so far, you can have all the same gear but unless you know how to configure it it could sound completely different, hope this helps buddy
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!