Hello! which one should i choose for about the same price. Do you have some experience with them? I would use it for smaller gigs and practice with band.

I am choosing between:
1. Marshall Valvestate 80V 8080 - 80Watt
2. Marshall Valvestate VS65R - 65 Watt
If you get a Valvestate, get the 8100.

You should only get a Valvestate if you're a huge Death fan. It can't do much more than that Symbolic tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbp60IX_jFQ

I don't recommend buying it.

If your looking for an amp, please fill out this:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Mar 26, 2012,
Ok, sorry but i think you 2 are overreacting. I think no amp is only for one genre and its not the sound that makes the genre but the playing style. Thats my opinion.
Quote by kitarmen
its not the sound that makes the genre but the playing style

Take a moment or two to think about that....
ok, both sound and playing style are making a genre. but i think all amps are for playing multiple diferent genres.
Last edited by kitarmen at Mar 27, 2012,
Sorry TS, but I'm going to call BS. Sure, all amps produce sound, but the fact is that not all amps produce a desired sound for specific genres. Like, a stock fender champion 600 can be used to ply death metal, but it will most likely sound.....ass-y, in lack of a better word.

Let's use car racing in general as a metaphor: The driver's skill and experience is vital, but if you give Formula One driver X a car designed for rally, and put him up against other Formula One drivers, who would be using Formula One cars, X would most definitely lose. Why? Because even though he is in the world top when it comes to skill, he still need tools that makes it possible for him to show his talent.
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Last edited by Fishybones at Mar 27, 2012,
I had a VS 65R for quite a few years, with an Eminence something or other speaker. It wasn't a bad little amp; I enjoyed the crunch and cleans. It certainly sounded better than the MG halfstack I "upgraded" it with. (You can all laugh -- everybody is entitled to his or her mistakes.)

However, the VS had a hard time competing with both of the drummers I've played with -- and as far as drummers go, I don't think they were too crazy, just decently loud. It's been quite a few years since I played one though; I'd probably think it sounds like shit now, after having owned a tube amp.
TS - have you actually tried either of the two amps you are considering? What has led you to narrow your choices to these two amps?

The opinions of all the people who have posted claiming your selections are crap mean absolutely nothing. Only your opinion counts.

The only way to make this decision is to go to a shop and try both (as well as all the other amps that fall within your budget) and decide for yourself which you like the best.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
decide for yourself which you like the best.

So i did. Marshall 8080 is far better.
80 solid state watts isn't quite gig-worthy. Get the 8100 if anything.

Wow you must like death metal almsot as much as me :p

\m/

May your tone sacrifice many virgins, and eat them afterwards.
Quote by kitarmen
Ok, sorry but i think you 2 are overreacting. I think no amp is only for one genre and its not the sound that makes the genre but the playing style. Thats my opinion.

That's besides the point. That point being: Both amps are sub-par and should be avoided unless you get them for a low price (say, 100€ or lower).

Even the 8100 is a piece of crap.
Quote by TheQuailman
That's besides the point. That point being: Both amps are sub-par and should be avoided unless you get them for a Death cover band

Even the 8100 is a piece of crap.

Fix'd

Oh, and +1. It's such a bad amp.

TS, fill this out, and we may be of more help: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

If you don't fill it out, I'm going to recommend that this thread is closed, because I'm starting to think your a troll. That or just a noob.
Quote by kitarmen
So i did. Marshall 8080 is far better.

Nice one - so long as you tried them and made your own decision, none of the posts here matter.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
80 solid state watts isn't quite gig-worthy.

That depends on the gig

I used to have an 80w solid state amp and it was plenty for all the gigs I needed it for at the time.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^It doesn't matter anyways, this thread is so full of lols that I don't even.

TS isn't even a Death fan. WTF are you thinking, TS?

Here dude, check this out.

http://www.blueshawk.info/peavey_classic_30.htm

It's a great clone of the Vox AC30. This amp freaking ROARS, I would say it's at least as loud as my 140 watt solid state amp. The cleans are amazing, like that still-clean-but-really-warm tone. The overdriven sounds can get pretty raunchy as well.

I still don't know what kind of bands you like, but it's a really kickass amp. If you play one, be sure to CRANK IT! These amps love being loud!

I will say that the stock speaker is teh sucks though. Peavey speakers are horrid.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Mar 27, 2012,
Quote by GaryBillington
The opinions of all the people who have posted claiming your selections are crap mean absolutely nothing. Only your opinion counts.

In fairness its not like we ambushed him as he left guitar center... he did come in here asking for opinions.
Your right, the ts's opinion is the only one that counts, but its probably uninformed - how many people have bought a spider or MG only to wish they hadn't. Most these people at the time thought they sounded good too, but as they gained more experience realized they sounded like balls - we're taking time out of our day to stop other people making the same mistake.
If an MG or a Spider gets the sound someone wants, why shouldn't they buy it? I've never tried the spider, but I had an MG a few years ago and it wasn't a bad amp. Yes, in time I outgrew it, but it served me well during the time I had it. The only reason I stopped using Marshalls and bought the amp I have now is because my needs changed, not because I had made a poor decision in the past.

If TS has tried an amp and got the sound he wants, then it is the right amp for him. There is no way for him or anyone else here to know what he will want in the future.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
But it's common sense! That amp can do one thing well; metal. I was in a band with someone that had one. It's pummeling-sounding, heavy as hell, and very tight.

It's a poor mans metal amp. Simple as that.

If you want rock tones in a solid state amp, try to track down an old Strandel. The Lovin' Spoonfuls used one of those.

It sounds kinda neat.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Mar 27, 2012,
Common sense?

Common sense says you should try the amps yourself and buy the one you like....

If you were buying a car would you just post on a forum asking for other people's opinion? No. You'd go out and try a few, then you'd buy the one you like.

Same thing goes with amps, guitars and anything else you might want to buy.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
If an MG or a Spider gets the sound someone wants, why shouldn't they buy it?

If you are an experienced player who knows what they want, goes and listens to a spider an loves the sound - go for it.

Its when the buyer is inexperienced that it is a problem - they have no idea what sounds good, you could plug the guitar into a loaf of bread and they would think it sounds awesome! Then in the coming months they hear other amps and develop an ear for tone and begin to realise how sub-par there amp is.

But with regards to the TS, your right, seeing that he is in a band and gigs he obviously has some degree of experience, so if he likes the sound of the 8080 then thats cool, its his money - but if he's asking (and he was) my answer is still neither.
Quote by GaryBillington
If you were buying a car would you just post on a forum asking for other people's opinion? No. You'd go out and try a few, then you'd buy the one you like.

But on this I couldn't agree less.

Im no car expert, so once I found the sort of car i was after, I would be asking anyone and everyone if they knew anything about, was it reliable, any issues, resale value etc.

Frankly how much I liked driving it would be pretty insignificant if the people I asked all said the car would be a lemon.
Yes yes, some people will like amps that others might not like... some people will enjoy amps that the majority of others will strongly dislike.

Let's try an analogy: Most of us like our sex to be pretty 'vanilla'... yet, some others might be into anal fisting while being suspended from the ceiling by cables with hooks logded in their skin.
No doubt some can enjoy the latter, but it is still not a good idea to recommend trying that to unexperienced people. Simply because they will likely not know what they are getting into and it could end up really ugly.
Likewise, it's not a good idea to recommend amps that there's a largely negative consensus about to unexperienced players. Simply because they will likely not know what they are getting into and it could end with the loss of a lot of money.

Most people who would indeed be interested in the kind of amp we're talking about would probably be looking for it's distinctive tone - and that's usually people who know what they are doing and you probably wouldn't find them making a thread like this on an internet forum.

There's an off-chance the Valvestates are just what TS is looking for. Emphasis on off. So off I'm not going to bother much with it.

Oh, and I didn't mean to demean anal fisting by comparing it to crappy amps. Sorry if anyone got offended.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 27, 2012,
Valvestates are great if you want to sound like crap. If fingernails down a blackboard is your sound, go for it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by TheQuailman
Oh, and I didn't mean to demean anal fisting by comparing it to crappy amps. Sorry if anyone got offended.

Its a pretty fair comparison - Both have dirty outputs, beginners always go bigger than they should and you always end up regretting it.
Last edited by zero at Mar 27, 2012,
Quote by GaryBillington

Actually, yeah, I would study the hell out of it. It's common sense that everything on a '92 Jetta kicks ass, but if anything goes it's going to be the engine head. That's a lot of time/money. So, I'm simply not buying a high-miles Jetta from '92.

A low miles Jetta. Pull out the power steering and put in the biggest feckin turbo I can fit. I would totally buy a high-miles Accord though. Those things run forever.

You don't look into a car before buying it? Wow, that's kinda retarded.

Quote by Cathbard
Valvestates are great if you want to sound like crap. If fingernails down a blackboard is your sound, go for it.

\m/

<3
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
But it's common sense! That amp can do one thing well; metal. I was in a band with someone that had one. It's pummeling-sounding, heavy as hell, and very tight.

It's a poor mans metal amp. Simple as that.

If you want rock tones in a solid state amp, try to track down an old Strandel. The Lovin' Spoonfuls used one of those.

It sounds kinda neat.

Depends if by 'rock tones' we mean the standard sounding tones you expect or if TS is going to buy what he wants, even if that means it sounds different to the norm.

The best tone Zappa ever had for instance was when he played black napkins on that tiny pignose amp. I don't particularly care that it wasn't some big fancy amp.