I'm thinking of getting a new bass after sticking to my Dean for 4 Years. So I'm currently liking the Squier Jazz Basses, but the problem is, I don't understand the difference between the kinds of Jazz Basses (Affinity, Classic Vibe, Vintage Modified, and etc...). I'd like to ask you guys what are the differences of these types of Jazz basses. I'm planning on buying one in a few weeks so I'll need your opinions.

I have a budget of about 400$. I play almost any genre of music, but mostly pop/rock/blues, so I'd like the bass to be very versatile.

Opinions?

GRAY RAINBOW

Affinity is the low end
Vintage modified is higher

People generally regard the vintage modified as the best Squire J bass you can get
Affinities have a track record of poor quality control
Mine is pretty good, however my mates is poor

Tbh though, if you extended your budget slightly, you could get a Mexican Standard jazz Bass by fender
Your choice though
Quote by Highelf04
Affinity is the low end
Vintage modified is higher

People generally regard the vintage modified as the best Squire J bass you can get
Affinities have a track record of poor quality control
Mine is pretty good, however my mates is poor

Tbh though, if you extended your budget slightly, you could get a Mexican Standard jazz Bass by fender
Your choice though

Vintage Modified series usually sound better than the Mexican Fenders.

There's also the classic vibe series which is about $50 for expensive then the vintage modified.

I would recommend a vintage modifie or classic vibe squier.
Bass:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Acoustic Guitar:
Squier SA-100
well, from worst to best:
California J bass
Affinity Jazz bass
Squier Special (basically a P bass with a P/J configuration.)
Standard J bass (though i migth be confusing it with the affinity)
Vintage Modified Jazz Bass/Classic Vibe Jazz Bass

There isn't much difference between the VM and the CV series, that's why I paired them. you should probably try both and see which one you like better. It's almost only a difference in their look. the CV has dot inlays, is painted, and has regular Jazz Bass knobs. The VM has block inlays, natural body with a lacquer finish, neck binding, and has chrome knobs. also the CV is basswood bodied and th VM is maple bodied.

I personally preferred the VM. also, note that you have 3 different VMs options, the 77 black, agathis bodied, the 70 (which is the one i just described), and the Vintage Modified Jazz Bass (no year) basswood bodied and sunburst finish. still, i think that the 77 and the 70 are more common. i've never seen teh VM alone.

As far as if you should buy or not a used mexican fender instead, i'm not sure. tehre's some who'd say yes, and some who'd say no. i just can recommend you to try both in stores and decide from there.

I just can tell you that the VM i own is my favorite bass, and i love it, not beacuse it is new (after all, it's with me for like 5 months...) just beacuse of the feel and good sound. I can tell you, it's great. even more for it's price tag.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Mar 26, 2012,
This is really helpful, I am looking to get a squier bass and was thinking of the classic vibe or red vm short scale Jaguar bass.
Quote by nerdofprey
This is really helpful, I am looking to get a squier bass and was thinking of the classic vibe or red vm short scale Jaguar bass.

both good basses, great value. you can't go wrong with either one. however, you will feel one is best fr you. so you just have to try them both, and see which one works best for you.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Alright, so I'm thinking of trying the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe ones. I highly doubt that I'll have enough patience for a MIM Fender though. Thanks guys. This helps.

GRAY RAINBOW