Not sure if I put this in the correct subforum, if anyone can direct me to the correct place that would be greatly appreciated.

I've been trying to teach myself piano for the past three months now but my practice schedule is mainly just doing a bunch of scales. See I can look up a set of things on the internet but I wouldn't know where to begin. I am not even sure scales was a good place to start.

To make a comparison to guitar, when I was learning the first thing I did was learn the basic chord shapes and then I learned to switch between chords. But with piano it seems that I spend a lot of time and reach nowhere when practicing with the left hand and the right hand. After which I still can't use both of my hands at the same time.

So my question is, what would be a good beginner's practice routine that will allow me to at least play some kind of song?
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
I have the same problem. Using both hands at the same time is very very hard. Have you tried youtube?
The best: Find a Teacher.
Second Best: Instead of playing scales, play pieces. You don't need to practice in order to play simple pieces, you play simple pieces in order to apply and develop the skills needed to play other more difficult pieces.

EDIT: Technically wise, when you learn a piece, you may find it easier to learn what you should play with one hand, then with the other and to practice using both hand afterward. Eventually you may not need to do that.
Last edited by SuperWeirdoUG at Mar 25, 2012,
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
Second Best: Instead of playing scales, play pieces. You don't need to practice in order to play simple pieces, you play simple pieces in order to apply and develop the skills needed to play other more difficult pieces.

this. i can play scales up and down, eyes closed, what have you, and i'm working on a bach fugue...everything i know about playing scales on piano isn't helping me at all. scales are a great supplement and it's great to know them, but they're not even close to the be-all/end-all of technique.

learn to read music, if you haven't already. tab will do you no good here, and if you're just interested in playing chords, you'll need to know theory if you want to do anything but memorize 5,000 shapes. buy a book of beginner piano pieces and start from there.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
@Aeolian, are you focusing most of your time on the guitar or on the piano ?

these days, piano definitely takes up more of my time. i try to do both, though. but today alone i spent 2 hours working on only two pieces of music (like i said, one of which is a bach fugue, so 2 hours isn't really all that much ), and i haven't actually practiced guitar in a few days. usually, though, my guitar practice regimen these days focuses more on jazz lead playing and getting more chord voicings under my fingers.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Mar 26, 2012,
I'm exactly in the same boat as you, but I just try to learn a lot of songs to both improve technique and repertoire, and also checking stuff out on youtube has helped a bit. Check this out btw:
http://freebeatlessongbook.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/thebeatlesallsongs19621974.pdf

Sheet music for every Beatles song!
That's what I'm working on atm, I think that after I've learned to play all my favorite Beatles songs rather effortlessly I'm gonna have a pretty solid ground to stand on and then I'll start specializing more into blues and jazz which is my long term goal right now.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG

EDIT: Technically wise, when you learn a piece, you may find it easier to learn what you should play with one hand, then with the other and to practice using both hand afterward. Eventually you may not need to do that.

Yeah I think I'll just start learning how to play songs.

Quote by AeolianWolf
this. i can play scales up and down, eyes closed, what have you, and i'm working on a bach fugue...everything i know about playing scales on piano isn't helping me at all. scales are a great supplement and it's great to know them, but they're not even close to the be-all/end-all of technique.

learn to read music, if you haven't already. tab will do you no good here, and if you're just interested in playing chords, you'll need to know theory if you want to do anything but memorize 5,000 shapes. buy a book of beginner piano pieces and start from there.

Well I know to form the basic major and minor chords but for more complex things because I don't automatically know each note in each scale, I find that I can play say Em7 at a glance. Most times when I look up music theory lessons on youtube, the just show me the basic notations but in some sheet music I will see a notation and have no idea how to play it. For example, chords.
My experience with piano is I watched a performance of Turkish March several dozen times on youtube and it taught me the basics of emoting through a piano. I'm not a piano player so I prefer not to learn chords and structure on that instrument, but the internet has a lot of resources everywhere.
Quote by Lateralus32
My experience with piano is I watched a performance of Turkish March several dozen times on youtube and it taught me the basics of emoting through a piano. I'm not a piano player so I prefer not to learn chords and structure on that instrument, but the internet has a lot of resources everywhere.

Yeah that's the thing, but the bad part is that I can never seem to find a basic beginner lesson plan. It's like me now beginning guitar and learning arpeggios without knowing a thing about the basic chord shapes. I am not sure if I am explaining it correctly though.
You should find yourself a teacher and get practice lesson from him/her and you should practice in morning time.