Here it is; would it be better to get a Squier VM P Bass and put some EMG P-X pickups in it or get a used MIM P Bass?

Edit: I want to play many kinds of rock, from RHCP to Iron Maiden to Oasis. If I found a Ray34 used I would go for it in a heartbeat, but I'm trying to be a little frugal.
Last edited by Cowless at Mar 25, 2012,
Why would you want to put an EMG in your P Bass? For RHCP and Maiden I'm willing to bet there are better choices. I'm not well versed in P pickups, but I know Steve Harris uses a SD Quarter Pounder.
I pride myself on my humility.
Quote by mtshark
Why would you want to put an EMG in your P Bass? For RHCP and Maiden I'm willing to bet there are better choices. I'm not well versed in P pickups, but I know Steve Harris uses a SD Quarter Pounder.

They're easy to install and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've heard them though, and it sounds like a huge improvement on the standard p-bass sound to my ears.

But I really haven't a clue what I'm doing here. Hence the question.
Quote by Cowless
Here it is; would it be better to get a Squier VM P Bass and put some EMG P-X pickups in it or get a used MIM P Bass?

Edit: I want to play many kinds of rock, from RHCP to Iron Maiden to Oasis. If I found a Ray34 used I would go for it in a heartbeat, but I'm trying to be a little frugal.

Well I'd get whatever bass felt best. VM are great for the money, MIM used are sweet deals as well.

A P bass is a rock n roll standard, and the EMG is in the opposite direction of all the sounds you want.

A passive P bass is a sound to behold, and fits everything. Only problem is you'd want round wound strings for everything but the Iron Maiden.
Quote by askrere
Well I'd get whatever bass felt best. VM are great for the money, MIM used are sweet deals as well.

A P bass is a rock n roll standard, and the EMG is in the opposite direction of all the sounds you want.

A passive P bass is a sound to behold, and fits everything. Only problem is you'd want round wound strings for everything but the Iron Maiden.

are flats really that necesary for maiden stuff?
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by Sudaka
are flats really that necesary for maiden stuff?

Well nothing is "necessary" unless your in a tribute band of course.

I was merely adding the info since most new people want to sound just like every bassist they love and want to buy upgrades and stuff without real evidence if any said choices would help them achieve their wide goals.

Googling X bassists gear, generally nets results of expensive amps (which dictate your tone a lot more than bass or pickups) fancy pedals and expensive basses.
Quote by askrere
Well nothing is "necessary" unless your in a tribute band of course.

I was merely adding the info since most new people want to sound just like every bassist they love and want to buy upgrades and stuff without real evidence if any said choices would help them achieve their wide goals.

Googling X bassists gear, generally nets results of expensive amps (which dictate your tone a lot more than bass or pickups) fancy pedals and expensive basses.

understood and agreed
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2