A few weeks ago I purchased a 50w tube amp. No effects, no thrills, no gimmicks. Worked like a charm and sounded great. The past couple days it's seemed really quiet. Not deathly quiet, I can still get feedback and whatnot, but it's not screaming in the clear tones like it was a few days ago. It's at maybe half the volume. A week or two ago the amp finally broke up when it was solidly into earplug range. Now it's not very loud at all when it breaks up.

I've used it as a guitar amp and as a bass amp (I play bass in a band and needed it as a backup while my GK was in the shop). I've been smart and only used bass cabinets when playing my bass through it.

Also, I don't know if this is normal or not, but shortly after I started experiencing this problem I set down a 2L of coke on top of the amp. A huge rattling noise came out of the amp. Simple by tapping my fingers against the housing I was able to repeatedly recreate that rattling noise. Is that normal for a tube amp?

Just wanting to see if anybody might know what could be wrong. I'm planning to take it into my local music shop tomorrow. The guy who owns the place makes tube amps for a living, but I'm wanting to see if this is a big or minor deal. See, I need the amp at the end of this week for a wedding.

If anybody can help me know what's going on it'd be very much appreciated.

EDIT: And the power tubes are only a few months old. Ruby tubes. I've been moving the amp around a lot lately if that could be a problem though.
Last edited by Saving Hawaii at Mar 26, 2012,
Sounds like common symptoms of dying preamp tubes, which are fortunately very cheap.

The rattling is weird though.

What amp is it?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Sounds like common symptoms of dying preamp tubes, which are fortunately very cheap.

The rattling is weird though.

What amp is it?

Sovtek Mig-50.

Glad to hear you think it's simply preamp tubes. I was hoping it wasn't any worse than that. First tube amp I've owned. And yeah, the rattling seemed weird to me too. I kinda figured it wasn't normal for a tube amp.
Last edited by Saving Hawaii at Mar 26, 2012,
Pull your tubes out and plug them back in again. A poorly seated tube will do what you are describing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Pull your tubes out and plug them back in again. A poorly seated tube will do what you are describing.

Thanks. I'll give that a try in the morning. Really hoping that's my problem.
So I pulled all of the tubes and put them back in place. Didn't really notice a difference there. And when I tap on the outside of the amp, say on the top of the box or on the grill in the back it still makes a big rattling noise that comes through the speakers. Would love to have a tech look at it and plan to soon, but my local music shop doesn't appear to be open right now. It's been that way the last couple times I've shown up. So, soon.

If anybody knows what the deal with that rattle might be I'd love to hear it.
Quote by Saving Hawaii
So I pulled all of the tubes and put them back in place. Didn't really notice a difference there. And when I tap on the outside of the amp, say on the top of the box or on the grill in the back it still makes a big rattling noise that comes through the speakers. Would love to have a tech look at it and plan to soon, but my local music shop doesn't appear to be open right now. It's been that way the last couple times I've shown up. So, soon.

If anybody knows what the deal with that rattle might be I'd love to hear it.

sounds like microphonic tubes....which means they are going south. sounds like a tube change is in order....your amp guy can tell you for sure though.

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab