Hello,
So I have the opportunity to trade a Fender Strat for an Epiphone Riviera P93. I need a little bit of input on it, though. Any riviera owners who could help me out, that would be great. First, how is the build quality on it? My brother says Epiphones have crappy build quality (I also own an Epiphone Dot I love, great quality, but he won't be swayed). Also, how does it sound? I have heard it sounds muddy and muffled, but some people say it sounds great. Finally, how are the bigsby and tuners? I know they aren't the real deal, but are they decent enough to stay in tune? I play music like the Black Keys, the Raconteurs, John Mayer, and Silversun Pickups. I like fuzz, but also like clean and slightly overdriven tones. I plan on upgrading it, but I need it to be good enough stock that my parents will let me get it. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the incredibly long post.
Quote by DrewMeyer
Hello,
So I have the opportunity to trade a Fender Strat for an Epiphone Riviera P93. I need a little bit of input on it, though. Any riviera owners who could help me out, that would be great. First, how is the build quality on it? My brother says Epiphones have crappy build quality (I also own an Epiphone Dot I love, great quality, but he won't be swayed). Also, how does it sound? I have heard it sounds muddy and muffled, but some people say it sounds great. Finally, how are the bigsby and tuners? I know they aren't the real deal, but are they decent enough to stay in tune? I play music like the Black Keys, the Raconteurs, John Mayer, and Silversun Pickups. I like fuzz, but also like clean and slightly overdriven tones. I plan on upgrading it, but I need it to be good enough stock that my parents will let me get it. Thanks for the help, and sorry for the incredibly long post.

you think that your post was long...

I own a P93, LTD... 3 P90 pups, Wine red, with a Bigsby.

The finish on my guitar is flawless.. The Gold hardware will tarnish a bit in the places where your skin touches the bridge, but in my opinion, it makes it look played... adds character... the "E" on the pick gaurd is a metal decal, and it's likely to come off.. kinda gets in the way anyway... It stays in tune, even with pretty aggressive use of the Bigsby, just put a little graphite from a pencil lead on the bridge saddles and the nut... Once the strings are stretched out, it's solid. (keep in mind that the bigsby isn't inteded for Dive Bombs... Its for tremelo) If mine got stolen, I'd get another one...

The guitar is wired differently, so folks that try to use the knobs like you would a Les Paul are going to get a very muddy tone out of it. Each pickup has a Volume control and the center Pup is always connected.. there is only one tone control, behind the Bridge volume control (where the bridge tone knob would be on a Les Paul) The Middle pickups volume control is where the bridge pickup volume would be and the bridge volume knob is behind that The switch options are Bridge and Neck... (as I said before, the middle pickup is always on.

Getting your tone is a little tricky at first, but you'll get used to it pretty quick.. Start with the middle pickup turned all the way down, then add a little bit... It will get muddy if you turn it all the way on... but it does add a lot of body in small quantities...

I play blues with it through a Fender Twin Reverb... Sounds great to me..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!