Poll: Is college the new high school?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is college the new high school?
Yes
38 32%
No
37 31%
wut.
45 38%
Voters: 120.
Page 1 of 2
I visited my friend's college and I noticed most people there looked/acted like they were 15. I ate lunch with him in the cafeteria and there was a table of people who were throwing spitballs and using the f word for every other word out loud. It looked like high school without disciplinary monitors.

A lot more kids these days go to college than say 20 years ago. This is also the "peter pan generation", so do you think college is really the new high school and high school is the new middle school? It really seems like so to me.
College is the same college.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
I chose my uni on the idea that I wanted a completely new location, if you go to a Junior College around these parts, you'll see traces of extreme immaturity in kids, but going to a respectable uni seems to show less of this behavior. Of course this is strictly from what I've experienced in the 2 JC's I've been to and 5-6 Uni's I've attended/visited friends at
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Depends on which college, of course.

Edit: Wait, what type of "college" are you talking about? As in, A Levels/IBs? Or University?
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Mar 25, 2012,
Why's this the peter pan generation?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
People can be idiots and not be in high school.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Colgate Total
"Disciplinary monitors"? Wtf kind of high school did you go to?

My high school was run like a prison. There were also monitors walking around with walkie talkies ready to take anyone who seemed out of line to the disciplinary chief. When I was in christian school, they would even smack kids around with wooden paddles for saying things like "oh my god".
Quote by ErikLensherr

Because skinny jeans are the new tights
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by ErikLensherr

Cause I am Robin Williams.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by blake1221
Generation of people that refuse to grow up.
Ok. I've never seen the movie, so I didn't understand what he meant.
ggg1 ggg3

I know what you're saying, TS.

College IS just like high school- there are the honest, hard working bunch that will be successful, and the self-entitled losers who coast by only to feel the consequences later.

I'm so glad I've been done with it for 5 years.
Quote by HowSoonisNow
My high school was run like a prison. There were also monitors walking around with walkie talkies ready to take anyone who seemed out of line to the disciplinary chief. When I was in christian school, they would even smack kids around with wooden paddles for saying things like "oh my god".

All I can picture is a little kid singing along to Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites. The part where it goes "Yes oh my god!" Then the drop is accompanied by this little youngster getting his behind wooped by the aforementioned wooden paddle.
Quote by Saint78

Quote by HowSoonisNow
"peter pan generation"

I thought it was the Peanut Butter generation.
I can only listen to so many breakdowns and "spoken word" vocals before I wanna puke.

I find Jennette McCurdy attractive, but Elizabeth Gillies and Debby Ryan much more so.

That's enough, Djent people. We get it.
Quote by behind_you
OK. I've never seen the movie, so I didn't understand what he meant.

That would be beneficial to the analogy lol. Peter Pan lives in Neverland, where you never have to grow older.
Quote by Colgate Total
"Disciplinary monitors"? Wtf kind of high school did you go to?

Having been in two high schools, I assumed it was normal to have monitors
Quote by blake1221
That would be beneficial to the analogy lol. Peter Pan lives in Neverland, where you never have to grow older.
ಠ_ಠ

I'd never want to live there.
ggg1 ggg3

Not necessarily in terms of maturity, but I voted yes on the grounds that some college is going to be as essential as a high school diploma to this generation.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Or maybe it's just college students acting stupid like they always wanting to but now having the opportunity to do so because their parents or teachers aren't there.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I just think that when we were younger we looked up to older kids and thought how cool and mature they were. But the older that we get we realize that people aren't really changing that much so we base our opinions on how we expected them to act. Most people at a good university though aren't anything like highschool.
Quote by Dwight.Schrute
All I can picture is a little kid singing along to Skrillex's Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites. The part where it goes "Yes oh my god!" Then the drop is accompanied by this little youngster getting his behind wooped by the aforementioned wooden paddle.

No skrillex in the 90's

Quote by chev311e
I just think that when we were younger we looked up to older kids and thought how cool and mature they were. But the older that we get we realize that people aren't really changing that much so we base our opinions on how we expected them to act. Most people at a good university though aren't anything like highschool.

When I was young, I thought college students really were just adults who had jobs but wanted to learn more so that it could help them be better workers. It ended up being like a long summer camp.
Last edited by HowSoonisNow at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by HowSoonisNow
No skrillex in the 90's

Wasn't supposed to be literal at all. Looking back I really do not understand what the hell I was talking about.
Quote by Saint78

My university everyone is pretty mature, their are the occasional jackasses.

University my friend goes to is like high school part 2. I think it just depends where your at.
On the contrary, I think that my high school is becoming community colleges, albeit with much stricter rules, after the introduction of the new "College in High School" thing they're doing where kids will be leaving as college sophomores on their way to becoming juniors.
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
I kinda see where you're coming from dude. I'm in my first year at college, and I don't act too much different than I did in high school, but I wasn't the person trying to get all the attention in high school, y'know what I'm saying? I definitely see some people acting the same, but as a whole, I feel people are more mature.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Quote by shavorules42
On the contrary, I think that my high school is becoming community colleges, albeit with much stricter rules, after the introduction of the new "College in High School" thing they're doing where kids will be leaving as college sophomores on their way to becoming juniors.

Yeah, but grad school is becoming a regular thing now. It's becoming common for people to even get 2 master's degrees, making college a grand total of 8 years.
Last edited by HowSoonisNow at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by blake1221
Are black people the new white people?

Don't lower White people like that
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by HowSoonisNow
No skrillex in the 90's.

Oh, so that's why the 90s were so much better! It all makes sense now.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
Oh, so that's why the 90s were so much better! It all makes sense now.

Also this
Most people at my uni are pretty mature but my friends who are studying elsewhere seem to have regressed.
cat
My university has mature and immature people, no one notices a mature person unless they are mature for their age.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
My university has mature and immature people, no one notices a mature person unless they are mature for their age.

Ha, I must be really mature then.

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by blake1221
Generation of people that refuse to grow up.

thats how it is everywhere.

people just stand in whatever they are doing for something else.

high school = hanging out in parking lots drinking
college = hanging out in bars drinking.

thats about it.
Page 1 of 2