Either, there was already a battery in your 81/60 combo, or they were not active EMG's. You see, active EMG's NEED a battery to work, period.
Quote by Strats&Cats
Either, there was already a battery in your 81/60 combo, or they were not active EMG's. You see, active EMG's NEED a battery to work, period.

this
and no passive emg dont sound at all like their active counterpart imo
That guitar the Ibanez RG321 does not have passive pickups. They are active.

"The RG321E is loaded with an EMG H4A active humbucker pickup in the neck position and an EMG H4 active humbucker pickup in the bridge position"
Yes they are passive, pickups (the H4s). I've never used them myself but based on other experiences I have had, passive EMGs are pretty much rubbish. That said, I think the H4 used to be loaded in Alexi Laiho's guitars for a while so it may well be a decent passive EMG. The RG321 was a decent guitar though, the one I played anyway.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
EMG HZ's suck for the most part. Hence why you find them on cheaper guitars.

I've had decent experiences with the H2 though. Much better than the H4's that comes stock on everything.

I haven't personally tried them yet, but the new EMG SRO pickups are supposed to be very good for the price, much better sounding than their HZ stuff.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X