I'd like to try to recreate Jack White's main solo tone as best as I can, and I'd appreciate it if you guys could help.

The sound i'm after is jack's go-to scratchy ass solo tone, as heard on many of white stripes, dead weather, ect. Songs. (icky thump, ball and biscuit, yadda yadda)

for this I'm using my vyper 30, because I don't have any other effects, other than an rp55 that's sitting at a friends house right now.

I'm sure i'm going to need a fuzz effect, and i'm not sure but maybe even an octave? I've never used either of these before so i'm not sure how to work my way around them.
Any help, suggestions or advice is appreciated.

thanks in advance.
Last edited by robertsanidiot at Mar 26, 2012,
whammy pedal
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
i dont know. his tone is kind of hard to nail. seems like he's using his bridge pickup a lot. lots of treble.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Digitech Whammy Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi (set at about 5, 5, 10)
EHX P.O.G
MXR Micro Amp

So most of Jacks dirt comes from a Big Muff, standard NYC issue that you would find in the large box, he has his rehoused in a traditional hammond style stompbox as he crushes the flimsy tin ones. Set the knobs to 5, 5 and 10 for a good white stripes tone. The Digitech Whammy is used for octave up in solos and stuff while the P.O.G is used for all the lower octaves.

A Silvertone amp helps aswell

Edit: The micro amp is because the P.O.G and Whammy pedals are tone suckers so you need that extra kick in front of them.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Last edited by ne14t at Mar 26, 2012,
I'm not really looking to buy gear for this. It's just for fun really. I just wanted to see if I can get close with what I have so far. If it can't be done i'll be able to live without it. But if it can half of my jam time would be that much more fun.
Well for a basic Jack White sound, you just need a fuzz pedal, bridge pickup, something like a P90 I think would work best. Keep your tone rolled up, lots of treble. Should get you close enough to a Jack White-esque tone.
I used the Bad Cat setting.
Chorus :20
Octover :40
Pitch Shift 1:00
No FX 1:20
Pitch Shift again 1:40 on

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=d5a5a72d.mp4

I made this for someone in the Vypyr thread that was interested in Jack White. Same riff. Kinda boring. Pitch Shift sounded pretty good.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I used the Bad Cat setting.
Chorus :20
Octover :40
Pitch Shift 1:00
No FX 1:20
Pitch Shift again 1:40 on

http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=d5a5a72d.mp4

I made this for someone in the Vypyr thread that was interested in Jack White. Same riff. Kinda boring. Pitch Shift sounded pretty good.

It would seem i'm not able to view the video in the link. Says it's been removed.