Hey, I looked at the first page of the recording forum but since I know very little on recording I decided to make a thread, since I need the answer quickly. If anyone can show me any thread with this topic, that would be great as well.

So basically I just need to record a very simple guitar or mandolin only piece and I have never done any serious recording before. So can anyone tell me the simplest way to record some simple song with alrightish quality? I will probably have access to my school's music room tomorrow, so I guess I could use some equipment there, but I am not sure what equipment there is.
There are two main options:

1 - Get an interface to enable you to use a PC for recording
If you want to get into recording as a serious hobby (or potential career), this is the best option. There's a fairly steep learning curve when you first get going, you need to have a reasonably powerful PC if you start using several tracks at once (doesn't sound like this will be an issue in the short term) and you are reliant on having the PC available to you whenever you want to record. If you need to use lots of virtual instruments, this is the only option.

2 - Get a multitracker
Digital multitrackers can do pretty much everything that the software equivalent can. They are a slightly higher initial outlay, however once you have one you can use them to go from basic idea to fully finished product in a single purpose built unit. Unlike PCs, they are designed for home recording projects, so they are usually easier to use and are also much more portable so you can take them anywhere without needing to go through the hassle of setting up your PC & interface each time you go somewhere.

In my opinion, if "recording for dummies" is what you're after, you definitely need to go with the multitracker option.

Do you know what equipment your school's music room has? If it has recording capability, it will be one of the two options listed above, so if you just want to record yourself as a one off, you choice will be limited to using whatever the school can provide.

Whatever you do though, it will take time and practice to get a good quality product. Learning to record is like learning a whole new instrument. Don't expect a professional quality result on your first attempt.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Alright, thank you a lot for your info!
Well it is rather a one time event, since it is for a school project.
So I won't be able to buy any fancy/serious equipment. I thought that maybe it would be possible on a very basic level, as in just plugging a microphone into the PC and then just record. But it seems like that won't give any decent quality or is that possible?
I will go and check with the music teacher whether there any such possibilities in the music room, since that seems best for me right now.
Any other important/basic things to remember or follow when recording something?
For a one off event, the best advice is to trust in your music teacher.

He/She will want you to do well, so they will do as much as they can to help you, and they should know how to get the best out of the school's equipment - even if they don't, they'll know someone who can.

Plugging a mic directly into a PC will only result in poor quality, however I'd expect a school's music room to have at least one of the two options I mentioned in the original post, possibly both.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud