Hello. I've been playing around 4.5 yrs. I have done a bunch of reading on music theory and I understand and apply modes and modal playing on the guitar. I also get chord construction and chord progressions, although I'm not terribly well versed in these areas. I play metal and am looking for advice on what areas of theory to study next. What will be most helpful?

Thanks in advance, lemme know if you need more info.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
first off, I'm gonna go ahead an inb4 a useless argument about modes.

Now to be legitimately helpful:
Hello. I've been playing around 4.5 yrs. I have done a bunch of reading on music theory and I understand and apply modes and modal playing on the guitar. I also get chord construction and chord progressions, although I'm not terribly well versed in these areas. I play metal and am looking for advice on what areas of theory to study next. What will be most helpful?

If you're not too well versed in chord construction and progressions, read up some more on that subject. Inversions, different chord progressions, different ways of using suspensions and whatnot are all subjects that I have found interesting to study. Start with baroque music, which usually has good, (relatively) non-complex examples of those ideas. As you get more comfortable look at Romantic and jazz music, which contain combinations and more complex permutations of those ideas.
Last edited by Geldin at Mar 25, 2012,
*useless argument about modes*

Im basically where you are so ima watch this thread very closely.
Pretty much what Geldin said, learn more about chord construction and chord progressions. also start to analyze music.

analyzing music of all sorts will be extreamly helpful.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Hey dude there's a pretty cool website from a guitar teacher who talks a lot about music theory and he has some kind of "blueprint" of all the things you can learn in music theory (or most of them) . I use it all the time and it is pretty good. Maybe you should try it. And yes, it is for free. :P

link removed

Hope it helps

David
^
Be careful posting links that require subscriptions to receive content. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as an advert, since it gets the guy site traffic and subscriptions, which UG doesn't allow. I'm gonna report your post for advertising to be on the safe side so the mods can decide.
You're right I can't stand that under-handed marketing bullshit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I have a fleeting understanding of inversions and am not at all sure what suspensions are lol. I'll begin there and keep plugging along. Thanks all

Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Quote by GeetarHeero
I have a fleeting understanding of inversions and am not at all sure what suspensions are lol. I'll begin there and keep plugging along. Thanks all

Suspensions are sus chords. So primarily sus2 and sus4. It's just replacing the third of a chord with a 2nd or 4th.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by steven seagull
You're right I can't stand that under-handed marketing bullshit.

Hey there, Im really sorry about that I dind't know that this was not allowed, in fact you could easily unsubscripe after you've gotten the list I was talking about.
Personally I subscribed to some of that websites, and you get some good lessons there, even "big" guitar instructors on the web like Justin Guitar or Rockongoodpeople did this simetimes.

Bit I can fully understand that this concept is also primary a concept of marketing because this people want to get their name out there.

So again sorry for the link.
Quote by Junior#1
Suspensions are sus chords. So primarily sus2 and sus4. It's just replacing the third of a chord with a 2nd or 4th.

I went and read about inversions and suspensions last night. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a suspended chord (i.e. Esus4) is not the same thing as a suspension. If I understood correctly, a suspension occurs in the melody line and is a continuation of a chord-tone note through a chord change that is not part of the new chord followed by a resolution down to a chord tone of the new chord. For example, an E is being played over a C chord. The E note continues as the backing chord changes to a G. Lastly, the E resolves down to a D which is a chord tone of G whereas E is not.

I'm mainly checking my own understanding here. Thanks.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
It might help a lot to become friends with the piano a little bit if you already haven´t.
In addition to visualizing things very clear by the fact that notes don´t get repeated, you can start recording other sounds for your songs!
Hit me if you want more data on that subject!
Take care!