Okay, I'm kinda putting my pedalboard together and I was wondering about some stuff...

For now I've got a Boss tuner, overdrive and noise gate. These all seem perfectly fine to me, but if you can recommend any better ones to me please do so. I'm planning on a Boss chorus and phaser too.

Im planning for an awesome distortion pedal. The point is, I've tried a DS-1 before, and it gave an OK sound, but not enough gain for me. With an overdrive after it, it sounded awesome, but I want a good sound with a single foot tap. So far, I haven't found any Boss pedals that seem to have enough gain. The Metalzone sound thin and the the Metalcore sound too compressed. I don't know about the Mega Distortion though.

I've heard EhX makes some good pedals... what would be the highest gain distortion pedal on the market. I want one with more gain than I really need so I can go all crazy with it.

Also, on overdrive pedals, I want a good one too. A distortion for metal and an overdrive for more classic rock sounds. I'm eyeing a Boss SD-1, but I'm not sure yet. I'm running it through a good Blackstar amp through the clean channel and I want a real monster sound. I've also thought about the Boss Power Stack... any suggestions?

Oh, and if any of you guys can recommend me the Ehx Ravish Sitar or that one synt pedal? I'm also interested in those.
Generally, you cannot compare one company vs another because they all do different things best. That being said, Boss is generally garbage. They only Boss pedal (barring some Keley modded ones) I've ever thought was good was the NS-2.
what blackstar is it?

mega distortion isn't great

in my experience running two pedals often sounds better than one. the mega high gain pedals often sound like ass (as you've found)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
bos dd7 seems to be a an time a lot of people like here. I can say I dont really enjoy their distortion pedals (at least the ones I've tried) and well that's all about it. EHX on the other hand... I've never came across a pedal I didn't like (as in quality-wise not somethign that I found useful/unuseful
I feel the the DS-1 has high enough gain, but only when using a high output pickup and the volume on the amp has to be pretty loud. A step up from that would be the DS-2. As for chorus and phaser, personally I would go with Electro Harmonix on those. Boss pedals have more settings and knobs, but EHX gives you those crazy out there sounds.
Drop an extra 5 dollars and buy a pro co turbo rat or digitech hardwire metal if your dead set on a dirt pedal. Chances are you would be better off with an od, like a tube screamer and such. Boss and lower end e-h are pretty bleh though.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
For higher gain sounds you usually want a fairly raunchy highish gain petal like a distortion or fuzz running into an overdrive, with both on. The OD will "smooth" it out and give you a more natural compressed sound and feel than you'll probably find in one distortion.

Regardless, I'm not sure that EH really makes anything that suites what you're looking for in a distortion. The big muffs are all fuzzes and while those would work well in conjunction with an overdrive they might not hold up on their own, and certainly won't give you a 'modern' distortion tone. The first thing that actually came to my mind that might work for you is the MXR Distortion III, which has a nice smooth tone and decently high gain. But I wouldn't say it's the much more powerful than some of the bosses, so who knows?

Boss makes great pedals, across the board. They're just kinda the Toyota of guitar effects: huge company, reliable products, (usually) affordable prices, but at the end of the day they're just kinda bland. EHX is definitely a more 'exciting' and quirky bunch, but that doesn't necessarily mean 'better'.

Also be aware that most places run their demo pedal setups into little solid state amps, which do NOT respond to gain pedals (distortion/overdrive/fuzz) the same way a tube amp would, regardless of size or style.
I think you should broaden your scopes a little outside of Boss and EXH pedals. As others have pointed out here and in other threads, Boss pedals are generally very overrated for the price you pay, you can do far better with the same money. It saddens me to see EHX heading in this direction too these days, just loads and loads of digital effects in generic similar metal boxes. If it's good-sounding distortion you want, try looking at a ProCo RAT, they have quite a few to choose from. If you can get an older one used, do that, as they sound better (Speaking from direct experience here).
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
I gotta be honest having tried out a few Boss distortion pedals I settled with owning none - the last one was the MD2 mega distortion and I've booted that for the Suhr Riot but that's not massively high gain.

Try the Okko Dominator, Amptweaker Tightmetal, the Openhaus Toneczar, Wampler Triplewreck - personally I think it's worth paying a bit extra for a nice distortion pedal.
Electro Harmonix doesn't really make a straight up Distortion pedal do they? I've recommended Big Muffs a million times so let's mix it up a bit this time.

Honestly I like the DS-1 by Boss. I prefer the DS-2 though. Proco Rats are even better. Especially if you can get one Made in the USA.

MXR Distortion Plus isn't bad either.
first off, boss only makes 2 dirt pedals worth money and they are not high gain. 1 is the OS-2 OD / distortion. it can actually get moderately higher gain and has a ton of tonal control. the other is a blues driver. the rest are complete garbage.

do NOT get an SD -1. that might be the worst.

EHX makes great drive pedals. the muff series are classics and thier higher end tube pedals like the english muffin are pure sex.

HOWEVER, those are not what you want. your going to need to search elsewhere. blackstar makes some, but tube powered pedals generally require 18 volt supplies. can you handle that? i personally run a 1 spot and i dont want to worry about a different, seperate, power supply.

there are hundred of boutique brands. the rat is a good thrash type pedal. suhr riot gets up there, i dunno. i cant name em all. hundreds. bottom line, please look elsewhere than boss and EHX.

...BTW, the EHX pedals are more fuzz pedals or really muffy, dirty, boxes, not a cleaner, midrangey, tubecreamer type pedal.
Quote by Chargrill3d

Try the Okko Dominator, Amptweaker Tightmetal, the Openhaus Toneczar, Wampler Triplewreck - personally I think it's worth paying a bit extra for a nice distortion pedal.

While i dont disagree about getting more for your buck, the guy is looking at boss and ehx and you recommend toneczar openhaus which is like $375 new with a masssive wait list?
Well, he didn't mentioned a budget so I believe that's an open chart. And I do believe that was the most helpful post too.

Now my (and most people's too) opinion: Go to a big music gear shop and try a lot of pedals (if you can).

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
New Boss pedals aren't that great. They have made some really good pedals, but they were made in Japan in the 80's mostly.

For a current metal pedal that's good, look into the Hardwire Metal Distortion. The name is really misleading, because pedals with "metal" in the name are almost universally terrible, but this one is actually one (possibly the only) good "cheap" pedal for metal.

As for an OD, I like the Boss SD-1. I've also heard good things about the Blues Driver, but I'm not sure how much gain it puts out. Also from Hardwire, the Valve Distortion is actually really good sounding for lower gain stuff - I highly suggest you check it out.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
you mean the super distortion? i think its just a misunderstanding. of you are using it as an OD (gain down) perhaps its ok.

everybod i know with these cheapo boss pedals runs them with the gain maxed for distortion and its the most buzzy, horrid thing ive ever heard. its like a wanna-be billy corgan tone with a HUGE shortfall.

really its aweful. dude i play with runs that straight into a fender super reverb. its a beast of an amp and there is no way to drowned him out...and its his house. so i cant give him a ton of crap. gain maxed all the time.

...but i feel like stopping in the middle of the song and throwing that damn pedal out the window.
Quote by ikey_
everybod i know with these cheapo boss pedals runs them with the gain maxed for distortion and its the most buzzy, horrid thing ive ever heard. its like a wanna-be billy corgan tone with a HUGE shortfall. .

I see this so often, kids assume that having a 'heavy' tone means having gain maxed out. Some of the heaviest guitar sounds I've heard have been with the gain backed off, too much just turns everything into mush and fizz.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
the only boss distortion pedal i would look at is the power stack.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
How bout a Boss DS-1 with Keeley, Seeing Eye and Ultra mods?
Chris

My Gear-
Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM, First Act VW GarageMaster
Amps: Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/ Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3,
Mxr Fullbore metal is also nice, can sound like shit if you're not careful, but I use it with the gain half way, mids and freq 3/4 and the bass halfway with treble completely scooped, and am pleased with that.
honestly, the boss OS 2 is not bad for a higher gain tone. its my favorite boss drive pedal.

but really, you can ask for on the market cause the pedals you are describing are budget pedals.

honestly, get an EQ pedal and run it after the distortion. best thing you can do for a HEAVY chugga chugga sound. there is now way a budget gain pedal through a non 1000+ amp is going to really sound that heavy like in a recording of enter sandman. your going to need help with the overall tone and frequency and no drive pedal will do that.

i say buy a used boss ge-7 EQ in good shape. got mine for 40 bucks. then buy the drive pedal of your choice and run em together.

also....get an EQ with a level control. if you dont use the EQ for tone shaping, boost the volume and you have clean boost pedal! thats what i do.