So, during the course of the following week I'll be getting me a new, proper, quality and metal guitar. Unfortunately, I'll be forced to play it on either Vox Pathfinder 15 or through Jamlab. I also have pretty decent speakers, however, my laptop is not very metal, with it's low processing power and therefore, high latency.
I've been eyeing low-cost amps for some time now, and since I play (yep, you guessed it!) mostly metal, Peavey Vypyr 30 looks like a decent choice. It will run me ~250 euros, probably more, and it will be a significant investment because I'm a piss-poor jobless student who lives with his mom (no, not even in the basement, I WISH I had one! Would do me good for jamming sessions!), so my first question to all you experienced folk would be - would Vypyr 15 also be a good choice for me?
I live in an apartment, so low-level volumes are a must. I'm also aware of the fact that 12" speaker will give me more power and a bit higher frequency range (maybe?), but if that means cranking up the volume to get it, then 30 is a no-go. This is to be an investment for the next couple of years till I get a job and my own place, then I might as well build a full-on Marshall stack.
So, in short, what will I gain if I take a Vypyr 30 over 15? I could get 15 for 160 euros out the door, so it's considerably cheaper, and I need every dime I can spear.
Oh yeah, and second-hand market is pretty poor here, and things run for almost as much as in the store. Even if I found something for cheap, if it broke, I wouldn't be able to replace it for a long time.
So. What do I get? The 30 or will 15 suffice? Is there by chance something better for metal at that price range? What's the meaning of life? Help much appreciated!
Last edited by Casull454 at Mar 25, 2012,
not too big of a fan of modelling amps although the vypyrs are up there in top notch and affordability for modeling amps.i wouldnt go from a vox to a vypyr though. i have a peavey bandit 112 and got it for like 300 (american). i really like it. i dont remember exactly how many watts, but its bigger than a 30 watt amp and you can get a pretty nice metal sound through it. if you want something long term, i wouldnt go that cheap. get something worth having for a while even if its gonna cost you a little more. not saying go out and get a custom mesa, but you know what i mean
Last edited by K!!LsWiTcH at Mar 25, 2012,
Well, In your position, I think you're well oriented with the peavey vypyr. you could also look for enlish/european made amps, since they should have less of their prices based on importation taxes (peavey is american as far as i know).

the main difference between the 15 and the 30 is the speaker. the 15 has a 8" speaker and the 30 has a 12" speaker. that is a significant difference. the 12" will have a more mid oriented, balanced sound, while with the 8" you will lose some lows, but still get the highs.

Also, the different speakers and wattage, will make the 30 be louder. there will be a noticeable difference, but the important thing is if that difference will make a real, usable difference. the thing is none of them will be enough powered to play with a metal band, since the metal drummers tend to hit their kits hardly, and you'll get drowned by the drums.

If you are expecting any of those little amps will do the job in any metal jam situation, well, i think they won't...

therefore i'd say either you save and get something a little bit bigger, or you cheap with the vypyr 15. also, consider selling your vox and old guitar if you can, to get some cash out of it.

hope this helps, good luck
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Line 6 Flextone (I, II, or III) used, you'll be incredibly happier, closest thing you'll ever get to the actual amps with a modeler, I can get a nice marshal,vox,5150, and a great mesa boogie rectifier. Does great cleans, crunch and distortion, and the plus version is just 1x12 but has a cab out and that is plenty loud even for a solid state, or just get the XL which is a 2x12. But my reccomendation is for the flextone, I love mine to death. Also be sure to get the full floorboard with it, opens up a world of possibilities
GUITARS:
PRS Semi-Hollow Custom SE

Amps:
Peavey Ranger 2x12 Twin Killer

Quote by MrFlibble
Quote by IronMaiden76
Meh. Looks like an SE to me.
Well, thanks for confirming you know absolutely nothing about PRS guitars.
I'm back, this time with a bit more experience under my belt.
My ma, being the saint she is, decided to give me 100 euros more, despite the fact that she already gave me cash for the guitar which I still haven't paid off in full.
So now I have SOME money to work with, that being the improvement in my sad financial situation, I went to a few stores to check out some amps.

I gotha say right off the bat that I tried Vypyr 15, and it hasn't impressed me at all. In what limited time I had to test it, it sounded pretty weak, amp models are nothing to drool at and all pretty much sound the same, with some differences in gain levels and EQ settings, and overall didn't pack any more punch then my Vox Pathfinder 15, except for, well having more gain.
I also tested out Vypyr 30, the difference was noticeable immediately, 12 incher really did the trick, it put out so much mids and lows, all the glass in sound room was vibrating. Cool stuff, expensive as hell tho.
I also ran into Laney LG 35r, having only 8" speaker, it immediately impressed me with the amount of heaviness in the sound it put out. It packed about as much meat as the fat hooker in a brothel, and being only 100 euros, it performed impressively for that price.

Overall, I kinda eliminated Vypyr 15 from my search, since it under performed and is, in my opinion, overpriced as hell. There's a solid possibility I'll just go ahead and grab Laney, since I could potentially save up for tube amp around December/early next year.

Which brings me to the next problem, as embarrassing as it is, I have never actually played a tube amp (store clerks are not too big on allowing people to test them) so I don't even know how it performs over 12" SS amps, or if it's even the right thing for me. Who knows, I might not even like it that much... which would be an awesome thing financial-wise!

So in the end, the decision's postponed for a few days, till I decide if I'll be buying an amp for short-term (~9 months) or longer... I'd really like to have a 12" driver but I'm not sinking 300 euros into something I'll be replacing in under a year. Today's trip has definitely made me think outside the box. After the weekend I'll go and check out Valveking 212 combo that I'm eyeing right now, as well as Peavey Bandit.

Quote by xCaLeBx1225
Line 6 Flextone (I, II, or III) used, you'll be incredibly happier, closest thing you'll ever get to the actual amps with a modeler, I can get a nice marshal,vox,5150, and a great mesa boogie rectifier. Does great cleans, crunch and distortion, and the plus version is just 1x12 but has a cab out and that is plenty loud even for a solid state, or just get the XL which is a 2x12. But my reccomendation is for the flextone, I love mine to death. Also be sure to get the full floorboard with it, opens up a world of possibilities

Thanks for the advice, but nobody here has flextone, new or used. Also, I don't feel comfortable putting money on a used gear.

Edit, I just found out that Laney is actually a 30 watter with a 10" speaker, no wonder it sounded more powerful than Vypyr 15. Any more suggestions for brands and models in Laney LG35R range of specs?
Last edited by Casull454 at Apr 14, 2012,