E---5-9--
B---5-8--
G---6-7--
D---5-7--
A---5-8--
E---5-9--
Last edited by SuperWeirdoUG at Mar 25, 2012,
It's called the Blabberspastical Mode.

Now you should be satisfied. But are you in a better position.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
It's called the Blabberspastical Mode.

Now you should be satisfied. But are you in a better position.

You're just trying to look cool. Everyone call that the BS mode
THanx guys ,
"its not the destination.... so much as the journey" one once said
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
Have you found the sound you were going for at least ?

Yeah man, by finding the name of the scale he's now making music that's never been made before.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah man, by finding the name of the scale he's now making music that's never been made before.

Stop being so negative. Why don't you just assume he watched a video and was curious to know what scale was being used. Why not ? This is a musician talk forum and with only a simple question like that nobody can assume that the TS thinks he's going to be special with a scale. I know you read a lot of shit and that you are tired of it but you don't have to assume the worst all the time.

Now don't go thinking I'm defending all those people who constantly ask the wrong questions and who refuse to understand because I'm not.
the guy on the vid didnt speak to much of the scale If I knew the name I could perhaps find/ and learn more
Quote by Marqway
the guy on the vid didnt speak to much of the scale If I knew the name I could perhaps find/ and learn more

I watched the video and basically this is a D minor pentatonic with a major 3rd instead of a minor 3rd just like i thought. You don't need to see it as a new scale, it's just a slight alteration of a scale you may already know.
Quote by SuperWeirdoU
Have you found the sound you were going for at least ?

it might be, but sometimes its hard to tell right off the bat you know, once i can learn it over the whole fret board and get familiar with it ill know, but from listening to it , it sounds nice

personally Im really looking for the "Andy Timmons - Carpe Diem" sounding scale but thats for another thread discussion,
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
I watched the video and basically this is a D minor pentatonic with a major 3rd instead of a minor 3rd just like i thought. You don't need to see it as a new scale, it's just a slight alteration of a scale you may already know.

that might be why he's playing 3 notes on some strings rather than a typpical 2 note per string for pentatonic
The major 3rd is right next to the 4th which allows you to play the M3, p4 and p5 without stretching.
Quote by AlanHB

It allows him to speak in a vernacular with other musicians, and also might give him a larger repitore of scales if he were to know where to look for similar scales.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
It allows him to speak in a vernacular with other musicians, and also might give him a larger repitore of scales if he were to know where to look for similar scales.

As a musician myself, I would understand "minor scale with a major 3rd accidental" more than the "Blabberspastical Scale".

So I'd push TS to learn how to use accidentals in addition to the major and minor scales rather than searching for a name.
Soundcloud
Even better than knowing the scale: Knowing your intervals ;D
Learn your intervals, train your ear, you won't have to look up what scale :P
Quote by greeneyegat
Even better than knowing the scale: Knowing your intervals ;D
Learn your intervals, train your ear, you won't have to look up what scale :P

this. because, frankly, i see the words "indian pentatonic scale" and i've already registered in my mind that i'm dealing with a musician who doesn't know his shit.

i don't even have to listen to what you posted, and i guarantee you that shit is in a minor key with a major third used as an accidental.

i've said it a thousand times before, so why not repeat myself? people, stop worrying about scales, and start worrying about keys.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
All the guy in this video is doing is:

...Playing generic blues licks (see blues scale)
randomly accenting the maj6 (see dorian)
at one point randomly plays phrygian dominant for half a measure.

This isn't a "scale" or AN EXOTIC INDIAN scale...It's basic blues with articulations and accidentals that make it sound less generic. Mostly just doing the dorian blues thing...which happens over the IV in most blues tunes anyway.
Quote by AeolianWolf
this. because, frankly, i see the words "indian pentatonic scale" and i've already registered in my mind that i'm dealing with a musician who doesn't know his shit.

After you posted this I decided to have a look myself. You'll be very disappointed in what you view.
Soundcloud
I was just pointing out that by calling whatever scale we're talking about, "an Indian scale", it just opens up a whole 'nuther theoretical can of worms.
'Dominant Pentatonic' or even worse 'indian pentatonic' is just a dominant chord with the 4th acting as an appogiatura/passing note/auxiliary note depending how you use it.
Quote by griffRG7321
'Dominant Pentatonic' or even worse 'indian pentatonic' is just a dominant chord with the 4th acting as an appogiatura/passing note/auxiliary note depending how you use it.

Well the same could be said of the minor pentatonic which is basically a minor 7th with the 4th added in. I actually like to see it as an arpeggio.
The moral of the story here is that...it's how they're playing what they're playing that makes it sound "indian", not the summation of all the notes these may have used.