So im in need of a new amp. Being play just at home up until now but starting to get into bands and things and want something a bit better. But when it comes to amps i dont no one from anther.Any help would be great.

Budget? - £300

Genres? - Rock,Metal,Grunge, Blues. Fav artists Foo Fighters,Iron Maiden Nirvana.

New or Used? - ether

Home or Gig? - Home started jamming with few mates looking to get into bands.

Closest City? - South Coast UK

Current Gear? -
Marshall MG15
PRS Stagg
Zoom 505ii
push it the budget a little further and get a peavey windsor head and a cheap cab
Originally Posted by jazar94
Oh God, anal masturbation with a banana.
Wait...
**** YEAH! ANAL MASTURBATION WITH A BANANA!

Quote by Silent Murder
This man knows his cleaning essentials.

It'll smell nice afterwards too
with that budget for a decent amp, head and cheap cab is the best way to go...

I would say valve over ss always, so if you could save for a little bit longer you could get yourself a blackstar 20 or the such which is pretty damn loud, or get a bigger head and cab etcetc
OR get a solid state if you really dont want to wait in which case Ive heard good things about laney, I have a couple of bass amps which have been going for years and years without fault.
check out a VHT lead 20 combo. very nice sounding tube combo. plenty loud to keep pace with most drummers, and sounds very good for the money. pretty good distortion too.
im still no wiser as to what to get i nothing about amps wat so ever lol.Im liking that Fender but how loud will it go?
Last edited by the_b1ues at Mar 28, 2012,
a 15+ watt tube amp is probably your best bet, if you have neighbors that don't mind you being a little loud. I'd think a Fender Super Champ X2, or a Marshall Class 5, but that's a little on the small side.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Ivegot a 15w now so want something bigger to be worth while something between 50-100 so i can use it for small gigs later
Quote by the_b1ues
Ivegot a 15w now so want something bigger to be worth while something between 50-100 so i can use it for small gigs later

You knew that 50 watt is damn loud? 15 watt TUBE is enough for small gigs, I think even 5 watts would be. I would suggest to buy used (and tube). I have a Laney VC30 that I bought for €280. I keep the volume at 1 and it sounds pretty good and much better than any solid state/modeling that I have tried.

About the 50 watt amps: We have an Engl Screamer head that is 50 watts at our band practice place and it's LOUD. We keep it at 2 and it's almost too loud to play in that bomb shelter and can easily be heard over drums. You really don't need over 50 watts for any situation. And you can (and should) always mic your amp at gigs.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The 'buy X' or 'buy Y' approach is very misguided. It simply does not work.

There, now that's out of the way: before you buy anything, learn something about amps. A task which you've admitted you've yet to do. Learn the difference between valve amps and solid states; what wattages for each kind of amp actually means (you DO NOT want a 100 watt tube amp for 'small gigs'); how valves/tubes (the same thing) affect tone; what different tones are possible from what amps.

You'll also want to do some market research to see what products are available in your price range, used or new.

The very fact that you are not informed enough to make your own decision should be a sign that you shouldn't be spending your money yet. Random advice over the internet, from people who could be completely wrong, will not get you the amp you want. You have to do some work to find out what exactly you want.

That said, kangaxxter's advice of a small tube combo is not bad. Probably the best bet for £300, but you can only know that for sure if you actually know your stuff. The info's all out there.
^ People are asking questions because they want some suggestions. They want to know what amps to look for. And if somebody finds something good then it might be good and worth checking out. That's why there are forums in this site.

But to suggest something: Check out some Laneys (VC/LC15/30 or Cub, though I haven't tried it). They are pretty cheap and if you can find them used they fit your price range. My suggestion is that sell your Marshall MG so you have more money to spend. Of course sell your amp when you know what you are buying. Being without an amp can be boring.

I think people here will suggest Jet City JCA 20 watt and Blackstar HT series. They are usually recommended here because they are cheap and in your price range.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 30, 2012,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ People are asking questions because they want some suggestions. They want to know what amps to look for. And if somebody finds something good then it might be good and worth checking out. That's why there are forums in this site.

But to suggest something: Check out some Laneys (VC/LC15/30 or Cub, though I haven't tried it). They are pretty cheap and if you can find them used they fit your price range. My suggestion is that sell your Marshall MG so you have more money to spend. Of course sell your amp when you know what you are buying. Being without an amp can be boring.

I think people here will suggest Jet City JCA 20 watt and Blackstar HT series. They are usually recommended here because they are cheap and in your price range.

Moneys not really an issue, i dont need to sell my Marshall i just dont want to spend more than about £300 on and amp at the moment. Some people are saying you dont need more than 15watt. I may not need that right now but if im going to get a new amp i wont to improve on what i have other wise what is the point.

There is a 2nd hand shop near me i really just asking for recommendations so i can keep a look out.
Last edited by the_b1ues at Apr 1, 2012,
Quote by the_b1ues
Moneys not really an issue, i dont need to sell my Marshall i just dont want to spend more than about £300 on and amp at the moment. Some people are saying you dont need more than 15watt. I may not need that right now but if im going to get a new amp i wont to improve on what i have other wise what is the point.

There is a 2nd hand shop near me i really just asking for recommendations so i can keep a look out.

we are trying to recommend better amps. more wattage does not necessarily equal better sound. just because an amp is more powerful does not mean it will be a better amp. an orange dark terror (15 watts) is miles better than a Marshall MG halfstack, as an example.

really consider what you need. if you're after a better amp, maybe something loud enough to gig or jam with, you don't need a 50-100 watt monster.
To summarise, take your guitar (and any effects you are keeping) around a couple of stores and try some amps out. If you're close to Stoke-on-Trent I can recommend Academy of Sound; close to Chester give Dawsons a try; close to Exeter go see those guys at Project Music.

All of these, coupled with your own ears, will give a more polished answer than we can here.

Hope it works out.
Gibson SG Special 60s Tribute
Boss TU-3, NS-2, CS-3, OD-3, CE-5
Ibanez DL10
Fender Blues Junior III
Delta Blue 5 string resonator banjo
Aria Pro II Passive P-J Bass
Aria Pro II Active Music Man Bass
Laney BC-120 Bass Combo
Quote by the_b1ues

if you want an upgrade and money isn't an issue, then buy a better amp. It's pretty simple.

e.g. traynor ycv50b on thomann (£480 or so).

Also, i think it's worth pointing out that wattage is no indication of quality. there are good 15 watt amps and bad ones, just like there are good 100w amps and bad ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by the_b1ues

it's a decent modeling amp, pretty versatile and you can get a footswitch to change between your presets.

another popular model is the peavy vypyr, fender mustangs and roland cube series.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
From personal experience I would say get a vypyr. Probably the Tube 60 with sanpera would be your best bet. I had the 70 and it was enough to keep up with a drummer in a rock/metal band
About the 50 watt amps: We have an Engl Screamer head that is 50 watts at our band practice place and it's LOUD.

Hell, I've got a 40w Fender HRD combo, and I've never gotten the thing past 3 or 4. Any louder and I annoy the neighbors (whom I like) and scare my dogs (whom I love). That means the amp never gets to stretch it's legs, as they say, and I can't get it into that range where natural breakup/distortion starts to occur because of volume. You know, that sound that formed the basis of hard rock?

Which is one reason I'm looking to add some kind of small (5-20w) but high-quality amp to my gear, like an Orange combo (or maybe something more exotic). Still plenty loud, those things, small as they are- good enough for gigging in most venues.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 19, 2012,