My school is doing this thing where students can submit music to be put on a compilation CD, and I'm going to try to submit this. But before I do, I want UG's opinion on it. I suck at mixing a lot, so if anyone has any tips for me here, I would appreciate that greatly. Also, has anyone had experience trying to mic a Micro Cube? I haven't gotten much luck in getting the mic'd sound to sound like the amp sound. Might be the preamp or something, as I've heard could be the cause, but then again, I know nothing.

http://soundcloud.com/asparagusfiend/rageoftheasparagus-1

Anyways, take a listen, enjoy if you want, and please leave feedback. I don't even care if you're bashing it, as long as I can get something out of it.

(Also, the end has this sort of climatic part that kind of falls off a very steep cliff. Does it sound like I could just leave that like that, or should I add something to bring it back down more smoothly?)

Edit: This is a new mix, hope it's better. http://soundcloud.com/distortedpixel/furyoftheasparagus
HEY HEY HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME

...never mind, I got nothing.

Play the blues in five easy steps!
Quote by SGen
1) Be black
2) Have very horrible things happen to you
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues
Last edited by Apples on Cacti at Mar 27, 2012,
I like the guitar tones, very comforting. Slightly EITS-esque.

What's the weird crackling sound that comes in about halfway through?

When the strummed guitar comes in, it doesn't really sound like it fits very well, or doesn't sit so well in the mix, either way something is off here.

The tremolo section or whatever it is sounds alright, but I prefer the slower sound. The tone is just too good. The tone's for the strummed guitar and the tremolo one don't sound good enough to be in the same song as the slower section tone haha.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1528858
I hate metronomes too!

The melody in the beginning really makes me wanna listen more, that's good. And as I hoped, it built up.
I don't think the mixing is bad, but I'm not quite good with mixing myself.

And yes, as King Turi mentioned, the strumming part doesn't fit too well.
I would probably suggest to add delay to the tremolo part and just go with long notes, since it would fit the atmospheric theme.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1528511
Wow, wasn't expecting that at all! The first half is beautiful, really, and I rarely find this sort of music holds my attention. Seriously, the tone at the start is wonderful You know how to get a nice, full sound out of the guitar so that's a good sign for future stuff.

Negative points: From around the middle onwards, there are a few points where your main track is clipping (it's too loud and needs pulling back/compression to prevent it hitting 0dBFS and clipping); as someone else mentioned, there is a weird crackling effect that starts up for a while and unfortunately is a bit too noticeable because of the stripped back arrangement; possibly the cause of the crackling, if it starts off quieter, is the guitar that comes in with the semi-muted strumming... that guitar needs to be levelled out in volume then brought up in the mix just to show it's there, without covering the main part, because at the moment it just sounds like a distraction until you get used to the idea being conveyed; and finally, the final guitar part to come in is way too quiet and thin, and this means the song suddenly drops in level really noticeably. It also has several places when tracks come in/out where you need to crossfade in/out that region so it doesn't suddenly pop as it starts at a non-zero crossing.

Most of those negatives are not so bad though, and are fixable (with the possible exception of the crackling that may be in the original track and unavoidable without re-recording) so if you just sort out the different levels a bit, this could be something magical.

Edit: Oh, and the name of it doesn't fit for me - makes it sound like some amateur scene/'core band trying to be funny... but, the music is great If you want to, you could crit this though I'm not sure whether you like that sort of thing haha.

P.S this actually works really well as a freeform piece, rather than following a click track - good work!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Mar 26, 2012,
Quote by DisarmGoliath

Negative points: From around the middle onwards, there are a few points where your main track is clipping (it's too loud and needs pulling back/compression to prevent it hitting 0dBFS and clipping); as someone else mentioned, there is a weird crackling effect that starts up for a while and unfortunately is a bit too noticeable because of the stripped back arrangement; possibly the cause of the crackling, if it starts off quieter, is the guitar that comes in with the semi-muted strumming... that guitar needs to be levelled out in volume then brought up in the mix just to show it's there, without covering the main part, because at the moment it just sounds like a distraction until you get used to the idea being conveyed; and finally, the final guitar part to come in is way too quiet and thin, and this means the song suddenly drops in level really noticeably. It also has several places when tracks come in/out where you need to crossfade in/out that region so it doesn't suddenly pop as it starts at a non-zero crossing.

Most of those negatives are not so bad though, and are fixable (with the possible exception of the crackling that may be in the original track and unavoidable without re-recording) so if you just sort out the different levels a bit, this could be something magical.

Edit: Oh, and the name of it doesn't fit for me - makes it sound like some amateur scene/'core band trying to be funny... but, the music is great If you want to, you could crit this though I'm not sure whether you like that sort of thing haha.

P.S this actually works really well as a freeform piece, rather than following a click track - good work!

Thanks to everyone for taking a listen, I appreciate the feedback. DisarmGoliath raised a lot of points that everyone else had, so I might as well reply to these comments. First off, in regards to the overpowering volumes, I actually had those taken care of in Garageband, but then for some reason, the track's overall volume got jacked up when I uploaded it to Soundcloud. :/ No idea why. And bahaha, this buzzing you're all talking about is actually probably a part I had in there that I put at a pretty low volume. It's just a looped palmmuted triplets thing, and I guess that since it's at such a low volume, it probably just sounds like a hum or a buzz. And of course, some of the buzz is probably also from the volume levels getting a little out of hand.

Also, you mentioned some places where I need to fade stuff in. I'm not entirely sure I know what parts you're talking about, so could you possibly point them out for me? Thanks.

And to that last part of the name: That was just because I couldn't think of any other name. I know the name is stupid, but it's actually based on how I wrote the song. I had food poisoning from spoiled asparagus, and the rhythm part for this song popped into my head while on the crapper. I wasn't going to submit it under that name anyways. Any suggestions?

Quote by SGen
1) Be black
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues
Nice tune. I have about the same problems as everyone else, but I also like the same things. I can't give much mixing advice, because I suck at it.
But I kind of like the name. It makes me feel like I'm getting more of a surprise, because I'm expecting an ugly/dumb/faux-metal sort of thing and instead I get beautiful melodies
Thanks for listening, and yeah, the I did name it with a little bit of that intention, haha. Still, though, I can't really submit it with this name. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Quote by SGen
1) Be black
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues